Sign in to follow this  
Tim Southampton Rover

Fútbol, Le Foot, Voetbal, ποδόσφαιρο

On 22/03/2019 at 10:12, K-Hod said:

Scotland getting beat 3-0 off Kazakhstan is still funny today! 

One of my colleagues tipped me off that McLeish would be gone by the end of today so I had a look to see if I could put a sneaky few quid on it. The book was closed and sure enough he has gone, and rightly so!

38 minutes ago, old darwen blue said:

Who is next for the poisoned chalice?

Steve Clarke if Lennon gets the Celtic job is what I hear

The Scotland job is a poisoned chalice indeed.

Problem is, Scottish clubs buy dirt cheap players from abroad, not bothering to make an effort with developing their own youngsters both through academies and at mens level.

It's killed the national side. The pool of talent to choose from is staggeringly shallow, with only 2 or 3 players being worthy Internationals.

So whatever the approach it's tough to see any major short-medium term improvements. That said agree Steve Clarke would be a shout, done a cracking job with Kilmarnock and would be less of a stale approach than previous regimes. 

55 minutes ago, Don Said said:

The Scotland job is a poisoned chalice indeed.

Problem is, Scottish clubs buy dirt cheap players from abroad, not bothering to make an effort with developing their own youngsters both through academies and at mens level.

It's killed the national side. The pool of talent to choose from is staggeringly shallow, with only 2 or 3 players being worthy Internationals.

So whatever the approach it's tough to see any major short-medium term improvements. That said agree Steve Clarke would be a shout, done a cracking job with Kilmarnock and would be less of a stale approach than previous regimes. 

And yet Tom Cairney has only been called up twice. Jamie Murphy, same, despite 76 games for Brighton. Kevin McDonald, nearly 100 games for Fulham, 5 caps. Marmite Rhodes, 14 games (3 goals) in 8 years. Ross McCormack, 13 games (2 goals) in 11 years. Liam Cooper, Over 140 games for Leeds, no full caps.

There are bigger issue in Scotland and you have to wonder what the selection criteria is.

7 minutes ago, Stuart said:

And yet Tom Cairney has only been called up twice. Jamie Murphy, same, despite 76 games for Brighton. Kevin McDonald, nearly 100 games for Fulham, 5 caps. Marmite Rhodes, 14 games (3 goals) in 8 years. Ross McCormack, 13 games (2 goals) in 11 years. Liam Cooper, Over 140 games for Leeds, no full caps.

There are bigger issue in Scotland and you have to wonder what the selection criteria is.

It was a Strachan trait, but does seem to fit all around that they don't pick English born Scots if remotely avoidable. They do have 3 or 4 (Ritchie, Phillips, McTominay) but it should really be more considering players available against some of the dross they've got in the current squad.

I don't think they've ever had an English manager either. Nothing wrong with that but if they're fishing in the pool for Strachan's, Mackay's, Big Eck's and so on surely they'd get a better catch if they looked a few miles South.

5 hours ago, Don Said said:

I don't think they've ever had an English manager either. Nothing wrong with that but if they're fishing in the pool for Strachan's, Mackay's, Big Eck's and so on surely they'd get a better catch if they looked a few miles South.

I think Stuart nailed it earlier when he suggested Big Sam

Next Scotland manager needs to be Jack Ross and for five years. Almost the current managers have wasted the talent of Forrest, cairney etc.

But we’ve Tierney and Mccrorie coming through now.

But Scotland have some great talent in the ranks look at the lad mctominay at Utd. Takes a vision a plan and a way of ingrained long term thinking to systematically overhaul a system dismantled since Simith and Levein in my opinion.

Pretty sure Steve Clark bar his outbursts and being manager of the year in the SPL this season either has family or business interest near Kilmarnock hence he took the job. 

Edited by Scotland1

6 hours ago, Stuart said:

That's interesting. A lot of quality in there, (and McCormack) so they're not bereft on decent players. Certainly no more than say NI who make a much better fist of things. 

Think only employing Scottish managers of late hasn't helped either. There's a lot of good quality managers out there and a bit of thinking outside the box and a foreign appointment may well be the way forward. 

When the likes of McLeish is a candidate for the job (regardless of the debatable issue he wasn't the best man for the job) you know you've not cast the net wide enough in your recruitment drive. 

Sad news coming out of Scotland today. Billy McNeill, legendary Celtic captain and the first Briton to lift the European Cup, has passed away after a long illness.

Given everything he achieved in the game, he remained a really humble, down-to-earth man. The word legend is often overused these days, but 'Cesar' was a genuine legend.

A sad day for Celtic and football in general. 

RIP Cesar

Edited by oldjamfan1

On 23/04/2019 at 10:13, oldjamfan1 said:

Sad news coming out of Scotland today. Billy McNeill, legendary Celtic captain and the first Briton to lift the European Cup, has passed away after a long illness.

Given everything he achieved in the game, he remained a really humble, down-to-earth man. The word legend is often overused these days, but 'Cesar' was a genuine legend.

RIP Cesar

the amazing thing about that European cup winning side is they all came from about 20 miles of Glasgow.

18 minutes ago, jodrell said:

the amazing thing about that European cup winning side is they all came from about 20 miles of Glasgow.

They were all born within 10 miles of Celtic Park apart from one - who was from Saltcoats (about 30 miles away)

On 23/04/2019 at 10:13, oldjamfan1 said:

RIP Cesar

Sad indeed Andy. During the 1980s I watched Celtic many, many times (only once did I miss a Rovers game when I managed to get tickets for an Old Firm game!) and plenty when Billy was manager. RIP Billy.

9E6A1DC7-0D76-4DE3-A8EA-7BE4DC246572.jpeg

Here’s a name to keep an eye out for in the future... Adil Aouchiche. No good for Mowbray fans as he’s only 16 but he’s just scored a hat trick for France in the U17 Euros, 8 goals in his last four games including one against England.

He’s at PSG so won’t be under the radar but he looks a real player. A midfielder too apparently!

Edit: make that 4 - just scored a pen. 10 goals in last 6 matches.

Edited by Stuart

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48302526

The 13-man board said it "retained the strong opinion that the presented proposal for reforming the European club competitions benefits just a few rich and dominant clubs but damages the leagues and the great majority of clubs playing in the domestic competitions.

You don't say. Almost like it's been purposefully designed that way :rolleyes: bit late to be worrying about that, anyway, it's already happened.

1 hour ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I knew what this would be before I clicked the link.

You have to wonder if these statues go through any form of quality control before being presented to the world. Or even a gentle tap on the shoulder, and a nod to a picture maybe. They actually do a disservice to those they are purporting to idolise.

3 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

That would not have come cheap. It is truly atrocious.

Does anyone know who the Sculptor was? He should be ashamed.

The statue was created by Belfast artist Tony Currie

Don't think he used to play for Sheff Utd but you never know,