BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Fútbol, Le Foot, Voetbal, ποδόσφαιρο

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47570217

This doesn't surprise me one little bit. Not the sharpest tool in the box, being paid too much to do very little, too much free time, working in an industry where gambling is essentially out of control (anyone that's watched Sky will know around 80% of the advertising/sponsorship seems to involve gambling - including all his mates on that crappy football show doing endless adverts).

• Moderation Lead
10 hours ago, S8 & Blue said:

I honestly thought it would take longer.

Bent as fuck.

“As bad as Mowbray”

Not quite....

Some people said that his comments were Kean-esque, where the Mulgrew injury comments probably weren't a million miles away from the 'dew on the grass'!

Absolutely poles apart in any other way, though!

44 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Not quite....

Some people said that his comments were Kean-esque, where the Mulgrew injury comments probably weren't a million miles away from the 'dew on the grass'!

Absolutely poles apart in any other way, though!

Tough. I didn’t like it.

I’ve found an annoying niche now and by god I’m going to milk it.

Edited by S8 & Blue

• Moderation Lead
25 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

Tough. I didn’t like it.

I’ve found an annoying niche now and by god I’m going to milk it.

What was that I said about reading what you want to read?.....

• Like 1

Sit back, relax, and enjoy the best to have ever walked on a football pitch. 

You could score 30 goals a season for 20 seasons straight and get 600 goals. Messi is now on 655 with at least 3 years left at the top. 

Messi is like the best teenager in his Y11 side playing against the local Primary School kids.

He should have tested himself at a higher level by now. Can’t do it internationally because he needs to have quality around him and he hasn’t (and almost certainly won’t) move to another country/league now. He will suffer the same comparisons that Pele did with Maradona: one-club-man at the best club in the country.

Just now, Stuart said:

Messi is like the best teenager in his Y11 side playing against the local Primary School kids.

He should have tested himself at a higher level by now. Can’t do it internationally because he needs to have quality around him and he hasn’t (and almost certainly won’t) move to another country/league now. He will suffer the same comparisons that Pele did with Maradona: one-club-man at the best club in the country.

Higher level?!

Just now, DeeCee said:

Aye, let's see how well he'd have done if TM played him as a full back.

There’s no way he’d be on free kicks over Charlie so that ends that really doesn’t it.

Just now, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

22 goals against English clubs in the Champions League tells me he doesn’t need to prove himself outside of Spain Stuart! 

Remind me, which teams were they for then?

You can’t ignore the fact that he is playing for a team of stars in a tin pot league, let’s be honest. La Liga is just a warmer version of the SPL.

During Messi’s time there, Barca have still won consistently even when he hasn’t been in the squad. They are so far superior to everyone but Ronaldo’s Madrid it’s untrue.

Barca also have the benefit that the bigger PL clubs have domestically, in that referees deliberately or inadvertently favour them.

Messi is a superbly gifted and lightning quick footballer, just naturally brilliant, but he isn’t proven to be the greatest ever player simply because he hasn’t played (let alone achieved) anywhere else other than Barcelona - one of the best teams from 1 to 11, a good fit for him to play in. Slap bang in the middle of his comfort zone. Very happy and very rich. I don’t blame him but he hasn’t tested himself anywhere else or had to adapt to different styles of football - possibly because he is afraid to. He’s on a great number there and knows it.

When I think of Messi, I imagine a South American version of Ally McCoist if he had only ever played for Rangers. Or maybe Jimmy McGrory of Celtic would be a better comparison as a one-club-man record maker. Wonder why nobody has ever mentioned him as the GOAT?

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

Messi and Maradona (and Sellars) are the finest footballers I've ever seen. Messi could play anywhere. He'd scored 50 goals before Christmas in England. 

Could he do it on a cold Tuesday night against Stoke though?

Just now, Stuart said:

Remind me, which teams were they for then?

You can’t ignore the fact that he is playing for a team of stars in a tin pot league, let’s be honest. La Liga is just a warmer version of the SPL.

During Messi’s time there, Barca have still won consistently even when he hasn’t been in the squad. They are so far superior to everyone but Ronaldo’s Madrid it’s untrue.

Barca also have the benefit that the bigger PL clubs have domestically, in that referees deliberately or inadvertently favour them.

Messi is a superbly gifted and lightning quick footballer, just naturally brilliant, but he isn’t proven to be the greatest ever player simply because he hasn’t played (let alone achieved) anywhere else other than Barcelona - one of the best teams from 1 to 11, a good fit for him to play in. Slap bang in the middle of his comfort zone. Very happy and very rich. I don’t blame him but he hasn’t tested himself anywhere else or had to adapt to different styles of football - possibly because he is afraid to. He’s on a great number there and knows it.

When I think of Messi, I imagine a South American version of Ally McCoist if he had only ever played for Rangers. Or maybe Jimmy McGrory of Celtic would be a better comparison as a one-club-man record maker. Wonder why nobody has ever mentioned him as the GOAT?

Sorry Stuart that's possibly the worst reason I've ever heard for him not being the greatest.

Ronaldo went there and was consistently outscored by Messi and won 3 league titles in 9 years. If it was a straight shootout of goals, theres an argument to be had and i'd happily partake in it. You add his passing and dribbling to the equation and its a none starter, the most complete player there's ever been.

PS, for my money, if the 20 La Liga teams played the 20 English teams, they'd win more than 10, i'd probably say around 13/14 of them. Your rhetoric of La Liga being easy is most common in people who are both uneducated in it and/or have never put the effort in to watch a season of it. The technical skill of the average players in that league are double if not treble the average premier league player. The bottom 12 of the Prem are appalling football teams who struggle to a) get a point a game, and b) score a goal a game while the top 6 sweep all before them aside. Hell fire, even Wolves are nobbing teams in it. 

I'm sure this doesnt apply to you though and you watch a lot of La Liga?

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

You're not the type who comes on here to post provocative comments that wind people up so I have to take it that you are serious with this comment. 

Messi is a genius, pure and simple. One of the most gifted footballers ever. He's made everyone he's played against look silly. 

If you don't want my opinion search what any player, former player, manager, or pundit has to say about him. Or YouTube some of his highlights. There are plenty so I'll not post any on here.

Edited by speeeeeeedie
spelling
  • Like 1

That third goal is just unreal. Amazing.

@Gavlar Somerset Rover! which Barca game are you going to? Might have to do that myself in the next year or two.

Also amazed at some stuff I'm reading about the league from which a variety of teams have dominated Europe for the last decade.

Edited by frosty

1 hour ago, frosty said:

Also amazed at some stuff I'm reading about the league from which a variety of teams have dominated Europe for the last decade.

I would think that's because most of the teams in it are perceived to be crap and games uncompetitive. Hence why a player that wasn't deemed good enough for a drab 2nd division Rovers team managed to get a gig in the lower half of La Liga.

ROCHINNNNNAAAAAAA!