BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Fútbol, Le Foot, Voetbal, ποδόσφαιρο

Does that mean he's banned in the whole of Europe (I expect so)? Or do EU/UEFA rules mean he could play (not be subject to restraint of trade and all that) in the UK?

Well I'm not sure, it is the the German FA who have suspended him. He misses 6 bundesliga games and 2 Europa League games, but he can play for America during that time.

I dunno if that means he'd be able to play in England - maybe the ban would transfer?

Edited by cn174

http://www.soccerway.com/national/mexico/primera-division/2011-2012/clausura/

The Mexican league doesn't have an FA Cup, Copa Del Rey like your European Leagues, they have this oddball setup where basically they have two champions a year and during each season, each team plays just one time but it still comes down to playing a team two times a year. Their league isn't bad but with these drug wars going on, I wouldn't want to go there, period. There are probably some nice areas still but the teams travel all over. Javier El Chicharito Hernandez played for the Guadalajara Chivas (goats) team. From the website, "Clausura" means closing, "Apertura" means opening. I saw about 4 months ago, Sept. Octoberish the international match Mexico/Brazil, Ronaldinho played and seemed real happy and waved to the fans and that was at the Stadium, close to a state of the art stadium in Torreon where Santos Laguna play. Torreon is a bit in the drug war area as is Monterrey but I guess the border area is worse. Almost every club has a number of South Americans, even Americans. They may well have a rule that a certain number of Native Mexicans have to play for the team.

I like the Santos Laguna logo a bit. It's a bit like some of the Spanish clubs, not all but a good number of the Spanish clubs have a crown in their symbol. It's curious you don't see that in England but there must be a case somewhere but for Spain, Real Madrid, Real Betis, Real meaning Royal, it's seems most of the clubs do. 1468.png

Edited by Audax

• 1 month later...

FC Nurnberg v FC Koln last Saturday in the Bundesliga ...

6780637276_3fe7a38a7d_z.jpg

Surely it's time for the football authorities in England to look at this again after so many years.

Especially when rugby league or rugby union games (even if played at football grounds) are not subject to the same restrictions.

The world has moved on since the Football Offences Act 1991 - but at any football match in England - even behind glass in a box or lounge - it remains an offence to drink beer anywhere in view of the pitch. They even draw curtains in the boxes at most grounds, so there is a "back" area where you can retreat to have a sup, leave your beer on the hidden table, and go back through the curtain to watch the game again.

Yet in Germany, every punter in every stadium can buy pints (OK half-litres) of the local brew without even leaving their seats.

Surely it's time for the football authorities in England to look at this again after so many years.

Especially when rugby league or rugby union games (even if played at football grounds) are not subject to the same restrictions.

The world has moved on since the Football Offences Act 1991 - but at any football match in England - even behind glass in a box or lounge - it remains an offence to drink beer anywhere in view of the pitch. They even draw curtains in the boxes at most grounds, so there is a "back" area where you can retreat to have a sup, leave your beer on the hidden table, and go back through the curtain to watch the game again.

Yet in Germany, every punter in every stadium can buy pints (OK half-litres) of the local brew without even leaving their seats.

I could see it working in a civilised country like Scotland but in yobbish uncultured England I'm not too sure it would be as pleasent as you experienced in germany.

Edited by Majiball

I could see it working in a civilised country like Scotland but in yobbish uncultured England I'm not too sure it would be as pleasent as you experienced in germany.

I remember the old tale about when the drinking ban came in, fans were very often seen eating oranges on grounds.. Turns out that using a syringe they had injected them with lots of Vodka!

Or did I dream that one up?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Juve have won Serie A with one game to go. If they win next weekend they'll go unbeaten.

Just watched the Milan derby, if you wanted an example of bad refereeing you should watch the replay!

First time since the 02/03 season that Zlatan hasn't been crowned league champion at the end of the season. And this is with five different clubs; Ajax, Juve, Inter, Barca and AC Milan. That's 8 in a row.

(I know the two Juve titles were revoked, but they still finished first.)

First time since the 02/03 season that Zlatan hasn't been crowned league champion at the end of the season. And this is with five different clubs; Ajax, Juve, Inter, Barca and AC Milan. That's 8 in a row.

(I know the two Juve titles were revoked, but they still finished first.)

Wow - surely that has to be some sort of a record?

That is some show of anger.

BTW. I'm trying to forget about Milan losing last night, and Juve winning Serie A. It doesnt get much worse than that! Juve are the Man United of Italy, and have glory hunting fans all over Italy.

Rovers all but relegated yesterday afternoon, and that last night, capped a terrible season, for me personally. :(

Edited by A cup of beans

What teams do people support in other countries?

I used to be a huge Lazio fan when Italia Football used to be on Ch4 following the likes of Gazza in Italy.

Apart from Lazio I also keep an eye out for Steaua Bucharest after watching a UEFA Cup game there.

I've always followed Barca since they signed Maradona, and more so after they destroyed Man Utd 4-0 in the days of Stoichkov and Romario. After Ewood, the Camp Nou is the stadium I've been to most. After some fantastic recent seasons under Pep I'm a bit worried if Vilanova has what it takes to follow him. Time will tell I guess ....

Also follow Werder Bremen as I have family in Germany who support them (been the very definition of mid-table mediocrity this year!). Never been a massive Italian football fan but favoured Sampdoria back in the days when Channel 4 had coverage and Vialli was the main man.

Apart from seeing Barca play, have also been to see Bremen play Hertha Berlin at the Olympiastadion Berlin, have seen Mallorca play Levante, and would have seen Roma play a few years ago but their fans rioted in Milan the game before the one I was due to see and they were forced to play the game in Sicily!!

Edited by MarkBRFC71
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Grasshoppers, this afternoon, won the Swiss Cup, drawing 1-1 with FC Basel but winning the tie on penalties.

First trophy for a number of years following a period of financial problems and having to play their home games in the stadium of their city rivals FC Zurich. Their ground, Hardturm, was bulldozed a few years ago.

I sense the club is on the way up, finally, and let's hope this galvanises GCZ further.

I'm really, really made up for them.

There's either 16 or 17 teams who are already in the group stages of next season's Champions League. How many can people name?

There are about a dozen players who have won the Premier League (so since 1992), La Liga and the Champions League.

And there are 7 players who have won the English and Scottish leagues since 1992.

No cheating.

There's either 16 or 17 teams who are already in the group stages of next season's Champions League. How many can people name?

There are about a dozen players who have won the Premier League (so since 1992), La Liga and the Champions League.

And there are 7 players who have won the English and Scottish leagues since 1992.

No cheating.

David Beckham

Cristiano Ronaldo

Ruud Van Nistelrooy

Thierry Henry

Henrik Larsson

Henrik Larsson

Roy Keane

John Hartson

Chris Sutton

Colin Hendry

Edited by Stuart

Arsenal won the league after Hartson left.

One played for Utd and Rangers, one for Utd and Celtic (really hard to get)and one for Arsenal and Rangers.

Van Nistelrooy never won La Liga

There's a load of Barcelona players, a lot who played for Chelsea. Two who played for Chelsea and Madrid (one is really hard). Another Arsenal and Barcelona one. Another Utd and Barca one. Can't think who else, that might be it.

Sylvinho

For the 2nd question:

Eidur Gudjohnsen

Makelele

Deco

All correct. Not many get Gudjohnsen or Makelele.

So those four, Beckham, Ronaldo, Henry and Larsson is 8.

Who else is there? A defender who played for Utd and Barca.

A defender who played for Chelsea and Barca.

A midfielder who played for Chelsea and Real Madrid.

I think there's one more, can't remember who atm.