BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Shearer Years

Thanks for posting this.

Had the videos when I was a kid, and always watched them in the Summer holidays, so much so that I wore the 92/93 and 93/94 videos out.

Obviously a lot of the grounds have changed, but two things that did make me chuckle.

No coloured boots and corner flags on the halfway line!! Where did they go?

• Backroom

Of the current team, I can only think Samba, Nelsen (a few years ago, anyhow), Jones and maybe N'Zonzi would have had a chance of getting into that team.

Andrews would have struggled to make the reserves.

Edited by DE4life

Of the current team, I can only think Samba, Nelsen (a few years ago, anyhow), Jones and maybe N'Zonzi would have had a chance of getting into that team.

Andrews would have struggled to make the reserves.

We'd need room for Hendry so we couldnt have Samba and Nelsen.

Samba and Hendry at the back would be amazing though. The ultimate clash of footballing cultures.

Starting with 1993-94...

That very first one against Chelsea away - I was at that. I went with my brother and it was in that open terrace, in blazing sunshine. By half time we were dying of thirst and by the end we had thumping headaches and bad sunburn. And then the usual ritual of having bottles tossed on our heads as we walked out.

Glenn Hoddle's first game as player manager too. He had a beautiful moment where he controlled a long pass with a tiny flick of his foot, but then again he lost the game.

Ahhh magic.

I've got this vid back home, great post. I used to watch it over and over again when I was 8/9, so much so I can still almost remember the commentary word for word.

"Shearer chasing it on, he's behind Pallister, he can't pin him down, there's the inevitable outcome!" Classic.

Edited by Kei

• 3 weeks later...

Watching those clips not only brings back great memories, but makes you realise just what a fantastic team we had then. There was definitely a spell that season where we were probably the best that Rovers have ever been, and that includes the Championship season.

What still surprises me now is the pace of the team. Shearer, Gallagher, Ripley and Wilcox just full of pace and running, not to mention the full backs Le Saux and even Berg! Then of course Batty and Sherwood who played Ince and Keane off the park twice in the same season. And Batty even won the fans player of the year. Not Shearer.

Makes you wonder how close we would come if put against the top teams of today. Right now I'd say we'd demolish the lot with the exception of Chelsea.

• Like 1

• Backroom

Not sure about that mate, the quality of the league has improved considerably in a number of ways since 1994. I'm not sure that Rovers team would be title contenders matched against the same players of today.

Surely that's a bit like saying England's Euro 96 team wouldn't beat today's crop of wasters.....

I know who I'd back.

The Scum double winning team of 93-94 is arguably the best team of the last 20 years and we pushed them all the way.

• Backroom

It isn't really comparable to the England national team at all.

The Premiership as a division has far more quality now and is far more competitive than it was in 1993/1994, or 1994/1995. That's not to diminish the achievements of our players during that time, but if those same group of players were to play in the current climate I'm not sure they'd be as successful as they were back then.

Flowers, Hendry, Le Saux, Berg, Batty, Ripley and of course Shearer would still be good to excellent premiership players IMO. Not so sure about the others. Would players like Slater, Wilcox, Warhurst, Newell, Pearce, Atkins or even Sherwood be anywhere near as effective now as they were back then? We'd be challenging in the top half, but I'm not sure we'd be breaking the top four.

Just my opinion, though. It's entirely possible I'm underestimating the talents of some squad members - players like Sherwood, Sutton, Newell, Gallacher are debatable.

• 11 months later...

I don't know if it is on the videos but my favourite Shearer goal was a scissor kicked volley from around the penalty spot - I think against Southampton. Awesome player and such a shame it turned so sour for a while.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.