Sign in to follow this  
Tim Southampton Rover

Fútbol, Le Foot, Voetbal, ποδόσφαιρο

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Could someone who follows Spanish football please shed some light on why Barca appointed Setién? 

From what I read, they approached Xavi, Xavi said yes and changed his mind because he wanted to work with the other barca presidential candidate. So in all likelihood the current chap is a place holder until the next presidential elections. If the other chap gets in Xavi comes as manager. If the same bloke remains president then who knows what will happen (Xavi may still come, they look for an alternative guy). But the threat is that the current guy could be gone after the next elections so they needed some random chap to fill in. 

Let's be honest though anyone could fill in at Barca. 

12 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

From what I read, they approached Xavi, Xavi said yes and changed his mind because he wanted to work with the other barca presidential candidate. So in all likelihood the current chap is a place holder until the next presidential elections. If the other chap gets in Xavi comes as manager. If the same bloke remains president then who knows what will happen (Xavi may still come, they look for an alternative guy). But the threat is that the current guy could be gone after the next elections so they needed some random chap to fill in. 

Let's be honest though anyone could fill in at Barca. 

Ya, but this guy has never won anything and even his win % are nothing to write home about. Does he try and play nice football or something? From his Wiki it's like Man city giving Mowbray the job. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ya, but this guy has never won anything and even his win % are nothing to write home about. Does he try and play nice football or something? From his Wiki it's like Man city giving Mowbray the job. 

Yep - his Betis team very much adopted the Barcelona way of playing which is why many of their fans were keen to see him get the job.

2 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Just now, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Yep - his Betis team very much adopted the Barcelona way of playing which is why many of their fans were keen to see him get the job.

Also bare in mind who would take the job knowing that in 6 months there is likely a presidential change with the president bringing in Xavi as manager. It really is a caretaker role in all but name. 

Still seems a stupid way to do things mind. 

16 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

Also bare in mind who would take the job knowing that in 6 months there is likely a presidential change with the president bringing in Xavi as manager. It really is a caretaker role in all but name. 

Still seems a stupid way to do things mind. 

Isn’t it 2021? So would be a year or so perhaps? I’d imagine he sees it as a bit of a free hit! Does a good job and any new president will likely have to keep him. 

Edit - they’re summer 2021. So Setien is likely to get 18 months minimum.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

3 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Isn’t it 2021? So would be a year or so perhaps? I’d imagine he sees it as a bit of a free hit! Does a good job and any new president will likely have to keep him. 

It might be a bit more than 6 months (the article might not have said but the impression I got was they were soon.) Either way I think the principle and issues remains the same. 

From my understanding of Spanish football very often presidents use promises to get elected. Such as I will sign this player or get this manager so I would suggest the new chap who is close to Xavi will be promising Xavi as manager. 

8 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

It might be a bit more than 6 months (the article might not have said but the impression I got was they were soon.) Either way I think the principle and issues remains the same. 

From my understanding of Spanish football very often presidents use promises to get elected. Such as I will sign this player or get this manager so I would suggest the new chap who is close to Xavi will be promising Xavi as manager. 

Very likely. I have read an interview with Bartomeu which states that any new president could dispense of Setien in the summer of 2021 (elections) despite him signing a 2.5 year deal. Intrigued to see what Setien can do with Barca!

2 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Very likely. I have read an interview with Bartomeu which states that any new president could dispense of Setien in the summer of 2021 (elections) despite him signing a 2.5 year deal. Intrigued to see what Setien can do with Barca!

Win/win for him. 6 months managing Barca, a chance to win his first silverware and a pay out if they sack him during the summer. Happy days. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

3 hours ago, JacknOry said:

Also, why did they sack their current manager when sitting top of the league?

To be fair he couldn’t have had any arguments if he’d have been sacked after the Liverpool fiasco last season - especially as exactly the same thing happened at Roma a year earlier. 

That’d have made much more sense than delaying the inevitable until now.

Edited by frosty

Bit of a pisser for Sky and their favourite teams, they aren't half getting in a biased pickle!

When the West Sham player does a Thierry Henry in the build up to a goal that gets ruled out - That's a BAD DECISION and the goal should have stood.

Yet, today when QPR score against Leeds with a similar handball - and the goal stands - That's also a BAD DECISION and the goal should have been ruled out.

🤷‍♂️

The Peterborough chairman just tweeted that he has so much confidence in the team and manager that if they don't make the play-offs, he will step down as chairman. 

18 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

The Peterborough chairman just tweeted that he has so much confidence in the team and manager that if they don't make the play-offs, he will step down as chairman. 

He is the biggest attention seeker in football that man. Very unprofessional on his twitter. Wouldnt mind them failing to make the play offs!

I see David Goodwillie has scored 6 goals in his last 5 games.
He must be at least 55 years old by now.

Get Big Ben on loan somewhere in that league. It could turn him into the new Dixie Dean.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51350811

A really bizarre situation arising from VAR in Spain. I found it quite funny that they had to get him from the changing room after his wrongful red card. Significantly this was in the Spanish Second Division. VAR in all its splendor will be in the Championship soon.

Notice Reuben Rochina scored for Levante against Barcelona yesterday. Seems to have done ok for himself since leaving here. 

His stats are unremarkable really in the last few years. Had an underwhelming spell in Russia too. He is playing at the highest level to be fair, always felt like the type of player who was capable of the spectacular and would contribute with a few goals and assists, usually really good strikes but was inconsistent and at times unreliable. Easy on the eye and I think his background at Barcelona helped to make him a real fans favourite. Very few of our players post Venkys have gone on to play regularly at a similar top level, Josh King, Shane Duffy being the stand out 2.

Landfill site collapsing.

Has anyone got any more strange reasons why football games have been postponed?

Toxic Air

Marega of Porto walks off the pitch due to racist abuse from opposing fans. UEFA getting the fine ready...for Marega.

Spanish football is beyond bent , Griezmann messi faty not enough for that poxy league not to mention two recallable internationals on loan , they are granted an emergency signing from struggling Leganés who in turn are not allowed an emergency loan . 

will messi ever have the balls to play outside of Spain ?

1 hour ago, Inglorious basturk said:

Spanish football is beyond bent , Griezmann messi faty not enough for that poxy league not to mention two recallable internationals on loan , they are granted an emergency signing from struggling Leganés who in turn are not allowed an emergency loan . 

will messi ever have the balls to play outside of Spain ?

Agree with the first part. Why the unnecessary dig at Messi? The only bloke who needs to leave is that rat Bartomeu.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

15 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Apparently euro 2020 under threat because of coronavirus

I would say they have no idea about that yet as the news changes every day. Hopefully the Premier league gets called off anyway and no trophy for Liverpool 😛 

Ireland are playing Italy in the rugby in a fortnight and the government want it called off, but the IRFU are saying no. It should be called off, but I reckon Italian fans would travel over regardless