BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Fútbol, Le Foot, Voetbal, ποδόσφαιρο

32 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

What has happened to Italian football? Ashley Young to Inter Milan

Football Italia on Channel 4 was a staple of my youth. They used to have the best players around. Now what? Scraping around for Man U has beens.

They used to breed defenders there, proper ones. Nowadays they are just as bad as us (England)

35 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

What has happened to Italian football? Ashley Young to Inter Milan

Football Italia on Channel 4 was a staple of my youth. They used to have the best players around. Now what? Scraping around for Man U has beens.

Gooooooooooollllllll lazzzooooooo!

Or something.

I did laugh about that Ashley Young thing. Top league.

Ibrahimovic should be AC's top scorer in no time.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, rog of the rovers said:

Barcelona sack their manager when top of La Liga....

The most self righteous team in World Football strikes again. 

If Tony's Boro dream hadn't died with Woodgate's resurgence. He could have been coming to Ewood.

1 hour ago, oldjamfan1 said:

They've already appointed someone have they not, the ex Real Betis guy?

Yes, Setien. He's not won much over his career, not that it matters. I'd finish at least second in La Liga if I managed Barcelona such is the talent available. However, Messi doesn't have long left. Suarez either, and he's currently out injured.

Pochettino reckons that he'll never take the Barcelona job on account of him playing for and managing neighbours Espanyol. Cynical me wonders if that is true, as it's alleged that he'd lose his multi million £ pay out from Spurs if he took another job within 12 months. My money is him going to Man U when they finally wake up and realise what all of us already know; Solskjaer isn't up to it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Could someone who follows Spanish football please shed some light on why Barca appointed Setién? 

From what I read, they approached Xavi, Xavi said yes and changed his mind because he wanted to work with the other barca presidential candidate. So in all likelihood the current chap is a place holder until the next presidential elections. If the other chap gets in Xavi comes as manager. If the same bloke remains president then who knows what will happen (Xavi may still come, they look for an alternative guy). But the threat is that the current guy could be gone after the next elections so they needed some random chap to fill in. 

Let's be honest though anyone could fill in at Barca. 

12 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

From what I read, they approached Xavi, Xavi said yes and changed his mind because he wanted to work with the other barca presidential candidate. So in all likelihood the current chap is a place holder until the next presidential elections. If the other chap gets in Xavi comes as manager. If the same bloke remains president then who knows what will happen (Xavi may still come, they look for an alternative guy). But the threat is that the current guy could be gone after the next elections so they needed some random chap to fill in. 

Let's be honest though anyone could fill in at Barca. 

Ya, but this guy has never won anything and even his win % are nothing to write home about. Does he try and play nice football or something? From his Wiki it's like Man city giving Mowbray the job. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ya, but this guy has never won anything and even his win % are nothing to write home about. Does he try and play nice football or something? From his Wiki it's like Man city giving Mowbray the job. 

Yep - his Betis team very much adopted the Barcelona way of playing which is why many of their fans were keen to see him get the job.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Just now, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Yep - his Betis team very much adopted the Barcelona way of playing which is why many of their fans were keen to see him get the job.

Also bare in mind who would take the job knowing that in 6 months there is likely a presidential change with the president bringing in Xavi as manager. It really is a caretaker role in all but name. 

Still seems a stupid way to do things mind. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

Also bare in mind who would take the job knowing that in 6 months there is likely a presidential change with the president bringing in Xavi as manager. It really is a caretaker role in all but name. 

Still seems a stupid way to do things mind. 

Isn’t it 2021? So would be a year or so perhaps? I’d imagine he sees it as a bit of a free hit! Does a good job and any new president will likely have to keep him. 

Edit - they’re summer 2021. So Setien is likely to get 18 months minimum.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

3 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Isn’t it 2021? So would be a year or so perhaps? I’d imagine he sees it as a bit of a free hit! Does a good job and any new president will likely have to keep him. 

It might be a bit more than 6 months (the article might not have said but the impression I got was they were soon.) Either way I think the principle and issues remains the same. 

From my understanding of Spanish football very often presidents use promises to get elected. Such as I will sign this player or get this manager so I would suggest the new chap who is close to Xavi will be promising Xavi as manager. 

8 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

It might be a bit more than 6 months (the article might not have said but the impression I got was they were soon.) Either way I think the principle and issues remains the same. 

From my understanding of Spanish football very often presidents use promises to get elected. Such as I will sign this player or get this manager so I would suggest the new chap who is close to Xavi will be promising Xavi as manager. 

Very likely. I have read an interview with Bartomeu which states that any new president could dispense of Setien in the summer of 2021 (elections) despite him signing a 2.5 year deal. Intrigued to see what Setien can do with Barca!

2 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Very likely. I have read an interview with Bartomeu which states that any new president could dispense of Setien in the summer of 2021 (elections) despite him signing a 2.5 year deal. Intrigued to see what Setien can do with Barca!

Win/win for him. 6 months managing Barca, a chance to win his first silverware and a pay out if they sack him during the summer. Happy days. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

3 hours ago, JacknOry said:

Also, why did they sack their current manager when sitting top of the league?

To be fair he couldn’t have had any arguments if he’d have been sacked after the Liverpool fiasco last season - especially as exactly the same thing happened at Roma a year earlier. 

That’d have made much more sense than delaying the inevitable until now.

Edited by frosty
  • Like 1

Bit of a pisser for Sky and their favourite teams, they aren't half getting in a biased pickle!

When the West Sham player does a Thierry Henry in the build up to a goal that gets ruled out - That's a BAD DECISION and the goal should have stood.

Yet, today when QPR score against Leeds with a similar handball - and the goal stands - That's also a BAD DECISION and the goal should have been ruled out.

?‍♂️

18 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

The Peterborough chairman just tweeted that he has so much confidence in the team and manager that if they don't make the play-offs, he will step down as chairman. 

He is the biggest attention seeker in football that man. Very unprofessional on his twitter. Wouldnt mind them failing to make the play offs!

• Like 1