BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] New Laptop Advice

• Backroom

So my HP DV9500 has decided the screen no longer wants to work and just to rub it in the hinge has snapped on the screen, so I think I'm in need of a new laptop.

Basically I just want something to brows the net, store my pics, synch my ipods and burn DVD's from my videocamera

Anyone any advice on what i should go for?

So my HP DV9500 has decided the screen no longer wants to work and just to rub it in the hinge has snapped on the screen, so I think I'm in need of a new laptop.

Basically I just want something to brows the net, store my pics, synch my ipods and burn DVD's from my videocamera

A mac. That's the best I can suggest. Just thought I'd give you SOMETHING since no-one's replying. You'd have been better putting this in ICBINF imo ;)

For what you want and low price this should do the job for you - click

This Samsung from Argos is good, it comes with three years warranty which is going to be a huge plus over other things in that price range. Also included is a free laptop bag and USB mouse (click 'Special Offers' to add those).

There doesn't seem to be as much choice at the lower end of the laptop market as there was, I think this is due to the rise of Netbooks.

I'd love a Mac but the entry price of £700 at least is a bit scary

I got round this by buying off e-bay. Why? Well, many Mac fans are early adopters and have to have the latest spec machine meaning there are really good pieces of kit to be had at knockdown prices with specs that are still very good especially when you consider you get more speed per Hz of processing power than on a PC as the OS is so much better. Our family is entirely Mac-based and I only bought one new

• 3 weeks later...

I had an HP laptop as well, a DV6000 I think it was.

Funnily enough, my screen went blank on boot-up as well. And after 10 months or so, my machine couldn't detect teh wireless card either.

A little digging revealed this: http://www.hplies.com/

and this: http://www.nvidiadefect.com/

Suffice to say I'm pretty hacked off, I spent £500 on my laptop, and didn't get 3 years out of it. That's pretty shoddy value-for-money if you ask me.

I bought a reconditioned dell machine off ebay for £215, it works for me. Doubt I'll but a new windows machine ever again. I'll either keep buying recon, or I'll switch to Mac. suffice to say I won't be buying HP ever again.

Doubt I'll but a new windows machine ever again. I'll either keep buying recon, or I'll switch to Mac. suffice to say I won't be buying HP ever again.

A lot of Mac laptops had the same nvidia problem. On the plus side, Apple customer service is brilliant - fixed my nearly four-year-old, out of warranty Mac for free when it needed a whole new logic board.

• Backroom

I had an HP laptop as well, a DV6000 I think it was.

Funnily enough, my screen went blank on boot-up as well. And after 10 months or so, my machine couldn't detect teh wireless card either.

A little digging revealed this: http://www.hplies.com/

and this: http://www.nvidiadefect.com/

Suffice to say I'm pretty hacked off, I spent £500 on my laptop, and didn't get 3 years out of it. That's pretty shoddy value-for-money if you ask me.

I bought a reconditioned dell machine off ebay for £215, it works for me. Doubt I'll but a new windows machine ever again. I'll either keep buying recon, or I'll switch to Mac. suffice to say I won't be buying HP ever again.

Yep I have a thread on Nvidia defect, I think I'm about to give up trying though now

Archived