BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

RIP John Steven Taylor

ABBEY

that rhyme nearly had me in tears! R.I.P mate, Wednesday is your day, a game where you will be remembered, hopefully by a 2 minuite silence. Is the place to put flowers next to jack's statue?

I agree totally I for one will be putting flowers down at the statue it's so sad R.I.P. John :(

A minutes silence on Wednesday would be apt, anything else maybe too much. Not trying to sound heartless but where does it then stop?

I hope his family is coping through these horrible times, I suppose his son wont fully understand where his dad is and how he wont be coming back.

Horrible.

i dont think your being heartless, ut i think it is times like this when it makes you really realise what football is "A GAME", it makes you really appreciate what is important. some of the behaviour at away games is truely embarassing, on wednesday there will be a minuites silence and flowers will be laid down and i think that is right, human lives are so much more important than a game and it should be treated that way!

KEEP THE BLUE FLAG FLYING HIGH!

Accident or deliberate is not the issue for me, its the fact that people need to drink so much alcohol at football matches, surely Football should be the reason for attending the game!!

My thoughts go to the family of the lad who undeservedly lost his life, it shouldnt have happened, may he rest in peace!!

Maybe a total alcohol ban in football grounds is the answer (apart from the corporate boxes)Tragic incident and not good for our club!!

Exactly what we have had in Scotland for many years. You cannot buy any alcoholic drink of any kind inside the ground, nor can you take any into the ground in a bag or pocket. No bottles or flasks of any kind are allowed (no not even a vacuum flask of tea or coffee) and EVERY person is searched as you approach the turnstiles. It has worked very well and without any trouble or backlash at all.

• Like 1

Exactly what we have had in Scotland for many years. You cannot buy any alcoholic drink of any kind inside the ground, nor can you take any into the ground in a bag or pocket. No bottles or flasks of any kind are allowed (no not even a vacuum flask of tea or coffee) and EVERY person is searched as you approach the turnstiles. It has worked very well and without any trouble or backlash at all.

Even at Murrayfield?

• Backroom

i dont think your being heartless, ut i think it is times like this when it makes you really realise what football is "A GAME", it makes you really appreciate what is important. some of the behaviour at away games is truely embarassing, on wednesday there will be a minuites silence and flowers will be laid down and i think that is right, human lives are so much more important than a game and it should be treated that way!

KEEP THE BLUE FLAG FLYING HIGH!

Indeed as I said I think there should be a minutes silence but the 2 minutes silence should be reserved for the likes of Uncle Jack or the war dead.

RIP fellow Rover!

My deepest condolences to his family and friends and I hope you are able to move past this tragedy and move on with your lives, just try to remember the good times and celebrate them.

I'm truly gutted to hear of this, I just went numb when I heard it, and reading his facebook page etc. has just brought everything sharply into perspective.

What a terrible waste of a valuable life, a rover, a friend, a son, a husband and a Dad.

Devastated for you all.

2 Mins Silence next home game please Rovers.

Hello Fife Rover, all these non Saturday home games are mucking things up for us long distance season ticket holders eh?

Anyway, firstly, I echo the condolences of football fans everywhere to the Taylor family, I remember the older family members from my days in Darwen. I hope things get easier for you all with time. I also agree that there should be a 1 minute silence (not 2) on Wednesday.

Secondly, Fife Rover is correct with the facts about alcohol being served (or not served, to be more accurate) in Scottish football grounds. However, I live in Glasgow and tbh it doesn't make any difference whether its served in the stadium or not, most of the old firm Scots/Irish get totally wasted before they get anywhere near Ibrox or Parkhead (or whatever poor sod of a town happens to be hosting one of them) and the violence in the City is arguably the worst in the UK. In fact, Glasgow is bottom (or top, depending on which way you view it)of all the poor health indeces, particularly in relation to alcohol related illnesses.

I suppose in relation to what we understand to have happened to poor Mr Taylor at Stoke, had there been a blanket ban on alcohol in the stadium, the bar being closed possibly wouldn't have caused the reaction that it did. Although I'm not 100% sure of that to be honest - its amazing wht silly things can kick a situation off these days.

I'll stop there, before I start going on about the Nanny State, which would be inappropriate on this thread.

Aghain, condolences to the Taylor family.

We could ban alcohol at the grounds but if idiots want to be idiots they will be. They will just stay in a pub longer and then won't have anything to do at half time but to cause trouble.

Mindless, senseless, many things this incident and damaging for football as well.

I will be giving away games a wide berth for a little while and I used to enjoy them more than going to Ewood at times, I take my kids and that cold have been me or them.

Deepest sympathies to the family and friends of this man, different versions of what happened are out there but it doesn't matter and we shouldn't speculate, lets just leave them to mourn at this tough time.

RIP JOHN

there are some people on here that should be ashamed of themselves. starting rumours around a death is disgusting. no one should have opened this thread because it meant there were 6 pages before anyone that went to the game was able to get on the internet! It is true, there was a rowdy atmosphere at half time, very largely because of booze filled idiots and also because of the fact that blackburn rovers football club did not turn up AGAIN. those lads dancing around were not doing anything too far removed from what normal fans had been doing before the game eg. drinking beer and jumping up and down (most were involved in this). when the beer bottles went flying, there were a lot of 'normal' fans doing the same thing. now because this is an extremely sensitive situation, I am not going to start spreading stuff around the accident. but that is what it was, a tragic tragic accident. and mark my words that is what the police will discover following statements. murder or similar is out of the question.

i am not condoning what happened but I think people need to understand the circumstances a little better, because clearly a lot of you weren't there and a lot of you don't have a clue and as a result have been ranting and fuelling the rumours even more. THIS WAS NOT 'IN FIGHTING'.

There are lots of people on here who made sure not to spread rumours and I thank you all for that. The others should be ashamed. There a lot of sad people today in the North West, and it is not a time to be pointing fingers. ESPECIALLY IF YOU DON'T HAVE A CLUE.

My thoughts and sympathies are with John's daughter, girlfriend and family. R O V E R 4 E V A.

Please don't turn on each other on the net. lets all stick together, the club and John's friends and family deserve it.

Edited by Stuart Ripley
  • Like 7

Indeed as I said I think there should be a minutes silence but the 2 minutes silence should be reserved for the likes of Uncle Jack or the war dead.

I don't want to seem churlish but I don't think a minutes silence is necessary. Maybe some flowers laid behind the goal at the BB End by Nelsen but that should be it. I don't know the figures but every year it seems someone dies at the match (of natural causes obviously) but there is no minutes silence for them, even though it's just as tragic and upsetting for their families. Not long ago the minutes silence was an exceptional occurrence, unfortunately it's occurring more and more nowadays.

Also lets not forget that the full circumstances of this incident are not known.

I broadly agree with Theno.A 2 minute silence is reserved for the victims of war. There should be a mark of respect for the life of John and his family. Whether that is a minute`s applause,a minute`s silence, a wreath laying or the wearing of black armbands is up to the club and the family.

I have read Stuart`s post also and he appears to be an eye witness.It was a tragic accident which makes it more distressing. If it is alcohol related then I for one would gladly see a ban on sales within the stadium but sadly it is a source of revenue for clubs and there is nothing to stop alcohol being smuggled in anyway.

What with the incident at the last match when some young man was bottled on a coach shows that the club will have to investigate these incidents very thoroughly.