Sign in to follow this  
Tim Southampton Rover

Fútbol, Le Foot, Voetbal, ποδόσφαιρο

Just now, philipl said:

This is stunning. Two of the villages i have lived in in Malta made it into the Europa League. 

Balzan Youths went out 3-4 and 0-1 but Gzira United knocked out Hadjuk Split last night!

https://timesofmalta.com/articles/view/watch-gzira-knock-out-hajduk-split-with-a-magical-volley-and-last.722890

Check that bicycle kick.

They lost the home leg 0-2, were 1-0 down at HT in Croatia but won 3-1.

Valletta also through in the Champions League after knocking out Dudelange of Luxembourg.

What a goal that is.

Case of Belgium club Mechelen being pulled out of Europa League for matchfixing.

Stick to pulling clubs out for that not for having ambition.

The Gareth Bale saga seems to have no end in site. Real Madrid and Zidane want him to leave, Bale refuses to leak and wont take a pay cut on wages of £600,000 a week! 😲

Kind of think it sums up modern football that Bale would rather not play and take the money than play regularly somewhere else whilst still earning millions a year. 

Gareth Bale's current situation is ongoing; https://www.espn.co.uk/football/soccer-transfers/story/3904830/zidane-blames-suspect-spanish-in-bale-saga

It is probably a straight contract dispute but has been blown up into a saga.

It reads to me that Real want rid to finance a deal for either Pogba or Neymar yet Bale and his team are holding out to receive the full value of his contract before he leaves.

I have no issues with Bale wanting his money. Real is playing it like most clubs do pitting the player as the villain to get the fans onside.

Bale and Real have always had a strange relationship. He has helped win them trophies but has never been embraced. If the stories of him not learning Spanish are true that's a shame.

Strange character by all accounts. Supposedly not learnt a word of Spanish in 6 years.

As a contrast, Aaron Ramsey turned up for his unveiling at Juventus last week and conducted the press conference in (basic admittedly) Italian.

7 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Strange character by all accounts. Supposedly not learnt a word of Spanish in 6 years.

As a contrast, Aaron Ramsey turned up for his unveiling at Juventus last week and conducted the press conference in (basic admittedly) Italian.

Did he rehearse this then?

In contrast I can’t say I’m that impressed with Ramsey. He’s grinning like someone who passed their oral GSCE having read the words from their arm but no-one noticed!

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Maybe he doesn’t like them. He’s pretty much been treated like crap - particularly by Zidane who seems to simply not like him and preferred other players.

I’ve no real thoughts about Real Madrid, but you can imagine the place is rife with politics and cliques.

Just now, Mattyblue said:

I’ve no real thoughts about Real Madrid, but you can imagine the place is rife with politics and cliques.

100%

To be fair, if someone invited me out for a meal and they said we would be eating at 9.30pm, I probably wouldn’t go either!

Beckham didn't learn much Spanish either when he was in Madrid. Woodgate became fluent, yet he was always injured and spent all day watching Spanish TV.

How many British exports did learn the language of the country they were playing in? Lineker. Michael Robinson. Bobby Robson didn't, he had Mourinho.

I'm sure that this is one reason why British players never leave (yes, money is probably the overriding factor), although it would help their national teams if they did.

I've played football overseas. It's really easy to pick up the local football lingo and communicate on the pitch. Off it is much harder. I do wish that I knew a second language. I was pretty good at French and German at school but they aren't needed living in the USA.

Considering the obsession with weather in this country surprised more players don't move abroad. Or perhaps it's just that English players aren't as good overall as some people think but snobbery won't accept it. 

Personally I don't like very hot weather and would only move to the USA. Vegas would be the one exception but New York would be my preference. MLS should keep getting bigger but similar rules to other US sports (which are nowhere near as global) still holds it back. They should be taking advantage of FUP.

Another example of how football is broken.

It shows that these new markets for the sport just don't get it. Football is a team sport, and you support the team not just one player. They should be made to hand back their Juventus shirts and never watch another non Korean game again. Still, being contracted to appear at a friendly (which is weird) and the manager not doing it is a breach of contract.

1 minute ago, Vinjay17 said:

Christian Eriksen's penalty for Tottenham just now...awful!

My immediate thought was that he meant to fail but then again he had scored well in normal time. It was just about as bad a kick as any footballer could make.

Edited by AllRoverAsia

Not to mention he had a decent effort near the end of extra time. Bizarre really for someone of his reputation but even Pele missed an open goal once. Look at what he does to this goalkeeper though so he still manages to look great and miss an open goal at the same time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UzRsvCsC4c

Edited by Vinjay17

2 hours ago, Vinjay17 said:

Not to mention he had a decent effort near the end of extra time. Bizarre really for someone of his reputation but even Pele missed an open goal once. Look at what he does to this goalkeeper though so he still manages to look great and miss an open goal at the same time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UzRsvCsC4c

I watched that live in colour on TV, Dad upgraded from B&W to colour TV just before the WC 1970. Maybe the best Brazil team I've seen in my time.

We got one for the 1969 FA cup final, (City vs Leicester) had half the street in, chairs borrowed etc remember it was over £300 then, crazy!

10 hours ago, DeeCee said:

We got one for the 1969 FA cup final, (City vs Leicester) had half the street in, chairs borrowed etc remember it was over £300 then, crazy!

I remember that game well, and for those watching in B&W Leicester City are laying from Left to Right, or whatever it was.

I came from quite a small village and we got one of the first B&W Tvs. The Post Office mistress had one and the packed Social Club another but no TV in the Local or so I was told. The arrival of Colour TV in our house in1970 was a watershed moment as was the arrival of a 16-year-old Lass from Glasgow on holiday in the Village!! Roma was her name ^_^

'And for those of you who are watching in black and white, the pink is next to the green.' 

Whispering Ted Lowe's finest snooker commentary...