BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] South Of The Uk

PAFELL

Living in the south east of the uk, Hastings area. I am curious to know how many other Rovers supporters on here, live in the southeast of the uk. I ask as I work - at the moment - for a bus / coach company. But also out of curiosity. I think people on here, maybe from Blackburn do not realise the extent the support is for 'little old Blackburn Rovers'. I am also interested in learning how you get to Rovers games, if you are able etc etc. I find it amusing, yet sad that so called Rovers supporters who live locally cannot or don't go to games at ewood park. I am awhere there is a london supporters club, but what about a south east one???

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not really in the same area as you as I'm in Herefordshire. I drive to quite a few home matches. I also pick up a rovers fan about 10 miles down the road. She lost her husband about 18 months ago, he was a huge rovers fan. She's kept the season tickets going and basically I drive and she buys the tickets. Works out really well.

Funilly enough though I played Sunday league a couple of months ago and was playing against another rovers fan who is also moving down to the town I live in, he's a season ticket holder as well so there will be 3 of us travelling up together then.

Hampshire, born and raised, on the playground is where I spent most of my days.

<_< Topman from your posts, I suggest you left school 'more than awhile' ago. Do you get to the games at all? I always listen on Rovers world, best next thing if I cannot get to the games. Though Fulham and WHU away is a must - for the latter found it hard to find a 'safe pub'.

Not really in the same area as you as I'm in Herefordshire. I drive to quite a few home matches. I also pick up a rovers fan about 10 miles down the road. She lost her husband about 18 months ago, he was a huge rovers fan. She's kept the season tickets going and basically I drive and she buys the tickets. Works out really well.

Funilly enough though I played Sunday league a couple of months ago and was playing against another rovers fan who is also moving down to the town I live in, he's a season ticket holder as well so there will be 3 of us travelling up together then.

Interesting story about the women. Sunday league football, small world. I know of at least 3 in my town (ok I am cheating, as one is my wife - but she counts)

I get to games at christmas. My wife and I always come up then. Stay at travel lodge (cheap as possible) splash out for a christmas meal somewhere - Ashley Bank last year - then take in 2 to 3 games.

Horsham in West Sussex. Family from Darwen, although I was raised in Blackpool and then moved South about 10 years ago.

Mostly get to away games down this way now - managed all the London teams and Pompey for the last couple of seasons.

Unfortunately not managed to get to Ewood since the Derby County game at the end of the season about 2 years ago. Doubly annoying as I haven't yet managed to see the brick on the Walker Fame thing that I got as a wedding present. Determined to get to a couple of home games this season though - when I do get to Ewood, usually drive up and tie it into visiting family.

<_< Topman from your posts, I suggest you left school 'more than awhile' ago. Do you get to the games at all? I always listen on Rovers world, best next thing if I cannot get to the games. Though Fulham and WHU away is a must - for the latter found it hard to find a 'safe pub'.

How old do you think I am? Just curious.

Getting to the games is hard work for me, I only make enough money to scrape by, and of course throw in the distance. It was handy when Pompey were still in the PL, though.

There's quite a few of us Rovers fans in Southampton. I reguarly see shirts around the city as well as in pubs watching games.

Personally I tend to go to away games as I find it really difficult to get back to Southampton from Blackburn after the games due to the lack of trains/coaches heading to Southampton. Usually the only option for me is to book a room at a hotel (normally the Fernhurst) and then make my way home the following morning. Obviously the cost of transport, accomodation, food/drink etc becomes expensive if it's done regularly so I tend to stick to away games, mainly South of Blackburn unless I plan to stay overnight.

I find it amusing, yet sad that so called Rovers supporters who live locally cannot or don't go to games at ewood park.

I don't really agree to this because I know a lot of Blackburn fans, who love Rovers with a passion, yet do not attend home games despite living minutes from the stadium. You need to remember that not everyone can afford the time or the money to always attend matches. Also people have families to look after and it can add up to a lot of money attending games regularly.

I think we should be delighted that Rovers can attract a really high percentage of fans when compared to the size of the town. Southampton isn't really a huge city but even I find Blackburn to be such a small place so it's remarkable how many fans actually attend games.

