BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Iphone 4G

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I was wary of that when I posted here, easy mistake to make.

I can indeed probably get a refund, he can get cash for it whatever happens. Worst care scenario I could probably get more for it on envirophone or somewhere than I paid in the first place or I could flog it back to an American. Just wanted to make sure there were no obvious barriers to getting it.

Gonna ring Three and see what they offer but I doubt it will match upto my plans. Insert sinister laugh.

Chers for the help and shout if anything springs to mind which I might need to know!

EDIT: And this is the plan I intend to snag:

http://www.three.co.uk/Phones/iPhone

Scroll down to the Sim Only plans, and look at the £15 per month one for 3GS. I'm only bothered about texts and internet. I'm not sure how internet intensive they are so I may need to upgrade that at some point but I'm not a massive net user when out and about.

LOL, guess most of you have been too busy playing with your pointless apps to have noticed the dropped phone calls.

Iphone 4G, The only "smartphone" that isnt smart enough to let you make phone calls :lol: .

Will Jobs recall it? Will he fudge? No doubt tomorrow's press conference will be another massive PR spinzone and you'll be singing from the same hyme sheet.

Guest Kamy100

I have not lost reception once, even when pressing the bottom left hand corner of the phone, there definitely is a problem but have not experienced it myself, could be because I have the phone im a case. I would be amazed if they can fix this issue with a software update, this is almost certainly a hardware issue.

/sigh

The whole point is it's *not* dropping calls. Try and do a little research before spouting the same anti-apple rhetoric. You can certainly reduce the reported signal strength by shielding the aerial (something you can do on any phone), it's just due to an Apple/AT&T fudge of the bars systems, it LOOKS a lot worse than it is (because truthfully, the meter is fudge to look better than it really is by default). But the upshot it, calls will work on the slimmest of signals, so this really doesn't impact it and it all stems from the fact they greatly improved the aerial in may situations

There is a great write up of it all on anandtech

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3794/the-iphone-4-review/2

and the IOS 4.01 fix

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3821/iphone-4-redux-analyzing-apples-ios-41-signal-fix

The OS 4.01 fix basically returns the "optimistic" signal strength to old old way of reporting, so now the iPhone looks to behave like every other phone. It never did behave any different, it just looked like it did.

/sigh

The whole point is it's *not* dropping calls. Try and do a little research before spouting the same anti-apple rhetoric. You can certainly reduce the reported signal strength by shielding the aerial (something you can do on any phone), it's just due to an Apple/AT&T fudge of the bars systems, it LOOKS a lot worse than it is (because truthfully, the meter is fudge to look better than it really is by default). But the upshot it, calls will work on the slimmest of signals, so this really doesn't impact it and it all stems from the fact they greatly improved the aerial in may situations

http://www.anandtech...hone-4-review/2

and the IOS 4.01 fix

http://www.anandtech...s-41-signal-fix

The OS 4.01 fix basically returns the "optimistic" signal strength to old old way of reporting, so now the iPhone looks to behave like every other phone. It never did behave any different, it just looked like it did.

lol, it's friday lunchtime, what Steve Jobs drink have you been drinking Glenn? This does cause the signal to go completely to a point where the iphone searches for the signal again.

I have seen this for myself with 2 people that have the iphone 4 here at work. One is on Orange the other on o2. The o2 signal is weaker so goes quickly, the orange one tries to hang on but did eventually go.

Granted you really have to hold the phone tight and in the most odd fashion where you wouldn't actually be using it.

As you say, all phones exhibit this in some fashion, mine is crap and I can't get 3G when I can on another phone on the same network in the same location. However I can't get it to drop the signal completely from GPRS whereas you can on o2 in the iphone4. The thing with the iphone 4 is that there is a definate hardware / design flaw.

re 4.0.1 - LOL

First they build a phone that fails to do one of the most basic aspects of mobiles in keeping a signal and now they offer all iphone4 owners a free case to solve the problem but fail to provide enough to cover the total number sold.

How the hell this company can continue to be so successfull I don't know.

/sigh

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3794/the-iphone-4-review/2

and the IOS 4.01 fix

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3821/iphone-4-redux-analyzing-apples-ios-41-signal-fix

Reality Distortion Field Alert!!!

In essence, RDF is the idea that Steve Jobs is able to convince himself and others to believe almost anything with a mix of charm, charisma, bluster, exaggeration, marketing, appeasement, and persistence.

I even heard one apple fan on BBC news liken covering an antenna and losing signal to covering a speaker and getting less sound quality...seriously!

