Sign in to follow this  
Tim Southampton Rover

Fútbol, Le Foot, Voetbal, ποδόσφαιρο

Messi and Maradona (and Sellars) are the finest footballers I've ever seen. Messi could play anywhere. He'd scored 50 goals before Christmas in England. 

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

Messi and Maradona (and Sellars) are the finest footballers I've ever seen. Messi could play anywhere. He'd scored 50 goals before Christmas in England. 

Could he do it on a cold Tuesday night against Stoke though?

Just now, Stuart said:

Remind me, which teams were they for then?

You can’t ignore the fact that he is playing for a team of stars in a tin pot league, let’s be honest. La Liga is just a warmer version of the SPL.

During Messi’s time there, Barca have still won consistently even when he hasn’t been in the squad. They are so far superior to everyone but Ronaldo’s Madrid it’s untrue.

Barca also have the benefit that the bigger PL clubs have domestically, in that referees deliberately or inadvertently favour them.

Messi is a superbly gifted and lightning quick footballer, just naturally brilliant, but he isn’t proven to be the greatest ever player simply because he hasn’t played (let alone achieved) anywhere else other than Barcelona - one of the best teams from 1 to 11, a good fit for him to play in. Slap bang in the middle of his comfort zone. Very happy and very rich. I don’t blame him but he hasn’t tested himself anywhere else or had to adapt to different styles of football - possibly because he is afraid to. He’s on a great number there and knows it.

When I think of Messi, I imagine a South American version of Ally McCoist if he had only ever played for Rangers. Or maybe Jimmy McGrory of Celtic would be a better comparison as a one-club-man record maker. Wonder why nobody has ever mentioned him as the GOAT?

Sorry Stuart that's possibly the worst reason I've ever heard for him not being the greatest.

Ronaldo went there and was consistently outscored by Messi and won 3 league titles in 9 years. If it was a straight shootout of goals, theres an argument to be had and i'd happily partake in it. You add his passing and dribbling to the equation and its a none starter, the most complete player there's ever been.

PS, for my money, if the 20 La Liga teams played the 20 English teams, they'd win more than 10, i'd probably say around 13/14 of them. Your rhetoric of La Liga being easy is most common in people who are both uneducated in it and/or have never put the effort in to watch a season of it. The technical skill of the average players in that league are double if not treble the average premier league player. The bottom 12 of the Prem are appalling football teams who struggle to a) get a point a game, and b) score a goal a game while the top 6 sweep all before them aside. Hell fire, even Wolves are nobbing teams in it. 

I'm sure this doesnt apply to you though and you watch a lot of La Liga?

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

Messi is like the best teenager in his Y11 side playing against the local Primary School kids.

He should have tested himself at a higher level by now. Can’t do it internationally because he needs to have quality around him and he hasn’t (and almost certainly won’t) move to another country/league now. He will suffer the same comparisons that Pele did with Maradona: one-club-man at the best club in the country.

You're not the type who comes on here to post provocative comments that wind people up so I have to take it that you are serious with this comment. 

Messi is a genius, pure and simple. One of the most gifted footballers ever. He's made everyone he's played against look silly. 

If you don't want my opinion search what any player, former player, manager, or pundit has to say about him. Or YouTube some of his highlights. There are plenty so I'll not post any on here.

Edited by speeeeeeedie
spelling

That third goal is just unreal. Amazing.

@Gavlar Somerset Rover! which Barca game are you going to? Might have to do that myself in the next year or two.

Also amazed at some stuff I'm reading about the league from which a variety of teams have dominated Europe for the last decade.

Edited by frosty

Genius that McCoist though, 800 career goals was it in the hardest league in the world in Scotland?

1 hour ago, frosty said:

Also amazed at some stuff I'm reading about the league from which a variety of teams have dominated Europe for the last decade.

I would think that's because most of the teams in it are perceived to be crap and games uncompetitive. Hence why a player that wasn't deemed good enough for a drab 2nd division Rovers team managed to get a gig in the lower half of La Liga.

ROCHINNNNNAAAAAAA!

One club. Consistently playing alongside some of the best players in world football.

If he had some success in just one other top flight league he would be a shoe-in.

7 hours ago, frosty said:

That third goal is just unreal. Amazing.

@Gavlar Somerset Rover! which Barca game are you going to? Might have to do that myself in the next year or two.

I went last weekend against Vallecano. Insane experience and fantastic to witness the genius in the flesh. Only shame was you could sense that they all had Lyon on their minds so took their foot off the gas once they’d scored the 3rd. If they’d wanted to they could have spanked them. I returned unscathed from Las Ramblas - so a successful trip all round!

5 hours ago, Husky said:

I would think that's because most of the teams in it are perceived to be crap and games uncompetitive. Hence why a player that wasn't deemed good enough for a drab 2nd division Rovers team managed to get a gig in the lower half of La Liga.

ROCHINNNNNAAAAAAA!

Anyone who thinks that would be mad. Probably the same people who say that PSG and Bayern can't win the CL because their league is uncompetitive in terms of a title race. It can't work both ways.....

Re. Ruben, I don't think Michael Appleton and Gary Bowyer not knowing what to do with a player with very good technical ability a bit rough round the edges means one league is stronger than the other. 

You could say that King wasn't good enough for us in the Championship yet he banged in 16 in the PL the other year and probably isn't far off this season. But there are loads of factors that come into play with things like that - such as a quality manager in Hughes (as he was then at least) being able to get the best out of Samba from Hertha Berlin reserves.

53 minutes ago, Stuart said:

One club. Consistently playing alongside some of the best players in world football.

If he had some success in just one other top flight league he would be a shoe-in.

All world class players play for teams good enough to have other world class players. It would be bizarre if that wasn't the case.

So if he moves to Juventus in summer, a team with other world class players who've just won their eighth title in a row and scores say 25+, you'd think more highly of him?

He's got zero to prove. 

My missus is both a lip reader and a Spanish speaker. When Messi notched that hat trick goal last night she swears he said “Estas viendo Stuart?”

Messi has nothing to prove by only having played in Spain. He'd immediately be the best current and also the best ever player in the PL if he ever played here.

S.O.S. Charlie!

It's disgraceful how this isn't live on Terrestrial TV. The English are being deprived of an amazing show!

🤣

Three.jpg

Edited by Husky

Kazakhstan 3 Scotland 0

Jim Baxter will be rolling in his grave

But I bet this chap is delighted

article-0-05A8ED680000044D-622_634x428.jpg

Edited by jim mk2

Scotland getting beat 3-0 off Kazakhstan is still funny today! 

3 hours ago, K-Hod said:

Scotland getting beat 3-0 off Kazakhstan is still funny today! 

I was watching it live, had a little early finish and pints. My god Scotland were bad. All over he place in defense, kept trying to play offside, badly. 

I wonder what the supporters make of Robertson pulling out of the squad for "dental work". I think that excuse is up there with the dog ate my homework. 

As much as I despise Scott Brown he absolutely did a number on the Rangers players, yet again! Morales would never kick another ball for me and I can't see Gerrard persevering with him beyond this summer.

2 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

As much as I despise Scott Brown he absolutely did a number on the Rangers players, yet again! Morales would never kick another ball for me and I can't see Gerrard persevering with him beyond this summer.

Hook, line and sinker Andy. Not only did he wind Morelos up but Kent (who will be banned tomorrow) and Halliday too. Brown will be directly involved in three Rangers players being suspended - that takes some doing. Even when Morelos was walking off Brown was still antagonising him by laughing pretty much in his face.

Morelos reminds me so much of El Hadj Diouf with his mannerisms and suspect temperament.