I live in Cambridge, and I seldom see Ewood in the flesh. Thankfully, the wealth of London clubs means I get to see a fair few games. If Ipswich and Norwich wanted to do the decent thing and get promoted so I could see a couple more I'd appreciate it, too.

Edit: Anyone else from outside Lancashire have no connection to Blackburn either? I'm born and bred in Cambridge, and started supporting Rovers the very year The U's finished above Rovers on goal difference...

How old do you think I am? Just curious.

Getting to the games is hard work for me, I only make enough money to scrape by, and of course throw in the distance. It was handy when Pompey were still in the PL, though.

:rolleyes: Er working age, plus maybe 20. I make enough to 'treat myself and my wife to get to ewood for christmas - plus a little bit more.

Others may like the christmas treee etc. We would rather have a football christmas. We travel the cheapest way, we stay at the cheapest places - travelodge last year was £19.00 a night for room, though £29.00 for Christmas day, boxing day. Plus tickest for the games etc. We walked from travelodge to ewood for the wigan away game on boxing day. I'll rewrite that we nearly broke our necks getting to ewood from travelodge due to the snow and ice etc. The only problem we had was finding somewhere to have a drink. Tried the Anchor in darwen (if I have the name right)the looks and stares we got from the 'local' drinkers you would have thought we had landed from mars etc.

We ended up at the blues bar most the time.

• Backroom

I live in Cambridge, and I seldom see Ewood in the flesh. Thankfully, the wealth of London clubs means I get to see a fair few games. If Ipswich and Norwich wanted to do the decent thing and get promoted so I could see a couple more I'd appreciate it, too.

Similar story here, live in Ipswich so I normally only get to see t'Rovers if they're playing away at a London club. And with our away performances it's not exactly an exciting prospect :D whenever Rovers and Ipswich have played I've been there, though.

Getting to Ewood is ridiculously expensive and a very long journey so I am rarely able to attend. If there was any remotely viable way of me getting to Ewood on Saturdays within a decent price range (am doing a Masters atm so cash is in short supply) i'd snap it up in a heartbeat.

There's quite a few of us Rovers fans in Southampton. I reguarly see shirts around the city as well as in pubs watching games.

Personally I tend to go to away games as I find it really difficult to get back to Southampton from Blackburn after the games due to the lack of trains/coaches heading to Southampton. Usually the only option for me is to book a room at a hotel (normally the Fernhurst) and then make my way home the following morning. Obviously the cost of transport, accomodation, food/drink etc becomes expensive if it's done regularly so I tend to stick to away games, mainly South of Blackburn unless I plan to stay overnight.

I don't really agree to this because I know a lot of Blackburn fans, who love Rovers with a passion, yet do not attend home games despite living minutes from the stadium. You need to remember that not everyone can afford the time or the money to always attend matches. Also people have families to look after and it can add up to a lot of money attending games regularly.

I think we should be delighted that Rovers can attract a really high percentage of fans when compared to the size of the town. Southampton isn't really a huge city but even I find Blackburn to be such a small place so it's remarkable how many fans actually attend games.

Please do not be offended about what I said about game attendence. I am more than aware that there anr many many reasons why somebody cannot get to a game, money often being the main reason. Maybe I find that sad also, that people are priced out of being able to attend their local prem game, but that is life I suppose. I did say I find it sad, not offensive that there are folk locally who cannot get to games. The family, work commitments etc must always come before a football match.

Instead of fenhurst, try travelodge, only cos it is cheaper.

Not offended in the slightest :)

Putting money etc aside, I know what you mean though. If I lived near Ewood or within sensible travelling distance then I probably would try my best to attend the majority of games. I'm lucky to have a gf who puts up with my obsession especially when a lot of my friends have had girlfriends walk out on them due to football. I think I am gradually turning her into a Rovers fan. :lol: Is anyone else lucky like that and do you try and get them involved just to make it easier for you? LOL :D

My friend, a massive Man City fan, travelled to games from Southampton as often as he could and his girlfriend was getting so ###### off with him for spending some of their work free weekends going to see City. She decided to give him an ultimatum. He either stopped going to see City or stopped seeing her. He's now got a season ticket :lol:

Close(ish), but no cigar.

