BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ian Lawther R.I.P

mark1875

Really sad news. In my first Derby against Burnley in 1962 Ian scored a fantastic equaliser just after half time, he hit a tremendous drive from about 25yds out, it never went above about 2"above the ground all the way into the far corner, a real daisy cutter. Adam Blacklaw in the Burnley goal never saw it ! Fred Pickering got the winner for us later on and I was well chuffed that day.

He came from Sunderland with a big reputation to replace Dougan who'd moved to Aston Villa. I remember him scoring quite a few goals for us, the last in a 3-0 win at Old Trafford and a cracking header at Ewood when he outjumped the England and Everton centre half Brian Labone. Although he was only about 5ft 10 inches in height he was a good header of the ball with the ability to hang in the air. After being our leading scorer in his first season he was moved inside to allow Pickering to play centre forward, I don't know wether this unsettled him but he seemed to fall out of favour with Jack Marshall and was moved on to Scunthorpe at the end of his second season. He played 59 league games for us scoring 21 goals.

I'll never forget that goal against Burnley as long as I live , thanks for that Ian and Rest in Peace.