BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Fútbol, Le Foot, Voetbal, ποδόσφαιρο

Suarez could only be offside if he was closer to the goal line than the ball i.e. ahead of the ball. He has to be behind the ball at the taking of a penalty and 9.15 metres away (as have all the players). This makes it impossible to be offside.

Thanks for clearing that up. I didn't think you could pass from a penalty in the first place. They should implement this on FIFA!

• Backroom

How on earth could it have been offside? The fact he is behind the ball negates anything else. If it had been offside then anytime someone hits the post on a penalty or had it saved then any attacker would be offside on the rebound.

I would also say it's more difficult to pull off than a normal penalty in which the odds are way more than 50/50 in the attackers favour.

I can't think of any genuine reason why it shouldn't be allowed, it's maybe Unsporting the same way as doing kick ups at 5-0 is but I saw it as a tribute to Cruyff

Edited by Tom M

Yes they did, I was there - and it was against an old teammate of theirs, Fred Else who was playing for Barrow that day.

Here's an "exclusive" from the Express with quotes from Bryan Douglas.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/644359/Exclusive-Blackburn-legend-Bryan-Douglas-Messi-Suarez-penalty-i-1960s

Edited by VinjayV4
  • Like 1

Seen a few images where Suarez is well inside the D when messi touches the ball. So one way or the other, shouldn't have stood!

And, I always thought you had to be behind the ball AND behind the last defender to be onside? Unless it's a pass released when opponents are stood in your half? Is it enough if you just stay behind the ball?? And not behind the last defender??

Seen a few images where Suarez is well inside the D when messi touches the ball. So one way or the other, shouldn't have stood!

And, I always thought you had to be behind the ball AND behind the last defender to be onside? Unless it's a pass released when opponents are stood in your half? Is it enough if you just stay behind the ball?? And not behind the last defender??

You have to be nearer to the goal line than the ball to be offside. The number of opponents and where they are is immaterial. That is why you can't be offside from a corner because the ball cannot go forward.

The vast majority of penalties have, one way or another players who don't respect being the required distance away from the ball. When was the last time you saw a retake for this?

Edited by arbitro
  • Like 1

You have to be nearer to the goal line than the ball to be offside. The number of opponents and where they are is immaterial. That is why you can't be offside from a corner because the ball cannot go forward.

The vast majority of penalties have, one way or another players who don't respect being the required distance away from the ball. When was the last time you saw a retake for this?

Yes Arbitro, if you're behind the ball you're onside - no matter where anyone else is. We've had this discussion before and it's a bit surprising how many people don't realise it.

• Like 2

Never mind the passed penalty, what about that piece of skill from Neymar Jnr when he flicked the ball between his heels and up and over his back, head, and the opponent, on the run and perfectly into his own path. Just being able to do that standing still is beyond the abilities of most professionals.

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead

Speaking of Neymar, saw a graphic the other day of Neymar vs Ronaldo and Messi at the same age, and he's scored more, assisted more and won more medals than them at that time. So, in theory he could easily go on to be one of the best players ever. Sure we all saw in the last World Cup how much he carried Brazil.

EDIT- here's the link-http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/neymars-stats-at-23-suggest-barcelona-star-will-be-the-best-player-in-the-world/

Edited by K-Hod
  • Like 1

Exactly a year ago I had the pleasure of being in the Camp Nou when Barcelona played Levante and won 5-0, with Messi (3), Neymar Jnr and Suarez (with a spectacular overhead kick) all scoring. I can honestly say that, even as a 50 odd year old, it was one of the best football experiences of my life (along with holding aloft the European Cup in my Rovers shirt - see profile pic on the left!).

• Moderation Lead

I was talking to my Dad about Suarez at the weekend, just saying I don't recall a player being as hard working as Suarez having so much talent as well. If you consider a player like Paul Dickov being such a grafter to make up for a lack of ability, there's no such thing with Suarez, he just never stops! Neymar though, like I said, if he carries on like he is he'll be some player! (Not that he's not already of course!)

Edited by K-Hod
  • Like 1

I was talking to my Dad about Suarez at the weekend, just saying I don't recall a player being as hard working as Suarez having so much talent as well. If you consider a player like Paul Dickov being such a grafter to make up for a lack of ability, there's no such thing with Suarez, he just never stops! Neymar though, like I said, if he carries on like he is he'll be some player! (Not that he's not already of course!)

Suarez is the perfect centre forward. Whenever I've seen him play 'live' it always surprises me how tall he is. Brilliant in the air and with either foot - he scores goals of all types and has a Dalglish-like awareness of the game around him so brings team mates into play as well. Wonderful player. Just a shame one or two silly incidents have sullied his reputation.

Never mind the passed penalty, what about that piece of skill from Neymar Jnr when he flicked the ball between his heels and up and over his back, head, and the opponent, on the run and perfectly into his own path. Just being able to do that standing still is beyond the abilities of most professionals.

I seem to remember, one of the Rovers having a trick like that. Winger late 70's or 80's.May have been Kevin Hird.

Edited by rigger

• Backroom

Just seen this

Has to be one of the worst decisions of all time, defies logic the whistle goes after the shot is taken

• Like 1