Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Tim Southampton Rover

Fútbol, Le Foot, Voetbal, ποδόσφαιρο

Recommended Posts

17 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

Fernando Torres announced his retirement today. It's strange to say this about someone who won everything but injuries robbed him of quite a few good years.

I would have signed him instead of Ronaldo in 2008. I thought he was that good.

He scored a belter for Liverpool against Rovers at Anfield. Both centre halves and the keeper had no idea where the ball was until it was in the back of the net.

Was unplayable on his day at Liverpool - Chelsea though, completely different story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Uruguay beat Chile 1-0 in the Copa America last night.

Suarez pulled a couple of Suarez like stunts during the game.

He tried to round the keeper and cross it. The keeper blocked the ball with his arm, and went out for a corner. Suarez appealed for handball.

A protester ran onto the pitch. A Chile defender ran after him and tripped him up. Suarez appealed for a foul.

If I can find a video I'll post it.

Edited by speeeeeeedie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/06/2019 at 14:52, speeeeeeedie said:

Uruguay beat Chile 1-0 in the Copa America last night.

Suarez pulled a couple of Suarez like stunts during the game.

He tried to round the keeper and cross it. The keeper blocked the ball with his arm, and went out for a corner. Suarez appealed for handball.

A protester ran onto the pitch. A Chile defender ran after him and tripped him up. Suarez appealed for a foul.

If I can find a video I'll post it.

Hillarious. He lost his mind 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After hearing a lot of talk in the press (main news rather than sports section) about it all, I’ve flicked over to catch some of the Women’s World Cup Final.

For this level, the standard is utterly embarrassing. It’s like walking football at times and the passing and control is something you’d see in grassroots. I keep hearing this term: equal pay? Equal to what, a League Two apprentice? Because if they want the same as their male counterparts (internationals), without any increase in the commercial revenue (gates, sponsorship, transfers) then there’s an argument than all men playing professional football should be paid the same too - that’s how daft an argument it is.

If this is is the pinnacle of the women’s game then it still has a long way to go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, arbitro said:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/liverpool-legend-graeme-souness-blasts-17484032

Some straight talking from Souness with a reference to Yorke. I agree with a lot of what he says about the modern game and many people in it.

Interesting article. On one side he is bemoaning the lack of character in todays game. On the other he comes across as a "it was better in my day" type.

Most on here like Souness so will give him a pass. 

As a side, does anyone else find the Mirror website annoying? I rarely read any articles on there as it takes weeks to load. I'm on a PC too.

Edited by speeeeeeedie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Stuart said:

After hearing a lot of talk in the press (main news rather than sports section) about it all, I’ve flicked over to catch some of the Women’s World Cup Final.

For this level, the standard is utterly embarrassing. It’s like walking football at times and the passing and control is something you’d see in grassroots. I keep hearing this term: equal pay? Equal to what, a League Two apprentice? Because if they want the same as their male counterparts (internationals), without any increase in the commercial revenue (gates, sponsorship, transfers) then there’s an argument than all men playing professional football should be paid the same too - that’s how daft an argument it is.

If this is is the pinnacle of the women’s game then it still has a long way to go.

https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/news/a-dallas-fc-under-15-boys-squad-beat-the-u-s-womens-national-team-in-a-scrimmage/ 

The world champions lost 5-2 to Dallas under 15 boys. Not the first time this has happened either. The Australians got an even worse beating off an under 15 boys team

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3609949/Matildas-lose-7-0-Newcastle-Jets-15s-Rio-Olympics-warm-up.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone see the Messi sending off the other day - bit of a joke tbh.

 

Edited by JacknOry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Anyone see the Messi sending off the other day - bit of a joke tbh.

 

Was that before or after he said it was all fixed for Brazil to win?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Husky said:

Was that before or after he said it was all fixed for Brazil to win?

After - funny that huh?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/07/2019 at 18:11, Stuart said:

After hearing a lot of talk in the press (main news rather than sports section) about it all, I’ve flicked over to catch some of the Women’s World Cup Final.

For this level, the standard is utterly embarrassing. It’s like walking football at times and the passing and control is something you’d see in grassroots. I keep hearing this term: equal pay? Equal to what, a League Two apprentice? Because if they want the same as their male counterparts (internationals), without any increase in the commercial revenue (gates, sponsorship, transfers) then there’s an argument than all men playing professional football should be paid the same too - that’s how daft an argument it is.

If this is is the pinnacle of the women’s game then it still has a long way to go.

I saw a few games and I enjoyed the lack of diving, arguing and general cheating (apart from Cameroon) which now makes the mens game almost unbearable to watch. 

As you say though that standard is very poor and slow. I have played amateur saturday league for the past 12 seasons and I'm pretty sure I'd get in some of the women's teams. It will never match the mens game due natural physical limitations as there is with tennis etc. Good to see the womens game get more tv time though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, arbitro said:

Ex Rovers assistant manager John Jensen has been appointed Arsenals Scandinavian chief scout.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/john-jensen-confirms-arsenal-return-17997351

Wrong place, wrong time for him here. The Kean rub would have meant if we appointed Zidane assistant manager and it would have been tainted. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First game of the season for me tonight, a friendly, Witton Albion 0 Crewe 3. The first half was very even with little between the two teams. Crewe seemed to move up a gear in the second half and the gulf in the respective leagues showed as the Albion noticeably tired, especially in the last twenty minutes. 

Witton are tier seven, Northern Premier League, Premier. Same as Bamber Bridge and FC United of Manchester. Crewe is 15 miles south of Northwich, a few of their fans attended but not too many in a crowd of just over 300.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.