BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Fútbol, Le Foot, Voetbal, ποδόσφαιρο

Rooney is not as creative and Ronaldo lacks the "strength" to compete against tough defenders.

Rooney may have great strength and impeccable timing and C Ronaldo has tremendous foot speed and goal scoring abailty but Messi is the only complete footballer out of those three.

Just back from Grasshoppers 2 Neuchatel Xamax 1

I think there were 16 away fans - even Wimbledon in their Premier League pomp would have brought more!

It's been a balmy 22 degrees here in Zurich today, a bit cooler tonight, but a great night to watch football. Pizza and a couple of beers beforehand and another couple on the ground. A whopping crowd of 3,600 (there are reasons for that but I won't bore you with them) but the atmosphere and singing were superb, some of the chants in English.

Grasshoppers consolidating their third position in the top flight here. No chance of getting any higher than that as Young Boys (Bern) and Basel have got positions 1 and 2 sewn up.

We return home to Blighty for good tomorrow first thing (unfortunately). If Easyjet fly to Zurich wef June, as rumoured, I will be tempted to come over for the Zurich derby, Grasshoppers having won the last one.

Zurich, over and out. :brfc:

• Like 1

Rooney is not as creative and Ronaldo lacks the "strength" to compete against tough defenders.

Rooney may have great strength and impeccable timing and C Ronaldo has tremendous foot speed and goal scoring abailty but Messi is the only complete footballer out of those three.

Messi's four foot nothing. He's not strong at all, he's just quick and nimble on his feet. Rooney is very quick too, he's not just strong with 'impeccable timing' whatever that means.

Messi's four foot nothing. He's not strong at all, he's just quick and nimble on his feet. Rooney is very quick too, he's not just strong with 'impeccable timing' whatever that means.

Did you not see him shrugging off the larger player in that clip? Rooney is a force of nature, Ronaldo is almost untouchable. Messi however is simply a genius.

Could be without Rooney with an ankle injury too.

I was saying to my United supporting father the other day that Rooney was due an injury right before another major tournament. Ankle injury by the looks of it, can't see him playing against Chelsea at the weekend even if he's just twisted it.

Edited by RibbleValleyRover

Messi is very strong, you obviously don't watch him regulary at all. Once Rooney starts doing some of the things Messi does, game after game, year after year I will hold him in the same light

Rooney scores goals by being in the right place at the right time, watch his goals, he comes from no where right at the right moment, he has impeccable timing in the game. Pretty simple really.

• Like 1

I think you are being overly harsh on Rooney there and making him out to sound like some goal-poacher. He can score goals from pretty much anywhere, it's just down to the role that he is asked to play. At the moment he plays up front by himself with attacking wingers, which means he has to take up a very forward position. In previous seasons he has been able to drop back into midfield and pick up the ball and has scored some wonderful goals as a result of it.

They are both fantastic players and offer something different, but you can't definitively say who is better between Ronaldo, Rooney and Messi in my opinion. Each is a little bit more suited to different leagues, styles of team play and the role that they are then given within that team. I'd love to see Rooney play in Spain against defenses that back off a bit more and don't go into the tackle as hard, he'd thrive as all attack-minded players do. Say what you want (and we've had this debate before), but Messi wouldn't be QUITE so effective in England. He'd handle the physical game well and would be in the elite group of players in the league, but if you want to show off an attacking game it is always best to be on the continent.

• Like 2

I think you are being overly harsh on Rooney there and making him out to sound like some goal-poacher. He can score goals from pretty much anywhere, it's just down to the role that he is asked to play. At the moment he plays up front by himself with attacking wingers, which means he has to take up a very forward position. In previous seasons he has been able to drop back into midfield and pick up the ball and has scored some wonderful goals as a result of it.

They are both fantastic players and offer something different, but you can't definitively say who is better between Ronaldo, Rooney and Messi in my opinion. Each is a little bit more suited to different leagues, styles of team play and the role that they are then given within that team. I'd love to see Rooney play in Spain against defenses that back off a bit more and don't go into the tackle as hard, he'd thrive as all attack-minded players do. Say what you want (and we've had this debate before), but Messi wouldn't be QUITE so effective in England. He'd handle the physical game well and would be in the elite group of players in the league, but if you want to show off an attacking game it is always best to be on the continent.

BBBUUUUTTTTT......

It can't be argued he has had his best season this season playing in exactly that role, until this season theere was no debate over who was better so I don't think I am being harsh.

Yes we have had the arguement before, like Tevez, if he can handle the physical nature of the PL he will handle the defences.

Steve McClaren's Twente Enschede are 4 points clear at the top of the Dutch league with 4 games left. They do, however, have Ajax breathing down their necks and face tough games against the likes of reigning champions AZ Alkmaar and Feyernoord.

Could well be a very interesting end to the season.

Last English manager to win a Dutch title? Sir Bobby Robson. Another manager derided by the press when managing England and failed to get us qualified for a European Championships.

Edited by FourLaneBlue

• 2 weeks later...

Since my last post, Grasshoppers have won five out of six games to very much consolidate their third position in the Swiss top flight. Despite a 3-2 reverse to city rivals FC Zurich, Grasshoppers have churned out the results and have just beaten the then top of the league Young Boys 2-1 followed by a good 1-0 win away at St Gallen. Just wish I was still over in Zurich to watch them.

I really hope he does it. Good luck to him. It will be interesting to see whether he stays in Holland if a good job opportunity arises in England. I'm sure there will be plenty of clubs wishing to talk to him considering how well he's done since leaving the England job.

I bet the house on Marseille winning the league and still think they are the best side in French football. I think they'll do it.

So where you gonna live if they don't???

I can see brolly boy coming back maybe to Villa if O'neill wlks away this summer, people are saying West Ham but I'd rather stay at Twente than go there.