BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Fútbol, Le Foot, Voetbal, ποδόσφαιρο

7 hours ago, frosty said:

That third goal is just unreal. Amazing.

@Gavlar Somerset Rover! which Barca game are you going to? Might have to do that myself in the next year or two.

I went last weekend against Vallecano. Insane experience and fantastic to witness the genius in the flesh. Only shame was you could sense that they all had Lyon on their minds so took their foot off the gas once they’d scored the 3rd. If they’d wanted to they could have spanked them. I returned unscathed from Las Ramblas - so a successful trip all round!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Husky said:

I would think that's because most of the teams in it are perceived to be crap and games uncompetitive. Hence why a player that wasn't deemed good enough for a drab 2nd division Rovers team managed to get a gig in the lower half of La Liga.

ROCHINNNNNAAAAAAA!

Anyone who thinks that would be mad. Probably the same people who say that PSG and Bayern can't win the CL because their league is uncompetitive in terms of a title race. It can't work both ways.....

Re. Ruben, I don't think Michael Appleton and Gary Bowyer not knowing what to do with a player with very good technical ability a bit rough round the edges means one league is stronger than the other. 

You could say that King wasn't good enough for us in the Championship yet he banged in 16 in the PL the other year and probably isn't far off this season. But there are loads of factors that come into play with things like that - such as a quality manager in Hughes (as he was then at least) being able to get the best out of Samba from Hertha Berlin reserves.

53 minutes ago, Stuart said:

One club. Consistently playing alongside some of the best players in world football.

If he had some success in just one other top flight league he would be a shoe-in.

All world class players play for teams good enough to have other world class players. It would be bizarre if that wasn't the case.

So if he moves to Juventus in summer, a team with other world class players who've just won their eighth title in a row and scores say 25+, you'd think more highly of him?

He's got zero to prove. 

• Like 2

• Moderation Lead

Messi has nothing to prove by only having played in Spain. He'd immediately be the best current and also the best ever player in the PL if he ever played here.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, K-Hod said:

Scotland getting beat 3-0 off Kazakhstan is still funny today! 

I was watching it live, had a little early finish and pints. My god Scotland were bad. All over he place in defense, kept trying to play offside, badly. 

I wonder what the supporters make of Robertson pulling out of the squad for "dental work". I think that excuse is up there with the dog ate my homework. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

As much as I despise Scott Brown he absolutely did a number on the Rangers players, yet again! Morales would never kick another ball for me and I can't see Gerrard persevering with him beyond this summer.

Hook, line and sinker Andy. Not only did he wind Morelos up but Kent (who will be banned tomorrow) and Halliday too. Brown will be directly involved in three Rangers players being suspended - that takes some doing. Even when Morelos was walking off Brown was still antagonising him by laughing pretty much in his face.

Morelos reminds me so much of El Hadj Diouf with his mannerisms and suspect temperament.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 22/03/2019 at 10:12, K-Hod said:

Scotland getting beat 3-0 off Kazakhstan is still funny today! 

One of my colleagues tipped me off that McLeish would be gone by the end of today so I had a look to see if I could put a sneaky few quid on it. The book was closed and sure enough he has gone, and rightly so!

The Scotland job is a poisoned chalice indeed.

Problem is, Scottish clubs buy dirt cheap players from abroad, not bothering to make an effort with developing their own youngsters both through academies and at mens level.

It's killed the national side. The pool of talent to choose from is staggeringly shallow, with only 2 or 3 players being worthy Internationals.

So whatever the approach it's tough to see any major short-medium term improvements. That said agree Steve Clarke would be a shout, done a cracking job with Kilmarnock and would be less of a stale approach than previous regimes. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Don Said said:

The Scotland job is a poisoned chalice indeed.

Problem is, Scottish clubs buy dirt cheap players from abroad, not bothering to make an effort with developing their own youngsters both through academies and at mens level.

It's killed the national side. The pool of talent to choose from is staggeringly shallow, with only 2 or 3 players being worthy Internationals.

So whatever the approach it's tough to see any major short-medium term improvements. That said agree Steve Clarke would be a shout, done a cracking job with Kilmarnock and would be less of a stale approach than previous regimes. 

And yet Tom Cairney has only been called up twice. Jamie Murphy, same, despite 76 games for Brighton. Kevin McDonald, nearly 100 games for Fulham, 5 caps. Marmite Rhodes, 14 games (3 goals) in 8 years. Ross McCormack, 13 games (2 goals) in 11 years. Liam Cooper, Over 140 games for Leeds, no full caps.

There are bigger issue in Scotland and you have to wonder what the selection criteria is.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Stuart said:

And yet Tom Cairney has only been called up twice. Jamie Murphy, same, despite 76 games for Brighton. Kevin McDonald, nearly 100 games for Fulham, 5 caps. Marmite Rhodes, 14 games (3 goals) in 8 years. Ross McCormack, 13 games (2 goals) in 11 years. Liam Cooper, Over 140 games for Leeds, no full caps.

There are bigger issue in Scotland and you have to wonder what the selection criteria is.

It was a Strachan trait, but does seem to fit all around that they don't pick English born Scots if remotely avoidable. They do have 3 or 4 (Ritchie, Phillips, McTominay) but it should really be more considering players available against some of the dross they've got in the current squad.

I don't think they've ever had an English manager either. Nothing wrong with that but if they're fishing in the pool for Strachan's, Mackay's, Big Eck's and so on surely they'd get a better catch if they looked a few miles South.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Don Said said:

I don't think they've ever had an English manager either. Nothing wrong with that but if they're fishing in the pool for Strachan's, Mackay's, Big Eck's and so on surely they'd get a better catch if they looked a few miles South.

I think Stuart nailed it earlier when he suggested Big Sam

Next Scotland manager needs to be Jack Ross and for five years. Almost the current managers have wasted the talent of Forrest, cairney etc.

But we’ve Tierney and Mccrorie coming through now.

But Scotland have some great talent in the ranks look at the lad mctominay at Utd. Takes a vision a plan and a way of ingrained long term thinking to systematically overhaul a system dismantled since Simith and Levein in my opinion.

Pretty sure Steve Clark bar his outbursts and being manager of the year in the SPL this season either has family or business interest near Kilmarnock hence he took the job. 

Edited by Scotland1

6 hours ago, Stuart said:

That's interesting. A lot of quality in there, (and McCormack) so they're not bereft on decent players. Certainly no more than say NI who make a much better fist of things. 

Think only employing Scottish managers of late hasn't helped either. There's a lot of good quality managers out there and a bit of thinking outside the box and a foreign appointment may well be the way forward. 

When the likes of McLeish is a candidate for the job (regardless of the debatable issue he wasn't the best man for the job) you know you've not cast the net wide enough in your recruitment drive. 

Sad news coming out of Scotland today. Billy McNeill, legendary Celtic captain and the first Briton to lift the European Cup, has passed away after a long illness.

Given everything he achieved in the game, he remained a really humble, down-to-earth man. The word legend is often overused these days, but 'Cesar' was a genuine legend.

A sad day for Celtic and football in general. 

RIP Cesar

Edited by oldjamfan1
  • Like 4