I'm from the wee town of Havant.

*cough* skate *cough* :lol:

Born and live in High Wycombe, Bucks. I'm a Rovers fan because my father is although he's from Amersham, Bucks.

He visited friends in Blackburn and they went to a game at Ewood against Tottenham. As he was visiting, he decided to support Blackburn and has ever since. I've been a fan for the last 30 years after my father took me to see Rovers play Oxford United. Rovers won 1-0, goal by Simon Garner, and I've been a fan since then.

We used to be members of the London supports club but that ended a number of years back. We try and get to a couple of games at Ewood per year but he wants to try some away games this year so I'll see what I can sort out for us.

Not from the south but I have just moved down to Ipswich for work from Bolton. I've noticed one other Blackburn fan in the gym.

Started my new job last week and turns out the other new sports lecturer is from Bolton and is a Wanderers fan, small world I thought as i was under the impression real Bolton folk wouldn't leave their beloved town to go down south.

I doubt I'll be getting to many games now I'm down here but hopefully it'll just be for a year before i can get back up north.

Born and live in High Wycombe, Bucks. I'm a Rovers fan because my father is although he's from Amersham, Bucks.

He visited friends in Blackburn and they went to a game at Ewood against Tottenham. As he was visiting, he decided to support Blackburn and has ever since. I've been a fan for the last 30 years after my father took me to see Rovers play Oxford United. Rovers won 1-0, goal by Simon Garner, and I've been a fan since then.

We used to be members of the London supports club but that ended a number of years back. We try and get to a couple of games at Ewood per year but he wants to try some away games this year so I'll see what I can sort out for us.

The Manor Ground. I was there. Billed as Simon Garner v Billy Hamilton. Them were the days. Gloucestershire for me these days.

Not offended in the slightest :)

Putting money etc aside, I know what you mean though. If I lived near Ewood or within sensible travelling distance then I probably would try my best to attend the majority of games. I'm lucky to have a gf who puts up with my obsession especially when a lot of my friends have had girlfriends walk out on them due to football. I think I am gradually turning her into a Rovers fan. :lol: Is anyone else lucky like that and do you try and get them involved just to make it easier for you? LOL :D

My friend, a massive Man City fan, travelled to games from Southampton as often as he could and his girlfriend was getting so ###### off with him for spending some of their work free weekends going to see City. She decided to give him an ultimatum. He either stopped going to see City or stopped seeing her. He's now got a season ticket :lol:

When I met my wife she did not like football. But unbeknown to me she bought for my birthday a ticket to go and see Rovers. I had no idea where I was going until I got on the train. She then told me where we were going. I said I hoped she has bought two tickets, one for her as well as myself. She had. I could not help comment at the time that I hoped she then got the football bug - but I did not have much hope in that happening.

The end of the story is that she did well and truly get the bug. Won't miss a game on telly, her idea for christmas in Blackburn just for football.

She has since met most the players, got there autographs, was able to meet Bentley and Derbyshire in the reception area of the players entrance. She is now a football nut.

*cough* skate *cough* :lol:

Another southerner here. I live just outside Southampton in a small dump called Totton. I've found it increasingly difficult to travel up to watch Rovers since i started a family. But once the finances allow and my boy is a bit older i will bring him up to Ewood to sample the proper live experience. Sadly i usually have to make do with the Fernhurst when i come up. Luckily for me we have usually won the match when i've made the journey up. So i get to sit covertly smug whilst the away fans drown their sorrows. Always a pleasure!

I don't know how these things work, but it would be really useful if this thread could be kept somewhere. I got offered two tickets on Saturday but couldn't go. They were posted to a colleague down here so they had to be collected in person. But if i had known some local posters details i might have been able to sort something out. If this is possible mods it might be worthwhile?

Uxbridge near Heathrow airport for me. Originally from Manchester then moved to Leyland as a kid before join the RAF at 16. Only 2 more years left then I'm back up north to season ticket heaven. My girlfriend is from Horsham and is now a blue and white so that's another one on the books.

Archived