BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Standup Comedy

Had a quick search and couldn't find any other threads on standup comedy so thought I'd start one.

I'm a huge fan of standup comedy and over the last couple of years I've watched/listened to a fair few of them. I was just wondering what comedians people on the board are into and if there are any that you'd reccommend that I might be interested in.

My favourite of all time is Jack Dee, I don't know what it is about him that makes him my favourite, maybe it's because I became a fan of his years before half of the others had even began performing, plus I find his dryness particularly amusing.

I'm also a massive fan of Joe Rogan (Also commentates on the UFC) who is not only very funny in my opinion but is also one hell of an interesting guy, his broadcasts on Ustream are excellent in my opinion where he covers all sorts of stuff from MMA to time travel to cannibalism to basically anything, not really in a comedy way but I still like it. To my knowledge he doesn't have many DVD's floating out there but the ones he does have I'm a big fan of, especially considering I don't usually enjoy American standup's as much as English ones.

Other favourites of mine that I won't go into too much detail with are Frankie Boyle, Michael McIntyre, Lee Evans, Russel Howard, Jethro when I can understand him, Jimmy Carr to an extent. Peter Kay's are funny as well but I wouldn't quite class him as a favourite, I think it's just because I prefer Phoenix Nights so much more!

So any top acts that I'm missing? I can't help but enjoy the overly offensive ones so feel free to point any out that I might like.

A few others I've watched recently were Eddie Izzard, Roy Chubby Brown, Russel Brand and Noel Fielding who I didn't think much of. The first two I was very disappointed in as I've heard a lot of their older stuff which I enoyed, Russel and Noel's weren't exactly bad but just didn't find it that funny apart from the odd chuckle.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

I'm going to see Peter Kay in April, wish I wasn't he was great last time I saw him but has been dire on his tv appearances recently. Also I just booked some tickets to see Reginal D Hunter in Burnley in June, can't wait for that.

going to try a comedy cellar in New York next month although don't know which to try.

Also tempted by John Bishop at King Georges Hall in November

I'm going to see Peter Kay in April, wish I wasn't he was great last time I saw him but has been dire on his tv appearances recently. Also I just booked some tickets to see Reginal D Hunter in Burnley in June, can't wait for that.

going to try a comedy cellar in New York next month although don't know which to try.

Also tempted by John Bishop at King Georges Hall in November

John is brilliant, saw him a few years ago at the Comedy Store.

Me and the missus love stand up, frequent some of the smaller places - recommended are 53 degrees in Preston have a club every other friday which is pretty cheap and has four acts on (entry is about £8 and beer and wine are reasonably priced). The new frog and bucket in Preston is being visited next month as well. If anyone gets a chance to see Jason Byrne live he is amazing - we've flown to Dublin for 12 hours just to see his new act!

Obviously more the Americans for me, but some of my favorites are Sam Kinnison, Gilbert Gotfried (much funnier stand up than his normal TV/movie appearances), Billy Connolly, Jackie Martling (formerly of the Howard Stern show), Denis Leary, Mitch Hedberg, Nick DiPaolo, Richard Pryor - I could go on.

I also remember when Eddie Murphy was the funniest f-er on the planet and when Dice Clay was practically a rock star.

I went off Peter Kay since buying all 3 of his stand up dvds and they all being practically the same, who does that! Ricky Gervais is one of my favourites, Jason Manford is funny, and Rob Brydon is good, he was on Live at the Apollo as one of his characters, Keith Barrat, and although I don't know that character, it was quality,

Not quite a stand-up but the funniest act I have seen in a very long time - the Scottish Falsetto Sock Puppet Theatre. Saw them (him) at the Continental in Preston on Thursday night. Sounds bizarre and in truth it is an odd concept to see one bloke with a falsetto voice and two sock puppets on his hands entertain you for an hour but it needs to be seen to be believed. You can catch some clips on YouTube or he's on again at the Burnley Mechanics on 10th March.

Plenty of good stand-ups. Dunno about tours, though as I tend to stick to the tv appearances after Frankie Boyle Live at KGH proved a massive anti-climax.