To be honest, those of you who are such hardened anti-apple anti-fanboys are just as sad as anyone who is a complete apple fanboy. Apple produce some fantastic products that are wonderful pieces of technology and also very attractive. They are great for a lot of people, but I can understand those who feel that they are overpriced and that they can get similar products for much less, but that's true of quite a few companies and manufacturers.

To be honest, those of you who are such hardened anti-apple anti-fanboys are just as sad as anyone who is a complete apple fanboy. Apple produce some fantastic products that are wonderful pieces of technology and also very attractive. They are great for a lot of people, but I can understand those who feel that they are overpriced and that they can get similar products for much less, but that's true of quite a few companies and manufacturers.

Fo me, it's not a hatred of the product, its a bewilderment at the attitude of most of the Apple fanatics. Most will spout without rhyme or reason exactly what Steve Jobs says as though it is from bible. Amzaingly to them, the internet had never been available on a phone before apple invented it. Nor games, or video etc. But without fail, all of the functions available in the iphone were available in other smartphones and usually better years before.

What Apple did was put it in a shiny package and dumb down the GUI that made it attractive to the masses. Perfect piece of kit, marketed beautifully. I have indeed recommended the iphone to people who want new phones. I just don't get the fantatism of some of the users.

Firstly, I would second what Biddy said.

If you want to label me anti-Apple that's fine and I do admit I wish more people would "see through their bull" as I believe I do.

They seem immune to the laws other companies suffer from - Microsoft can't even include Windows Media player now with it's Operation System in Europe because it's "anti-competitive" and yet Apple can design a compuer that you are all but forced to use them for replacement parts/repairs and that is perfectly legal? Can someone please explain that one to me?

But I guess what annoys me about the Apple way of thinking a lot of people are subscribing to it that Apple products are somehow seperate to their competitors. It started with their computers and you regulary see phrases like "PC or Mac" as if a Mac isn't a personal computer. But now I am starting to see the term iPhone being used as a replacement for the word phone and yes, that annoys me. Just yersterday I was reading a post on 606 where a guy said something along the lines of "I'm reading this on my iPhone so......"; you'd never say 'I'm reading this on my N95' or 'I'm reading this on my LG KM900' you would just say 'I'm reading this on my phone so....'

Now, you'll accuse me of using terms like "Biro", "Hoover" or "Coke" but the massive difference is those companies invented those items so it's reasonable that their brandnames became by-words for ball-point pen, vaccuum cleaner and cola but Apple are babies on the mobile phone market. To back that up, I don't actually mind that fact iPod has become the word for mp3 player (often regardless of make) because to be fair the iPod basically killed the portable CD player.

Maybe it's just an example of successful marketing, but does anyone really want to stand there and admit that their opinions are based on marketing rather than their own free decision and evaluation?

Very much understand what you are saying there EWIW. I feel the point is, for me at any rate, it's a good phone and let's me do things easily. I like Nokias, had them for 15 years, but I couldn't find one has simple to use as the iPhone.

BTW posting this from my iPhone :)

Though I can't make it do smilies !!!!

Firstly, I would second what Biddy said.

If you want to label me anti-Apple that's fine and I do admit I wish more people would "see through their bull" as I believe I do.

They seem immune to the laws other companies suffer from - Microsoft can't even include Windows Media player now with it's Operation System in Europe because it's "anti-competitive" and yet Apple can design a compuer that you are all but forced to use them for replacement parts/repairs and that is perfectly legal? Can someone please explain that one to me?

But I guess what annoys me about the Apple way of thinking a lot of people are subscribing to it that Apple products are somehow seperate to their competitors. It started with their computers and you regulary see phrases like "PC or Mac" as if a Mac isn't a personal computer. But now I am starting to see the term iPhone being used as a replacement for the word phone and yes, that annoys me. Just yersterday I was reading a post on 606 where a guy said something along the lines of "I'm reading this on my iPhone so......"; you'd never say 'I'm reading this on my N95' or 'I'm reading this on my LG KM900' you would just say 'I'm reading this on my phone so....'

Now, you'll accuse me of using terms like "Biro", "Hoover" or "Coke" but the massive difference is those companies invented those items so it's reasonable that their brandnames became by-words for ball-point pen, vaccuum cleaner and cola but Apple are babies on the mobile phone market. To back that up, I don't actually mind that fact iPod has become the word for mp3 player (often regardless of make) because to be fair the iPod basically killed the portable CD player.

Maybe it's just an example of successful marketing, but does anyone really want to stand there and admit that their opinions are based on marketing rather than their own free decision and evaluation?

