BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

RIP John Steven Taylor

ABBEY

First time on the mb since the game and I've been inconsolable since the game. I can't believe that a devastated family aren't going to see Joh n Taylor return home from the football. It put the game in perspective. I had to ceck the score later at night. John's death really puts footy into perspective. May God rest his soul x

RIP JOHN

there are some people on here that should be ashamed of themselves. starting rumours around a death is disgusting. no one should have opened this thread because it meant there were 6 pages before anyone that went to the game was able to get on the internet! It is true, there was a rowdy atmosphere at half time, very largely because of booze filled idiots and also because of the fact that blackburn rovers football club did not turn up AGAIN. those lads dancing around were not doing anything too far removed from what normal fans had been doing before the game eg. drinking beer and jumping up and down (most were involved in this). when the beer bottles went flying, there were a lot of 'normal' fans doing the same thing. now because this is an extremely sensitive situation, I am not going to start spreading stuff around the accident. but that is what it was, a tragic tragic accident. and mark my words that is what the police will discover following statements. murder or similar is out of the question.

i am not condoning what happened but I think people need to understand the circumstances a little better, because clearly a lot of you weren't there and a lot of you don't have a clue and as a result have been ranting and fuelling the rumours even more. THIS WAS NOT 'IN FIGHTING'.

There are lots of people on here who made sure not to spread rumours and I thank you all for that. The others should be ashamed. There a lot of sad people today in the North West, and it is not a time to be pointing fingers. ESPECIALLY IF YOU DON'T HAVE A CLUE.

My thoughts and sympathies are with John's daughter, girlfriend and family. R O V E R 4 E V A.

Please don't turn on each other on the net. lets all stick together, the club and John's friends and family deserve it.

i was there and totally agree with what you have said. RIP john

I think those of us who were there and saw what happened will all be suffering.

As this sinks in more and more the pain is growing, the facebook photos are hurting the most. I know I couldn't have done anything more but I can't help but feel guilty though, I am so sorry for the family and his son. This is the 1st time I've dealt with anything like this and although I'm First Aid trained nothing could prepare me for this, the paramedics were excellent when they arrived by the way.

I've been to so many away games, followed the team in europe, season ticket holder etc, etc. I've never been in any trouble with the police or stewards. I just feel that I don't want anything to do with football anymore or the club that I love. Blackburn Rovers away supporters are a family and on Sunday morning one of our family died RIP John.

I think those of us who were there and saw what happened will all be suffering.

As this sinks in more and more the pain is growing, the facebook photos are hurting the most. I know I couldn't have done anything more but I can't help but feel guilty though, I am so sorry for the family and his son. This is the 1st time I've dealt with anything like this and although I'm First Aid trained nothing could prepare me for this, the paramedics were excellent when they arrived by the way.

I've been to so many away games, followed the team in europe, season ticket holder etc, etc. I've never been in any trouble with the police or stewards. I just feel that I don't want anything to do with football anymore or the club that I love. Blackburn Rovers away supporters are a family and on Sunday morning one of our family died RIP John.

As an initial thought- could we get some blue and white wristbands produced- similar to the Help for Heroes and the Lance Armstrong livestrong bands with any proceeds going to John's girlfriend and daughter

Such sad sad news to hear about the untimely passing of a fellow Rovers fan, a Rovers Brother.

Your Rovers Brothers around the world are shedding a tear for you John, even though we've never met you.

You are one of the family, the Rovers Family, a family that wins together, loses together laughs and cries together.

Rovers are my heritage and I view this as a sad day in the history of the club that I, like you, were born to love. Let's hope that this is the catalyst for change and that something good might come out of this tragedy.

I'm touched by the condolences offered to the Taylor family from supporters of clubs both near and far, and hope that this brings some small piece of comfort.

Rest in piece John, though we've never met I'm sure the world will be a poorer place now that there is one less Rovers Brother.

My best wishes go out to you and yours on this sad sad day.

John Leigh - Brisbane , Australia.

well said stuart ripley. I was there and echo everything you have just said

its the first time ive been on this board since the incident and trying to come to terms with it. I also gathered it would be full of idiots throwing their two penneth in and starting rubbish and sick rumours. I darent read the earlier pages of this thread, after hearing about some of the crap on the telegraph website. If you genuinely saw the incident, do the right thing and contact the police.

rip taylor

Edited by david brent
  • Like 1

well said stuart ripley. I was there and echo everything you have just said

its the first time ive been on this board since the incident and trying to come to terms with it. I also gathered it would be full of idiots throwing their two penneth in and starting rubbish and sick rumours. I darent read the earlier pages of this thread, after hearing about some of the crap on the telegraph website. If you genuinely saw the incident, do the right thing and contact the police.

rip taylor

I have to reinforce the bold bit and say this should include pictures/videos taken from mobiles, etc.

Condolences to the family and friends, a shocking and horrific tragedy where lessons need to be learned.

I have moved back to the uk after living abroad for the best part of 10 years, the home games ive been to since my return have been fun, professional and a safe environment to take the family.