Good comedians:

Ed Byrne

Dara O'Briain

Jason Manford

Rhod Gilbert (my fave after Michael McIntyre).

Kevin Bridges (quite new)

John Bishop (as recommended above, very good)

The Pub Landlord's always worth a go if he's on tour too.

Jim Jeffries - saw him at the Comedy Store - brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.

Stephen K Amos -saw him at KGH - excellent.

Peter Kay - saw him at the Lowry - excellent (tickets for next year - don't disappoint me Peter)

Billy Connolly - saw him in Manchester - brilliant

Jimmy Carr - saw him at KGH - good, but not as funny as the others

Dave Spikey - saw him at the Lowry - good

Comedians who I haven't seen live but I like

Rhod Gilbert

John Bishop

Jason Manford

• Backroom

Just booked some tickets to see Jason Manford at King Georges Hall in November, they've added a second date on the sunday, decided to go for second row of the balcony as its a small venue anyway.

Does anyone have any experience on NY comedy clubs and have any recomendations?

I'm hoping to get tickets to see John Bishop somewhere local, he seems very good on the telly.

Strangely Jasper Carrot used to be very, very funny in his early years. I'm thinking back around 35 years or so to the period before he made "Magic Roundabout." Carrot was pretty much a failed folk singer, or so it seemed, who realised he was a greater draw in the local folk clubs if he did comedy. I lived in Worcestershire then and he used to play all the local folk clubs on a regular basis; the one thing as an audience member you didn't do was get up to go the bar / toilet / whatever.............he'd roundly slaughter anyone who did on the way out, and on the way back in again.

Went to Hoddlesden Con Club when we were home a couple of weeks ago for a bowling club fundraiser. There was a singer/comedienne on called Janice York.

I knew she was going to be blue when she felt one of her tits and smiled over at an old bloke whilst singing her first number. Blue? She was BLUE and Chubby Brown had nothing on her. Once she finished a couple of songs she walked over to another old bloke and said something along the lines of, you're an old ugly f***er aren't you? We then knew what we were in for. She then walked round the audience picking on folk. One of those times you wanted to keep your head down. I did for a while and then decided to get a round in. Oh look at him, he's got a lovely arse, she shouted into the microphone as I stood up and walked to the bar, pity its on his shoulders. :angry2:

She was absolutely brilliant and folk were falling over laughing. Virtually every joke was BLUE and in the main original. Well worth seeing.

I'm hoping to get tickets to see John Bishop somewhere local, he seems very good on the telly.

Strangely Jasper Carrot used to be very, very funny in his early years. I'm thinking back around 35 years or so to the period before he made "Magic Roundabout." Carrot was pretty much a failed folk singer, or so it seemed, who realised he was a greater draw in the local folk clubs if he did comedy. I lived in Worcestershire then and he used to play all the local folk clubs on a regular basis; the one thing as an audience member you didn't do was get up to go the bar / toilet / whatever.............he'd roundly slaughter anyone who did on the way out, and on the way back in again.

Good shout, forgotten about old Jasper, have to dig up some of his stuff, must have a few DVD's knocking about.

Agree with the people who mentioned Rhod Gilbert as well, another I'd forgotten, very funny man.

Saw Eddie Izzard a couple of months ago - he was excellent. Also Russell Howard was very very good.

Frankie Boyle was funny too - although if you watch Mock The Week you will have seen a lot of the jokes already.

This is why I found him disappointing. I'm a BIG fan of MTW. Russel recycles a LITTLE bit, but in the main has had new material each time I've seen him. I haven't seen live Stanup for a while though, so may start again soon!

I went off Peter Kay since buying all 3 of his stand up dvds and they all being practically the same, who does that! Ricky Gervais is one of my favourites, Jason Manford is funny, and Rob Brydon is good, he was on Live at the Apollo as one of his characters, Keith Barrat, and although I don't know that character, it was quality,

You do know this is a stand up comedy thread? :rolleyes:

• Backroom

King Georges Hall this November mate tickets £20 a pop

Archived