In some respects it is the product of successful marketing and the fact that there is an element of caché and you've even touched on part of the flaw in your argument when you mentioned some of those companies: Biro didn't invent the pen, but they did bring about a massive change in its design and for all the people who say that similar, sometimes even better, products existed before the first iphone it was really the phone that kick started the smartphone and touchscreen revolution. A similar thing is about to happen with tablet pcs, which have existed for years, but Apple is the first to successfully market one. In a few years time we will probably look back and think that the iphone has effectively killed all other forms of cell phones until new technology comes about. Just look at the shift in phone design, it is virtually impossible to walk into a phone store now and find a phone manufacturer that doesn't have a phone that looks somewhat similar to the iphone and that certainly wasn't the case 5 years ago.

What's their bull? Some of their products aren't great, but the majority are. I would never buy a first generation apple product and I've had my fair share of problems with ipods, but when I think of the number of ipods, iphones and macs that I have had they have done significantly better than anything I have owned that was made by any of their major rivals.

There's a big difference between the windows issue and the the mac products. The problem with windows is that microsoft had a stranglehold on the software side of computers, with macs the questions is purely one of hardware. If you buy a mac then you are pretty much locked into having to deal with them for any mac repairs, but you can easily change the operating system, use third-party programs and do whatever you want from a software standpoint. Microsoft were/are essentially able to control much of the future of software development and prevent any rivals from producing a viable alternative.

The rejection of the cult of apple only perpetuates the cult itself. People simply need to accept that it is a company that makes some nice products. They're usually at the forefront of consumer technology and are wonderfully designed both from a user and aesthetic standpoint. What more do you want? If you want a brilliant gaming pc then look elsewhere. If you want something cheap then go elsewhere. If you want a phone that is just a phone then go elsewhere. If you are like most people though and can afford it then buying an apple product will see you with a good piece of tech that will most likely last for years (ipods aside).

In some respects it is the product of successful marketing and the fact that there is an element of caché and you've even touched on part of the flaw in your argument when you mentioned some of those companies: Biro didn't invent the pen, but they did bring about a massive change in its design

Biro invented the first ball point pen, Apple have never been first with anything. They just pretend they have in their adverts (like Internet on a mobile phone for example). There is a difference in being the first and getting your brand used as a synonomous term and entering a market what, 30 years late?

and for all the people who say that similar, sometimes even better, products existed before the first iphone it was really the phone that kick started the smartphone and touchscreen revolution.

That's why I hate Apple fan boys, they use Job's OTT rhetoric and describe pieces of silicon and being capable of a 'revolution'. Oh dear...

Anyway, I disagree. I will give you the full touchscreen as although I had one years before the iPhone not many did until Apple released their phone but I do not accept they kick started the 'smartphone' fad.

The word 'smartphone' just means modern phone. The features on mobiles have been growing over many years so they have evolved into what we describe as smartphones. The Nokia N95 was massive in it's day so why isn't that a smartphone? It has the internet, a camera, video calling, email etc etc.

At what point in your opinion did phones go from being just phones to 'smartphones' and what specific feature was it?

A similar thing is about to happen with tablet pcs, which have existed for years, but Apple is the first to successfully market one.

Are you talking about the iPad? That's not a tablet PC, it's a big iPhone without flash or the ability to make phone calls (similar to the iPhone 4 really :D)

In a few years time we will probably look back and think that the iphone has effectively killed all other forms of cell phones until new technology comes about.

Um, no but I can see Steve Job's dream is really got you bad! You are also advocating a Monopoly which no consumer should ever want or seek.

Just look at the shift in phone design, it is virtually impossible to walk into a phone store now and find a phone manufacturer that doesn't have a phone that looks somewhat similar to the iphone and that certainly wasn't the case 5 years ago.

And TBH that does sadden me. But can you blame these companies? It's not because they all think Apple have found the design to kill all designs, they've just witnessed how many sheeple exist on this planet so it's the easist way to cash in.

What's their bull?

Where do I start, have you actually heard the claim they make in their adverts? In fact, Apple even said the following as a legal defense when fighting a lawsuit for false advertising..

"Our Ads Don’t Lie, But You’re a Fool if You Believe Them."

You couldn't make it up!!!

Some of their products aren't great, but the majority are. I would never buy a first generation apple product and I've had my fair share of problems with ipods, but when I think of the number of ipods, iphones and macs that I have had they have done significantly better than anything I have owned that was made by any of their major rivals.

But when you owned a Mac did you own a PC at the same time? I doubt you bought an iPhone and an Andriod and used both so your comparison doesn't really mean anything.

continued....

There's a big difference between the windows issue and the the mac products. The problem with windows is that microsoft had a stranglehold on the software side of computers, with macs the questions is purely one of hardware. If you buy a mac then you are pretty much locked into having to deal with them for any mac repairs, but you can easily change the operating system, use third-party programs and do whatever you want from a software standpoint. Microsoft were/are essentially able to control much of the future of software development and prevent any rivals from producing a viable alternative.

