BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Fútbol, Le Foot, Voetbal, ποδόσφαιρο

2 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

World cup winning griezmann. Doesn't that undermine your point slightly

Not really. I said that Messi underperformed at the world cup, not that he shouldn't be in the top 3 because he didn't win it. Pretty simple really. 

Griezmann was good at the world cup, but not spectacular. 

If you interpreted my statement as being that anyone that won the world cup last year would have to be higher than Messi then I would have to rank Messi no higher than 24th. 

1 hour ago, Oldgregg86 said:

I just really struggle to understand how anyone can't see he is and has been consistently number 1 for the last decade.

All this Messi and Ronaldo nonsense. It's Messi and the rest. Ronaldo is the best of the rest

Couldn’t agree more mate

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead

Messi is superb and the best. 

What I admire about Ronaldo the most is how much time he dedicated to being as good as he is. Compare and contrast how he was when he first signed for United and how he is now. Like night and day. Yeah, he’s probably a bit of a tosser, but the way he’s grafted to get to where he is definitely deserves respect.

• Like 2

Just now, Oldgregg86 said:

I just really struggle to understand how anyone can't see he is and has been consistently number 1 for the last decade.

All this Messi and Ronaldo nonsense. It's Messi and the rest. Ronaldo is the best of the rest

So Messi has had the best calendar year for 10 straight years? 

The question isn't has he been the best overall player. It is whether or not he has had the best year. 

29 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Messi is superb and the best. 

What I admire about Ronaldo the most is how much time he dedicated to being as good as he is. Compare and contrast how he was when he first signed for United and how he is now. Like night and day. Yeah, he’s probably a bit of a tosser, but the way he’s grafted to get to where he is definitely deserves respect.

This is exactly why I have more respect for Ronaldo than Messi.

Messi was born a gifted footballer and went to Barcelona at 14 and has been there ever since. A team that has boasted some great players during his time there. He found his groove and has scored an obscene amount of goals. But he has never proven that he is a great player anywhere else - not even a different town!

Ronaldo has moved around and still scored and still won trophies. Yes, he has also been to top clubs but he has had to adapt and start again each time. His work ethic is second to none and he has moulded himself into the player he is today. Yes, he has an image of arrogance but it is a self-belief that he has earned through absolute dedication. I expect he trusts his abilities. But he is also a winner. He demands the best from himself and others. When he doesn’t win, he doesn’t like it. It’s no coincidence that teams he has left have struggled to replace his contribution. Not just goals but his winning mentality.

10 hours ago, Stuart said:

This is exactly why I have more respect for Ronaldo than Messi.

Messi was born a gifted footballer and went to Barcelona at 14 and has been there ever since. A team that has boasted some great players during his time there. He found his groove and has scored an obscene amount of goals. But he has never proven that he is a great player anywhere else - not even a different town!

Ronaldo has moved around and still scored and still won trophies. Yes, he has also been to top clubs but he has had to adapt and start again each time. His work ethic is second to none and he has moulded himself into the player he is today. Yes, he has an image of arrogance but it is a self-belief that he has earned through absolute dedication. I expect he trusts his abilities. But he is also a winner. He demands the best from himself and others. When he doesn’t win, he doesn’t like it. It’s no coincidence that teams he has left have struggled to replace his contribution. Not just goals but his winning mentality.

May i ask why you think playing for Fergie's Manchester United, a Real Madrid team which won 2 league titles from 9 whilst he was there, and a Juventus team who has walked the last 7 years of Serie A football is a challenge and 'proving himself'?

The last one in particular is the equivalent of Messi moving to Man City.

I also don't believe this to be correct. Manchester United got to a Champions League final 2 years after he left (Who got man of the match in that final by the way?) and won 3/4 more premier leagues, can't be arsed counting haha. Real Madrid are on more point this season than they were at the same stage last season and topped their champions league group compared to coming second in it last year.

11 hours ago, Eddie said:

So Messi has had the best calendar year for 10 straight years? 

The question isn't has he been the best overall player. It is whether or not he has had the best year. 

European Golden Boot (so he scored more goals than anyone in europe, anywhere) and league (one loss in the season) and cup double. That's more than Modric won.

To judge a yearly award on one competition that last 6 weeks instead of week in week out is exactly what i said it was, a farce.

2 hours ago, Mellor Rover said:

European Golden Boot (so he scored more goals than anyone in europe, anywhere) and league (one loss in the season) and cup double. That's more than Modric won.

And he didn't play in that League loss. Taking that Barcelona side of last season to the league title was in my opinion the greatest achievement of Messi's career as if you took him out of it they would have been in a battle to make top 4.