The only away game ive attended so far was at Fulham, and there was an element of idiocy at the back of the stand there that made for a rather nervous feeling as i sat with my sons. In fact at the end of the game i have a recollection of stewards and police rushing to the back of the stand at the end of the game, which with what others have posted tells me we have an element within our support that should not be there, get them out of football for good.

I didn't know John - but as I am sure every true football fan feels - am so sorry at his untimely death.

The one thing that has struck me from comments made by people who knew him - he was Rovers 100%. The best tribute that fans can give - isn't to stay away, or fight over the rights or wrongs of the unfortunate circumstances of his death - but to get behind the team that he supported through thick and thin - surely that is what he would have wanted.

For his family - nothing will fill the void that this will leave - but lets at least make Wednesday a celebration of his life - hopefully the club will allow a minutes silence - which I am sure would be impeccibly observed.

There was a problem with standing yesterday at the match. The disabled supporters could not see and our steward was very upset that the head steward was not sending personnel over to deal with it. There were also other supporters, elderly and children who wanted to sit and had others standing in front of them and impeding their view. As has been said, it is illegal to stand, when will people get this into their heads?

However, it got worse. Shocked when we were told that someone was badly injured, even more so when we found out what had happened. The poor man, who like the rest of us had gone to support his beloved club and ended up losing his life. God rest his soul, prayers and thoughts for all who knew him and were close to him.

Those who attend football matches with the sole intention of getting completely drunk should take a long hard look at themselves.

To Rovers fans - please don't let this stop your away support. We need to stick together and show everyone that we are good people and not let the idiots take over.

wonderful points, roversmum. having witnessed the standing issue myself i was utterly appalled with the sheer ignorance of people infront of the disabled platform who simply refused to sit down (dunno why... mustve been thinking it was funny and cool to look ignorant).

i was a few rows away... more central... but recognised a young lad who i know, getting abused so then he started abusing them back. things could have escalated from there! so i went an had a word with "the standers" who just laughed, told me to "f*** off!" and shrugged their shoulders. i left before i'dve done something idve regretted.

i saw him after the game and he says he might stop going cos it's happening more and he's getting more and more frustrated and angry and he said it was "soul distroying to go to a game and not get to see most of it!"

i know for a fact he's a true passionate fan... cos ive seen and spoken to him at most games. he;s a great guy, gentle character and i felt for him to be honest.

you probably know who i mean, roversmum!

i agree with those who are exasperated with some of out 'fans' i think the only way to stop them is for the decent fans to get together and speak out... when anything happens.

lastly... sincere condolences to the lad and all his family and friends... accident or not should take away from the fact that it is a real tragedy.

was he a blackburn ender?

dont know about in past times but he had a season ticket with his son in the darwen end this season...

and this isnt the thread to bring up the standing issue... thats been mentioned about 3 times now

Edited by sparky12

The Sun newspaper makes me sick, where do they get these vile headlines from about the tragic incident! Johns mum says in the LT that the police told her the bin has hit him on the back of the head following it being chucked around, but the sun makes it out to be game that has gone wrong as if it's done at every home game.

I will never buy that paper again!

R.I.P John

The Sun newspaper makes me sick, where do they get these vile headlines from about the tragic incident! Johns mum says in the LT that the police told her the bin has hit him on the back of the head following it being chucked around, but the sun makes it out to be game that has gone wrong as if it's done at every home game.

R.I.P John

'THE TRUTH' is, the Sun newspaper is sick.

A tribute was just on the North West News, it's so upsetting, they confirmed we will have a minutes silence @ the game on Wednesday.

R.I.P John

What was reported in the Sun is what many people believed had happened, so i'm not shocked by their report. But it is rather shoddy journalism if they cba researching what happened to a fan who died at the football! I wouldn't expect any less from a red-top paper.

• Backroom

R.I.P John

As Mellison said, the jist of what the sun saying was the common conception by most (including myself), if this wasn't Rovers related and some other team I imagine people on here would come to conclusions about what happened in a similar way to that of which the Sun did.

It is a sham of a paper though but we knew that anyway.

I may get attacked for this as I wasn't there but there is blame to be placed on some of our own fans somewhere down the line as no matter how it's protested or portrayed, throwing bottles and a bin is more than fans just messing around and is a recipe for disaster.

As I understand it a policeman at the ground told fans that he tried to head the bin, so you can see where they got that from.

Fully agreed on the points made regarding coverage of this and the John Terry story.

All pales into insignificance though when you consider we've lost one of our own and a family has lost a son/brother/father/partner. It was just so avoidable. God bless you John.

[quote name='Basturk4England' date='08 February 2010 - 19:33 PM' timestamp='1265657585' post='878807'

All pales into insignificance though when you consider we've lost one of our own and a family has lost a son/brother/father/partner. It was just so avoidable. God bless you John.

Agreed. What keeps ringing through my head is how do you explain to a young lad that his dad won't be coming home because some idiot threw a bin and it hit him on the head? Such a terrible shame for the family.

The arm-band thing is a good idea btw.