Sorry I was asking about the difference in principle not format. Furthermore, getting WMP with Window doesn't prevent you from not using it/uninstalling and using something else unlike Apple and their hardware.

IMO, Apple are the most anti-competitive company that exist today.

The rejection of the cult of apple only perpetuates the cult itself.

Revolutions, cults....someone please shoot me!!

People simply need to accept that it is a company that makes some nice products.

No, Apple and their fans need to to accept that it is a company that makes some nice products; and not some cult or revolution. The iPhone is just another brand of mobile phone it is not special or seperate to other manufacturers and a Mac is a personal computer.

If only the view of Apple was that it just a company that made nice products, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

They're usually at the forefront of consumer technology

In the same way the Americans were at the forefront on the WW2 victory. They join the party late, shout the loudest then claim all the glory themselves.

and are wonderfully designed both from a user and aesthetic standpoint. What more do you want?

A sense of individualism and not being labled a c*** by the rest of society.

If you want a brilliant gaming pc then look elsewhere. If you want something cheap then go elsewhere. If you want a phone that is just a phone then go elsewhere. If you are like most people though and can afford it then buying an apple product will see you with a good piece of tech that will most likely last for years (ipods aside).

'Most people'? I know far more people who don't own an Apple product that do.

This obviously upsets you quite a bit. No point discussing it any further really.

As for saying that Apple as a company hasn't invented anything...you couldn't be further from the truth.

If it were 1990 you'd be the same kind of guy screaming about Apple. The person supporting the mismanaged company that had played such a vital part in developing the personal computer and still continued to be at the forefront of technological development, but a company struggling to get by. Now it's a giant and because everyone likes it you hate it. It's really quite sad.

That's got to be one of the oddest statements I've ever read. I think you will find that ANY x86/x64 based OS will work on a "PC" you don't have to have Windows at all. People just have the expectation that they must. Even in windows, you can happily install ANY other web browser, ANY other media player, ANY other office application etc etc.

Microsoft were stopped from shipping Internet Explorer (not WMP) in Europe on Windows 7 to allow competition for other browsers. Apple on the other hand are allowed to continue to ship Safari (their own browser) on their OS (that is tied to MAC's only). They have one of the most tied down infrastructures going and continue to get away with it. The only reason no one really goes after them is that they still only hold a niche of the computing market.

As for saying that Apple as a company hasn't invented anything...you couldn't be further from the truth.

What has Apple actually invented? They have designed some nice things around items that already exisited but I can't think of what they invented from scratch.

the GUI, stolen from Xerox Parc

OSX - is linux under the hood

touchscreen/smart phones - been around for years

I know there probably are some major things and I'm just being silly for the sake of it but they don't invent a whole lot of things.

Now it's a giant and because everyone likes it you hate it. It's really quite sad.

The people who obsess over Apple products make it VERY easy to hate the company. The ones who queue up for hours when a new product is released, it's just creepy.

Plus I heard a quote from Steve Jobs which irritated me. - "You can't just ask customers what they want and then try to give that to them. By the time you get it built, they'll want something new."

That's the iPad all over. Nobody in their right mind would have wanted something like an iPad before Apple made it. Stick an Apple badge on there and plaster funky adverts all over the place, and suddenly people are creaming themselves over it...despite it being ridiculously expensive. Apple fans do seem to just follow whatever they say/do, it's incredibly irritating.

"You already know how to use it!". (Please don't use that word again) off, Jobs.

That quote has nothing to do with the Ipad. He's simply saying that consumer desires change in less time than it takes to design and manufacture a product. As for the queuing up for things, the same thing happens for playstations, 360s and the like.

There has long been an interest in tablet computers. I won't be buying one myself, but if in certain jobs it would be really useful or if I just had 600-800 to spend on something to read and browse the internet on around the house and on my way to work.

That quote has nothing to do with the Ipad. He's simply saying that consumer desires change in less time than it takes to design and manufacture a product. As for the queuing up for things, the same thing happens for playstations, 360s and the like.

There has long been an interest in tablet computers. I won't be buying one myself, but if in certain jobs it would be really useful or if I just had 600-800 to spend on something to read and browse the internet on around the house and on my way to work.

I don't want to turn this into (another) iPad debate.

I know the quote isn't about the iPad, but it's that kind of ethos which ends up producing things that people simply do not want or need, until it's implanted in their thick heads that they do.

Tablet PC...yeah, I get that. This is about as powerful as a kitten's fart though. If it was as powerful as a say...a netbook, then I'd totally get the point.

"browse the internet on around the house and on my way to work". People could do that already.

Archived