10 hours ago, Mellor Rover said:

To judge a yearly award on one competition that last 6 weeks instead of week in week out is exactly what i said it was, a farce.

Just a tip for next time - if you're going to semi-condescendingly explain what something is you had better get it right. The European Golden Shoe isn't awarded simply to the player who scores the most goals, it's a weighted system.

Modric won the champions league, the club world cup, and was runner-up in the world cup (where he won the best player award). Now, I think a lot of people would take that over a league and two domestic cups, if you don't that's ok, it's a subjective award. My point is that you called it a farce. It's not like they selected Joe Hart as the winner. 

8 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

And he didn't play in that League loss. Taking that Barcelona side of last season to the league title was in my opinion the greatest achievement of Messi's career as if you took him out of it they would have been in a battle to make top 4.

I mean, that's one of the dumbest things I've read in a while. They finished 32 points clear of 5th. Now, Messi is their best player and an amazing one at that, but they've got a lot of talent in that side and, whilst they may not have won the league without him (which is still saying his individual impact is worth 14+ points), they definitely wouldn't have been 32+ points worse off. By that logic, you'd arguing that Messi + our team from the mid-2000s would have won the league every year. Hyperbole in the extreme. 

The guy above has said this is like two fanboys arguing, to me it comes across more like a couple of kids who've just discovered who Messi is telling their friends that he can fly. 

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Just a tip for next time - if you're going to semi-condescendingly explain what something is you had better get it right. The European Golden Shoe isn't awarded simply to the player who scores the most goals, it's a weighted system.

You're wrong, that's exactly what the Golden Shoe is. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Golden_Shoe

Edit - I'm wrong. You're right. Humblest apologies. 

Edited by blueboy3333

56 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Modric won the champions league, the club world cup, and was runner-up in the world cup (where he won the best player award). Now, I think a lot of people would take that over a league and two domestic cups, if you don't that's ok, it's a subjective award. My point is that you called it a farce. It's not like they selected Joe Hart as the winner. 

I mean, that's one of the dumbest things I've read in a while. They finished 32 points clear of 5th. Now, Messi is their best player and an amazing one at that, but they've got a lot of talent in that side and, whilst they may not have won the league without him (which is still saying his individual impact is worth 14+ points), they definitely wouldn't have been 32+ points worse off. By that logic, you'd arguing that Messi + our team from the mid-2000s would have won the league every year. Hyperbole in the extreme. 

The guy above has said this is like two fanboys arguing, to me it comes across more like a couple of kids who've just discovered who Messi is telling their friends that he can fly. 

Wasn’t condescending in the slightest. Name me someone in Europe’s top 5 leagues that scored more? It was evident I was referring to those in the running for the ballon d’or and I wasn’t referring to the french 4th tier when I said anyone. If you choose to be pedantic then that’s on you I’m afraid.

It certainly was a farce. A European golden boot and 2 domestic trophies trumps Modric’s achievements in my opinion. You couple that with his goals and assists and Modric should have been nowhere near the ballon d’or top 5. As you said, it’s not solely off team achievements. He also, in my opinion, wasn’t even the best player in Croatia’s team in the World Cup, never mind the whole tournament and he wasn’t the best CM at Real Madrid either.

It’s also very evident from anyone who watches La Liga or the champions league just how important messi is to Barcelona. Night and day when he plays and when he doesn’t. The games against spurs a good example. The first leg vs Sevilla losing 2-0 and then when he plays winning 6-1. I’m not sure Ewood Ace meant it literally and was more a sweeping statement. However it’s not unthinkable that they would have come 3rd/4th without him.

As for the last paragraph, arguably the whiniest, touchiest comment I’ve seen this year on the forum. If you want to test just how knowledgeable I am about foreign leagues, especially La Liga, then please feel free. Might even learn something.

13 hours ago, Eddie said:

I disagree that they have a lot of talent in that side ter-stegen is fantastic, Busquets is very good as is Alba due to is on field fantastic relationship with Messi. Other than that it was as poor a Barca side as there has been for a long time last season to many players past their best or not good enough for Barca in the first place. Take Messi's 34 League goals and 12 assists out of that Barca team from last season they would have been 3rd at best. 

This season they have improved slightly due to the signing of Arthur and due to Dembele settling but again without Messi they would be at best 3rd.

Edited by Ewood Ace

For anybody with an hour to spare I can recommend a documentary on BBC Scotland called Real Kashmir FC. It's available on catch up.

Don't watch it with kids around though. The Real Kashmir manager likes the f word.