BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Potential Summer Transfers (2010)

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What else should they call it?

Major League Baseball has been calling it that for 107 years now. Anybody else have a top-level baseball league?

And NO, Japan's short-fence league does not apply. Sorry.

Which is why it cannot be a "World Series" when only the US plays the game, so Major League Baseball has been wrong for 107 years.

US "sport" is a joke.

Which is why it cannot be a "World Series" when only the US plays the game, so Major League Baseball has been wrong for 107 years.

US "sport" is a joke.

I would wait until after the 12th of June before saying that... I am very nervous about the first game. Player for player, Rooney aside, there is not a massive difference in quality between us and the Americans unless J Cole is fit, and Lampard and Gerrard want to break a habit of a lifetime and actually turn up in a white shirt.

The States are a much harder working outfit who play to their strengths. Lets not have pride before a fall.

I would wait until after the 12th of June before saying that... I am very nervous about the first game. Player for player, Rooney aside, there is not a massive difference in quality between us and the Americans unless J Cole is fit, and Lampard and Gerrard want to break a habit of a lifetime and actually turn up in a white shirt.

The States are a much harder working outfit who play to their strengths. Lets not have pride before a fall.

Missing the point dear boy. The US football (not "sackur") team is a legitimate team competing in a world game on a world stage. Baseball and American football are not world games.

260 pages long, and people are now talking about Baseball, and slagging off the Yanks on this thread??? What the hell is going on? It's hard enough as it is to trail through all the nonsense without this. What happened to the moderators?

As I think nicko mentioned earlier, not much is going to happen until the Grella deal is wrapped up, and the World Cup is over. Do seemed to remember BFS quoting he wanted to have any transfers wrapped up before the World Cup, but obviously things don't always go according to plan.

US "sport" is a joke.

Baseball had two Canadian teams until 2004, Montreal and Toronto. Though Montreal Expos has since moved to Washington DC and became the Washington Nationals.

Since 1986 MLB teams have been playing exhibition games in Japan. In 2008 it began to do the same thing in China.

The last majory expansion of MLB was in 1998. If it expands again, it may be looking at foreign markets.

Regardless, MLB can rightfully claim the "World Series" as it fields the best baseball teams in the world (Go D-Backs!). Neither Japan, Cuba or any other baseball country can come close, yet. That may change in the very distant future.

As to US sport being a "joke" in general, the joke will be on you when the USA defeats England this Saturday. B) USA socc_r is in its infancy and becoming stronger all the time. Give it another decade or two, we'll be dominant, and you'll be weeping in your beer, bemoaning the loss of the glory days when England could actually challenge the USA. :tu:

On the issue of transfers (which this thread is about), we should hold on to Samba for at least another season or two. We need time to see if Jones (and possibly Hanley) are the real deal. Though I expect the answer will be a resounding "yes" to both. Then we can sell Samba and hopefull turn a nice profit.

US "sport" is a joke.

Sing it with me:

We are the world

We are the children

We are the ones who make a brighter day

You wanna make something of it?

We came in peace for all mankind, but it was an American flag we stuck in the moon. Try to remember that you jealous, bitter geezer.

Sing it with me:

We are the world

We are the children

We are the ones who make a brighter day

You wanna make something of it?

We came in peace for all mankind, but it was an American flag we stuck in the moon. Try to remember that you jealous, bitter geezer.

"Space may be the final frontier but it's made in a Hollywood basement" - RHCP

In boxing/MMA almost all organisations claim their champions are 'world champions'. Who cares?

I'm sceptical to spending too much time waiting on Guti. If he says no in the dying days of the summer transfer window then we'll end up like in so many recent windows this time around too. Ideally our moves should have been made this week, at least if we want someone from the World Cup. I just hope we don't end up panicking on deadline day (again...).

Regardless, MLB can rightfully claim the "World Series" as it fields the best baseball teams in the world (Go D-Backs!). Neither Japan, Cuba or any other baseball country can come close, yet. That may change in the very distant future.

I'll ask the question again for the hard of learning. How can the MLB be a "world series" when the sport is played in only one country (plus one team in Canada ?). Are Americans so parochial that they see the world beginning and ending in the US ? Please explain.

Seriously....Mods, what are you up to? This pointless off topic bickering and Jim Mrk2 baiting needs to be removed.

Good timing Ricky, but warning isnt going to work when it comes to the great pointless S_occ_er/American Sports debate. Just delete the posts please?

Saw on the LT boards that Sam is prepared to bide time on strikers....

Anyone read the actual article?? Wonder if they are playing hardball on the pole!?

I think we're waiting to see who Portsmouth go for. ;)

Far be it for me to tell the mods what to do, but purging/moving all these irrelevant posts would be a damn sight better than a friendly reminder.

There is an easier solution. Lock this thread and start a new one with the last decent post and that is what I will do.

Archived