BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Iphone 4G

It appears I think like Rupert Murdoch whereas Ewood and I Would and LeChuck do not.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/aug/05/ipad-rupert-murdoch-apple-newscorp

I wonder who will be right.....

What's that got to do with the iPhone 4?

Anyway, ebook readers have been around since 2004 (Sony LIBRIé) and I remember seeing them being used and talked about as devices that newspapers would move onto. Once again Apple being credited with a concept they never invented (yet they accuse MS of the same thing all the time).

Go read a paper on an iPad, the majority of onlookers will think "cock" though. Look everyone, I just spent £500 to do something I could have done for 30p, aren't I the Dog's Gonads??? No, you're an idiot.

Besides, a real newspaper is more advanced, you can fold it up when you're not using it.

Have you used an iPad? For web browsing, email and movies on the go it's great, it's a lot better than lugging around a laptop. It's easy to use for people of any age, especially kids. It's a very fun device. It's never going to replace a 'real' computer, but that's not it's purpose. It does everything it is designed to do really well and is idiot proof.

For a lot of people it'd be better for then than a crappy windows laptop, they certainly wouldn't have to worry about viruses, spyware and downloading security updates everyday!

It's not really a big phone either, it is comparable to an iPhone as it uses the same operating system. Which is a good thing as it means apps are compatible between your idevices :-)

I don't have an iPad yet, but will be very tempted when the 2nd generation is released next year. At the moment, I'm happy with an iPhone and my MacBook. Though if I did a lot of commuting on public transport, I'd have an iPad.

OMG, does your fanboyism reach no bounds? Seriously read that back and tell me you're not delusional.

OK about it being great for movies on the go, I would say the vast majority of video on the web is flash based, so you can't watch them. So it's great for watching videos you've put on it already on the go, well so's a laptop and has a much bigger hard drive to store them on. How big is a DVD rip nowadays? 4-6GB or so, well that's most of your memory gone on the iFad {not a typo} unless you got the ultra-expensive version and then you might just fit 4 or 5 DVD quality movies on there max'. So no flash movies and very limited space to hold DVD quality film on the HDD...how have you come to your conclusion that it's great for movies exactly?

"lugging around a laptop"...

Oh go to the Gym. What does a notebook weight? 3 or 4 lbs? How weak are you that you consider carrying something that light as "lugging"? You lug a rucksack around, you lug a PC around but you don't lug something that weighs 3lbs around. How much do your shoes weigh? It must be a nightmare lugging them about all day. Is this Apple's dream? create legion of imaciated people who consider anything that weighs more that 2lbs as a work out?

"It's a very fun device"

...Can I play Pro Evo on it? No, oh well at least I can play some online flash games....oh no wait I can't can I? I suppose if you are still amazed by touchscreen technology (my fingers are actually doing stuff on the screen, OMFG!!!) you could gain some fun from it.

"....and is idiot proof."

Well Apple certainly know their target market, I'll give them that :D

"than a crappy windows laptop"

Well what a balanced, unbiased person you are. All laptops are "crappy" regardless of make, hardware and price.

"It's not really a big phone either"

Of course not, you can't make calls on it. But then the iPhone 4 struggles with that task as well I've heard.

"Which is a good thing as it means apps are compatible between your idevices"

But not between anything else. Whilst other manufacturers make their products compatible with each other, World-Domination-Seekers Apple ensure that if you buy one of their products, you have to buy the whole gadget set to get the full "experience" (which of course is impossible to achieve by having products by different manufacturers, that's just crazy!). You have managed to turn the most closed loop company in existence today sound they are being generous by allowing you to move data between their devices. Please look up "Reality Distortion Field on Wikipedia and rate your victimness status, it'll be high.

"if I did a lot of commuting on public transport, I'd have an iPad."

And you'd probably look like a nob.

The media/Internet element was tagged on to PCs as a means to end. They were not built for that purpose.

Time will tell

I disagree, the Internet as we know it was built on and for the traditional PC, it's obvious really. It was designed for the media (computers) that it was intended for so it's not relevant that computers aren't built for media/internet because media/internet is designed for computers!

Most websites you use will be designed to be used with a mouse. Links that are close together for example because you have single pixel. With your finger you are limited to covers hundreds of pixels at a time so their will always be a need for a mouse for a lot of sites/programmes. No FPS game would work with your finger for example...ever (not accurately anyway) and Photoshop couldn't work on an iFad type device either.

If you think the internet consists solely of Facebook, Twitter and Youtube then an iPad device could work for you, those sites are so big they can afford to cater for various mediums and make various versions of their sites for different types of browsing.

The sites that constitute the other 99.9% of the web though isn't as flexible, and won't be for a very long time.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pareto's law.

20% of the websites will be used by 80% of the users. (an approximation, but paretos law is accepted in many situations). Those on the periphery (I.e. Not the main websites) won't really matter to big business.

They will have to sink or swim

Ewood and I Would, you sound like the one that has a few issues. Why are you getting so aggressive and insulting? I think you are a bit of a Windows fan boy? Maybe you're not cool enough to own Apple products? Better stick to your Windows 7 parties. :lol:

Archived