BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Fútbol, Le Foot, Voetbal, ποδόσφαιρο

On 07/07/2019 at 18:11, Stuart said:

After hearing a lot of talk in the press (main news rather than sports section) about it all, I’ve flicked over to catch some of the Women’s World Cup Final.

For this level, the standard is utterly embarrassing. It’s like walking football at times and the passing and control is something you’d see in grassroots. I keep hearing this term: equal pay? Equal to what, a League Two apprentice? Because if they want the same as their male counterparts (internationals), without any increase in the commercial revenue (gates, sponsorship, transfers) then there’s an argument than all men playing professional football should be paid the same too - that’s how daft an argument it is.

If this is is the pinnacle of the women’s game then it still has a long way to go.

I saw a few games and I enjoyed the lack of diving, arguing and general cheating (apart from Cameroon) which now makes the mens game almost unbearable to watch. 

As you say though that standard is very poor and slow. I have played amateur saturday league for the past 12 seasons and I'm pretty sure I'd get in some of the women's teams. It will never match the mens game due natural physical limitations as there is with tennis etc. Good to see the womens game get more tv time though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

Ex Rovers assistant manager John Jensen has been appointed Arsenals Scandinavian chief scout.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/john-jensen-confirms-arsenal-return-17997351

Wrong place, wrong time for him here. The Kean rub would have meant if we appointed Zidane assistant manager and it would have been tainted. 

First game of the season for me tonight, a friendly, Witton Albion 0 Crewe 3. The first half was very even with little between the two teams. Crewe seemed to move up a gear in the second half and the gulf in the respective leagues showed as the Albion noticeably tired, especially in the last twenty minutes. 

Witton are tier seven, Northern Premier League, Premier. Same as Bamber Bridge and FC United of Manchester. Crewe is 15 miles south of Northwich, a few of their fans attended but not too many in a crowd of just over 300.

4 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Northwich, around the size of Clitheroe and it has 3 semi-pro clubs! Must be unique that?

There are actually four Matty! Witton Albion, Northwich Victoria, 1874 Northwich and Barnton. Technically Barnton is a separate village but it’s tagged on to the Winnington area of Northwich where I live. 

Northwich Vics were a top non league set up in the 60s and 70s and, like Witton, had a ground more or less in the town centre. Sold to developers, both clubs relocated to the edge of town and Vics’ new ground was very impressive. Unfortunately, they fell on hard times for a number of reasons and had to sell this new ground to pay off debts. 1874 Northwich were formed from the ashes as certain supporters refused to follow Vics because of the actions of the former owners. Vics play at Witton Albion’s ground whilst 1874 were playing at Winsford’s ground last time I checked.

The population of Northwich was around 20k a few years ago but is growing fast. It’s probably 23k or 24k now. There are also several large villages within two or three miles, which create a sort of ‘Greater Northwich’ taking the population to around 40k or more. So a bit bigger than Clitheroe.

• Like 2

This is stunning. Two of the villages i have lived in in Malta made it into the Europa League. 

Balzan Youths went out 3-4 and 0-1 but Gzira United knocked out Hadjuk Split last night!

https://timesofmalta.com/articles/view/watch-gzira-knock-out-hajduk-split-with-a-magical-volley-and-last.722890

Check that bicycle kick.

They lost the home leg 0-2, were 1-0 down at HT in Croatia but won 3-1.

Valletta also through in the Champions League after knocking out Dudelange of Luxembourg.

• Like 3

Just now, philipl said:

This is stunning. Two of the villages i have lived in in Malta made it into the Europa League. 

Balzan Youths went out 3-4 and 0-1 but Gzira United knocked out Hadjuk Split last night!

https://timesofmalta.com/articles/view/watch-gzira-knock-out-hajduk-split-with-a-magical-volley-and-last.722890

Check that bicycle kick.

They lost the home leg 0-2, were 1-0 down at HT in Croatia but won 3-1.

Valletta also through in the Champions League after knocking out Dudelange of Luxembourg.

What a goal that is.

The Gareth Bale saga seems to have no end in site. Real Madrid and Zidane want him to leave, Bale refuses to leak and wont take a pay cut on wages of £600,000 a week! ?

Kind of think it sums up modern football that Bale would rather not play and take the money than play regularly somewhere else whilst still earning millions a year. 

Gareth Bale's current situation is ongoing; https://www.espn.co.uk/football/soccer-transfers/story/3904830/zidane-blames-suspect-spanish-in-bale-saga

It is probably a straight contract dispute but has been blown up into a saga.

It reads to me that Real want rid to finance a deal for either Pogba or Neymar yet Bale and his team are holding out to receive the full value of his contract before he leaves.

I have no issues with Bale wanting his money. Real is playing it like most clubs do pitting the player as the villain to get the fans onside.

Bale and Real have always had a strange relationship. He has helped win them trophies but has never been embraced. If the stories of him not learning Spanish are true that's a shame.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Strange character by all accounts. Supposedly not learnt a word of Spanish in 6 years.

As a contrast, Aaron Ramsey turned up for his unveiling at Juventus last week and conducted the press conference in (basic admittedly) Italian.

Did he rehearse this then?

• Like 2

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Maybe he doesn’t like them. He’s pretty much been treated like crap - particularly by Zidane who seems to simply not like him and preferred other players.

• Like 1