BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Fútbol, Le Foot, Voetbal, ποδόσφαιρο

Beckham didn't learn much Spanish either when he was in Madrid. Woodgate became fluent, yet he was always injured and spent all day watching Spanish TV.

How many British exports did learn the language of the country they were playing in? Lineker. Michael Robinson. Bobby Robson didn't, he had Mourinho.

I'm sure that this is one reason why British players never leave (yes, money is probably the overriding factor), although it would help their national teams if they did.

I've played football overseas. It's really easy to pick up the local football lingo and communicate on the pitch. Off it is much harder. I do wish that I knew a second language. I was pretty good at French and German at school but they aren't needed living in the USA.

Considering the obsession with weather in this country surprised more players don't move abroad. Or perhaps it's just that English players aren't as good overall as some people think but snobbery won't accept it. 

Personally I don't like very hot weather and would only move to the USA. Vegas would be the one exception but New York would be my preference. MLS should keep getting bigger but similar rules to other US sports (which are nowhere near as global) still holds it back. They should be taking advantage of FUP.

Another example of how football is broken.

It shows that these new markets for the sport just don't get it. Football is a team sport, and you support the team not just one player. They should be made to hand back their Juventus shirts and never watch another non Korean game again. Still, being contracted to appear at a friendly (which is weird) and the manager not doing it is a breach of contract.

1 minute ago, Vinjay17 said:

Christian Eriksen's penalty for Tottenham just now...awful!

My immediate thought was that he meant to fail but then again he had scored well in normal time. It was just about as bad a kick as any footballer could make.

Edited by AllRoverAsia

Not to mention he had a decent effort near the end of extra time. Bizarre really for someone of his reputation but even Pele missed an open goal once. Look at what he does to this goalkeeper though so he still manages to look great and miss an open goal at the same time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UzRsvCsC4c

Edited by Vinjay17
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Vinjay17 said:

Not to mention he had a decent effort near the end of extra time. Bizarre really for someone of his reputation but even Pele missed an open goal once. Look at what he does to this goalkeeper though so he still manages to look great and miss an open goal at the same time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UzRsvCsC4c

I watched that live in colour on TV, Dad upgraded from B&W to colour TV just before the WC 1970. Maybe the best Brazil team I've seen in my time.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DeeCee said:

We got one for the 1969 FA cup final, (City vs Leicester) had half the street in, chairs borrowed etc remember it was over £300 then, crazy!

I remember that game well, and for those watching in B&W Leicester City are laying from Left to Right, or whatever it was.

I came from quite a small village and we got one of the first B&W Tvs. The Post Office mistress had one and the packed Social Club another but no TV in the Local or so I was told. The arrival of Colour TV in our house in1970 was a watershed moment as was the arrival of a 16-year-old Lass from Glasgow on holiday in the Village!! Roma was her name ^_^

• Like 1

On 01/08/2019 at 15:05, philipl said:

'And for those of you who are watching in black and white, the pink is next to the green.' 

Whispering Ted Lowe's finest snooker commentary...

I was actually watching that snooker game on a B/W TV and it made perfect sense to me.

Was it on the show called"Pot Black"?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, blondie said:

The bowler's Holding, the batsmen's Willey

Brilliant! And in a similar vein, the late Brian Johnston was commentating on TMS for an Ashes test in (I think) the 80s when Steve Waugh, fielding at short leg, took one in the nether regions. After lengthy treatment he said “And Waugh is off to long leg to lick his wounds” which was greeted by about a minute’s laughter (and zero commentary) from the TMS booth.

• Like 2

AFC Wimbledon were fined in the past for not referring to MK in the programme by the ever empathetic EFL. Also for calling them "MK" on the scoreboard minus dons. 

Well last night they just didn't print a programme (no longer compulsory anyway) and said the scoreboard was broke.

• Like 3