BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Fútbol, Le Foot, Voetbal, ποδόσφαιρο

I thought it would be a good idea to have a topic based on football around the planet. I expect there are a lot of people who regularly watch football in other countries so this could be a good thread to post the latest news from around the world.

Just to start it off.

Derbyshire scored the only goal to give Olympiakos a 1-0 victory away to Panionios. He's bagged his 1st goal since joining the club on a permanent deal.

Ex-Villa midfielder Thomas Hitzlsperger has quit Stuttgart and signed for Italian side Lazio. I've been trying to find out how much for but no luck at the moment. Anyone else know? Wouldn't have minded him back in the Premier League wearing our blue and white halves.

• 2 weeks later...

Lorient lost away at Nice and drop to 10th. Crazy that my husband chooses to go and support a team when we're away on holiday and they turn out to be so like Rovers it's unbelievable. An unfashionable team from an industrial type town happy to first stay up and then push as far up the table as possible. They do have an excellent manager in Gourcuff and some good players but lost out a bit this summer when they sold some of their better players to bigger clubs.

• 3 weeks later...

Messi has just scored a lovely goal to put Barca ahead. Very close in La Liga with them both on on 62 points and a goal difference of 2 before todays game.

Also, my German team St Pauli eventually stopped a winless run, winning 5-3. Still in 3rd, would be ace to see them in the Bundesliga.

Grasshoppers (Zurich) are in a rich vein of form at the moment and have moved up to 4th place in the Swiss top flight after today beating St Gallen 2-1. Since their stadium was demolished three years ago, they have shared the Letzigrund, which is home to arch city rivals FC Zurich. Recent problems with the roof at the Letzigrund has meant that Grasshoppers got behind with their fixtures whilst it was repaired. Fixtures are now coming thick and fast but Grasshoppers are taking advantage nicely.

Grasshoppers have struggled financially over the last few years and whilst they are record holders for both Swiss titles and cups, it is a few years since their last trophy. FC Zurich are currently the better supported of the two Zurich clubs and indeed clubs like FC Basel and Young Boys (Bern) get a lot more on each week than Grasshoppers.

I have adopted them as my team whilst we are in Zurich - the underdog status and the blue & white halves sealed it for me.

Lorient lost away at Nice and drop to 10th. Crazy that my husband chooses to go and support a team when we're away on holiday and they turn out to be so like Rovers it's unbelievable. An unfashionable team from an industrial type town happy to first stay up and then push as far up the table as possible. They do have an excellent manager in Gourcuff and some good players but lost out a bit this summer when they sold some of their better players to bigger clubs.

My Dad is the same. We have a holiday home about 20 miles from Lorient and when we are over we go and a catch a game if they are at home. I've been to the Stade Moustoir to see five or six games down the years. They are currently redeveloping it and it will look well. Christian Gourcuff is by far the biggest asset the club has. He has turned some unheard of players into real stars in France. Michael Ciani was a rock in their defence for years and moved to Bordeaux last season. He's recently been called up into the French team. Fabrice Abriel is another good player, who got a big move to Marseille and is one of their key players. Lorient is a small city, with a pleasant city centre and marina, but which is predominantly working class. Like Rovers, they have punched above their weight and this down to Gourcuff. He wanted to quit at the end of last season, but the Chairman wouldn't let him. Marama Vaihura is good player for them, as is Kevin Gramerio, but I think they have found their level in France. I would be a huge Rennes fan and was at the Breton derby in November at the Stade De La Route De Lorient. It's one of my favourite grounds. There's always a great buzz outside the stadium before hand. I always feel that they should do better in the league. They do think that they have the ability to break into the group of title contenders. They certainly have the finances, with their billionaire owner. However, their youth academy is incredible and they make a real point of producing players for the first team, instead of just relying on the owners money. They beat Valenciennes away from home to night and of the 11 that started, Yann M'Vila, Fabian Lemoine, Slyvain Marveaux and Jimmy Briand all came through the academy. Their bench is mostly made of players developed from the academy. They are just too inconsistent at the moment, to really challenge for the top 3 and Champions League football. Rennes is about an hour from our house, so I try to get to see them each time I'm over.

Edited by RoyRover

Not sure he's quite once a generation; hard to separate Messi, Rooney and Ronaldo.

They all have strengths and weaknesses, but Messi is by far the most consistent of the 3. In a tight game, Messi would be the one to seperate the teams. Messi FTW