BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Fútbol, Le Foot, Voetbal, ποδόσφαιρο

• 1 month later...
22 hours ago, Roverthechimp said:

And it begins… (game to be replayed in part due to VAR)

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/68116985

Replay because of ‘misapplication of rules’ has precedent in England in non-league case, at least. However, if misapplication is applied to video refs, it opens up much more.

The ref apparently didn’t see Ivan Toney move the ball and the foam for his free kick goal against Forest. It could be argued that video refs did see and their inaction was a misapplication of the rules in a goal situation.

I saw a clip online of Dermot O’Leary answering questions on the Toney goal and he denied VAR can get involved but the seemingly deceitful way he avoided answering questions makes me doubt him.

Legally, refs were the final arbiters and given leeway for human error. That seems to be ending and as well as more legal challenges to results, I fear we will have ever growing stoppages in games as VAR is involved in every key decision and officials spend more time clarifying advice.

Edit: The difference between human error and ‘misapplication of rules’ seems to be a judgment on how blatant and unreasonable the error is. I think intention is factored in too. With video refs, clubs are arguing (as Club Brugge have done recently in their own appeal) that any human error is misapplication of rules.

Club Brugge’s appeal got rejected but I think they have also appealed to a court of arbitration, so this may go further.

Edited by riverholmes
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, riverholmes said:

Replay because of ‘misapplication of rules’ has precedent in England in non-league case, at least. However, if misapplication is applied to video refs, it opens up much more.

The ref apparently didn’t see Ivan Toney move the ball and the foam for his free kick goal against Forest. It could be argued that video refs did see and their inaction was a misapplication of the rules in a goal situation.

I saw a clip online of Dermot O’Leary answering questions on the Toney goal and he denied VAR can get involved but the seemingly deceitful way he avoided answering questions makes me doubt him.

Legally, refs were the final arbiters and given leeway for human error. That seems to be ending and as well as more legal challenges to results, I fear we will have ever growing stoppages in games as VAR is involved in every key decision and officials spend more time clarifying advice.

Sadly we are hurtling towards F1 levels of the result only being a preliminary classification 🤬

Clubs will employ video analysts to scour through games to find breaches and appeal for the game to be replayed as something did not comply with the letter of the law (not necessarily the intention of said law)

3 hours ago, riverholmes said:

Edit: The difference between human error and ‘misapplication of rules’ seems to be a judgment on how blatant and unreasonable the error is. With video refs, clubs are arguing (as Club Brugge have done recently in their own appeal) that any human error is misapplication of rules.

Club Brugge’s appeal got rejected but I think they have also appealed to a court of arbitration, so this may go further.

That incident certainly seemed like a clear and obvious error and it absolutely led to a goal so…IMG_1500.thumb.jpeg.1c846af9a942a648ceb6077cae5e6af7.jpeg

Edited by wilsdenrover

• 2 weeks later...

VAR awards a very dodgy pen to Iran to bring the semi to 2-2.

An atrocious decision.

Iran must pay well.

Qatar finally won 3-2 but not until after the invented 13 minutes added time plus another 3 minutes added, reasons only known to Iran and the bent Ref.

TBF Iran bossed the second half but spurned good chances and had atrocious luck in those late 3 mins added.

But I'm delighted to see the back of Iran to set up a Jordan v Qatar final.

Edited by AllRoverAsia