BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ronnie Clayton

Manc Rover

• Backroom

Met Ronnie during my brief stint up north.... a total gentleman and his passion for Rovers shone through. With mercenaries now littering the football landscape, memories of true legends like Ronnie Clayton shine ever brighter. RIP.

Very sad news indeed.

Ronnie was a top class player with skill and grace and a fantastic ability to read the game. Along with my all time hero Duggie, he was what everything about Rovers meant to me. A one club man who reached the absolute pinnacle in his sport, captain of his beloved club and country at a time when it meant so much then. That was a time when there was no need to run around kissing the badge in a fake gesture of belonging.

Ronnie was a class act who could have played anywhere but chose to stay a Rover.

A true blue, a true gent and a truly humble man. Ronnie’s passing will be deeply felt by many at Ewood, but we should also remember the loss to his wife and family and friends.

RIP Ronnie Clayton and heartfelt thanks for being one of us.

Heart-broken. Lived near his shop in Darwen for years. Captain of England serving newspapers between training and never a cross word for anyone.

A truly great player for so many years.Would have had a hundred caps for England if he'd played down south. Clayton and Douglas---the heart and soul of Blackburn Rovers. We will never see the like of them again I fear.

Sincere condolences to his family.

Edited by 47er

Towards the end of his playing days, I often walked past his house and saw him sitting in his Mini on the driveway, sometimes for several hours. I have always wondered why. Was he thinking about his career coming to an end, or was he thinking about the decline of Rovers - by the late 60s of course Rovers had started their descent to the lower divisions. I guess I'll never know now. He sometimes used to come and watch his son playing in our kick-about footy matches - we asked him to join in, but of course he never did. What a hero.

Rest in peace Ronnie. I never had the pleasure of seeing you play unfortunatly(a bit before my time), but heard so much about you from fellow fans. The fact that you are mentioned when anyone talks of an all time greatest Rovers team speaks volumes.

A true legend and a great man. All my wishes go out to Ronnies family and friends.

Very sad news indeed.

Ronnie was a top class player with skill and grace and a fantastic ability to read the game. Along with my all time hero Duggie, he was what everything about Rovers meant to me. A one club man who reached the absolute pinnacle in his sport, captain of his beloved club and country at a time when it meant so much then. That was a time when there was no need to run around kissing the badge in a fake gesture of belonging.

Ronnie was a class act who could have played anywhere but chose to stay a Rover.

A true blue, a true gent and a truly humble man. Ronnie’s passing will be deeply felt by many at Ewood, but we should also remember the loss to his wife and family and friends.

RIP Ronnie Clayton and heartfelt thanks for being one of us.

Beautifully put.

RIP Ronnie. Never saw you play but my dad and my uncle never stopped talking about you and Duggie, and I remember your paper shop on Blackburn Road in Darwen.

Rovers fans, please get to the ground a bit earlier today to pay a proper tribute to Mr Blackburn Rovers.

I would certainly love rovers to name one of the stands after him.

Let's hope that the reports that our new owners are planning to have the Ground re-named are wrong; and that they take this excellent suggestion on board instead.