BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ronnie Clayton

Manc Rover

Told that the Blackburn combination games all held a minutes silence for Ronnie.

Bumped into Ronnie about two years ago in the JJB gym at Shad/Guide and what a nice bloke, asked him what went wrong in the 1960 final to which he replied, Dereck Dougan, because he'd declared himself fit when during the game it became very evident that he was'nt anywhere near fit enough and that Rovers were actually playing with only ten fit men. Then Dave Whelan broke his leg which just made the task of winning the final even harder than ever before.

Rest in peace Ronnie :brfc:

Is that Dougie waiting for the rebound?

Rebound or squared ball, yes it is.

It is. Odd thing is that the Lpool defence certainly weren't waiting for any rebound. They appear to be playing a rigid offside tactic just over the half way line. :rover:

Edited by thenodrog

Rebound or squared ball, yes it is.

It is. Odd thing is that the Lpool defence certainly weren't waiting for any rebound. They appear to be playing a rigid offside tactic just over the half way line. :rover:

Nah, Theno, they were that good they could get round defences without any problem, they knew the run, the timing and whether they were offside or not.

I think Matthews had the edge on Dougie with his pace, but Dougie could mesmerise defenders with his dribbling; the ball seemed to be tied to his feet. The only way he could be stopped was by a foul.

Nah, Theno, they were that good they could get round defences without any problem, they knew the run, the timing and whether they were offside or not.

I think Matthews had the edge on Dougie with his pace, but Dougie could mesmerise defenders with his dribbling; the ball seemed to be tied to his feet. The only way he could be stopped was by a foul.

Dougie was quicker than Matthews until that bugger from Leeds United 'did' him right in front of the tunnel at Ewood, took a full yard of pace out of his game!!

Dougie was quicker than Matthews until that bugger from Leeds United 'did' him right in front of the tunnel at Ewood, took a full yard of pace out of his game!!

Not sure about that, Kelbo.

Matthews was a bigger bloke, so that might have made him look (to me) faster.

having said that, I always felt that Dougie was a better footballer, even though he was in the shade of Matthews.

BTW, that's a cracking photo of Ronnie, isn't it.

BTW2, look at the Riverside, full, that wooden stand used to sound with everyone stamping their feet. The kids sitting over the wall, magic.

I'm trying to remember if I was at that game. I've vague recollections of being at a Rovers v LFC and winning 2-1.

BTW3, Theno, look how close the ref is to the play, about 12 yards at the most.

How did they get 51,000 on Ewood ?

I was at the Rovers v Man City cup replay in 1969 with 42,000 and it was frightening. Never forget the Riverside crowd swaying back and forth. How did the barriers hold firm ?

Duggie was a magician with the ball, trickier than Matthews. Both wonderful players.

Quality obituary in the Times today. Worth buying if you appreciate Ronnie Clayton.

Good piece. The LT's is good too.

Didn't realise he won the last of his 35 England caps at the age of 25 - he hadn't hit his peak then.

Those were the days though when England was producing one outstanding player after another.

Quotes from Dave Whelan today on Ronnie Clayton

1 SOCCER Wigan Nightlead

WHELAN CALLS ON KIDS TO KEEP IT REAL

By Ken Gaunt, Press Association Sport

Dave Whelan believes talented youngsters would be better off honing their craft in small town teams rather than wearing the colours of the elite.

The Wigan owner made his comments as he paid tribute to former Blackburn team-mate Ronnie Clayton, who died last week.A one-club man, Clayton made 665 appearances for Rovers and won 35 England caps.

Whelan would like to see more local lads playing for their local teams - but knows he needs to change the mentality of parents.He said: ``If any youngsters become available the dad wants to say, 'My son plays for Manchester United.'

``I keep trying to give advice that youngsters will do much better playing for Wigan, Bolton, Blackburn and Burnley because the openings there are much better.``When you go to Manchester United you are taking on the whole world. It is the same at Liverpool and Manchester City.

``All the people in and around Lancashire who want their youngsters to play for Liverpool and Manchester United should think twice.''

With manager Roberto Martinez at the helm, Whelan has promised he would not stand in a promising player's way if a top team came calling.

Whelan said: ``Roberto now wants youngsters and we have been signing youngsters. We bring them on , get them going and push them up.

``I will not stop those players going to the top six teams in the world or the Premier League. So, mums and dads, put your sons in clubs where they will get an opportunity.''

Whelan said Clayton would have graced any team on the planet and added: ``What would he have been worth today? The kind of player he was Ron would have been priceless.

``Ron could not stop running, he was up and down the pitch the whole game. What any team would give to have him in their midfield. He could play in the finest team in the world.''

Whelan suffered another devastating blow over the weekend with the death also of John Benson.

Benson carried out a variety of tasks at Wigan, including those of manager, assistant manager and general manager.Whelan said: ``John was a great fellow and got us success. He was a quiet man but very effective in his work.``He told me three weeks ago he had been diagnosed with cancer and I was shocked. It is awful to lose a pal like that.''end

How did they get 51,000 on Ewood ?

I was at the Rovers v Man City cup replay in 1969 with 42,000 and it was frightening. Never forget the Riverside crowd swaying back and forth. How did the barriers hold firm ?

Duggie was a magician with the ball, trickier than Matthews. Both wonderful players.

You must have been at Ewood with 52000 on Jim? Burnley 6th round replay 1960? And no "incidents"!

Good piece. The LT's is good too.

Didn't realise he won the last of his 35 England caps at the age of 25 - he hadn't hit his peak then.

Those were the days though when England was producing one outstanding player after another.

Those were the days when the southern-based media crucified him Jim. All in his autobiography. Should have got 100 caps.

You must have been at Ewood with 52000 on Jim? Burnley 6th round replay 1960? And no "incidents"!

Those were the days when the southern-based media crucified him Jim. All in his autobiography. Should have got 100 caps.

Am I one of the few who think he should have been in the team rather than Nobby?

I have just read the LT report about Ronnie. I was lucky enough to meet him a few times because I played for Wilpshire, and one of my best memories of my time playing for wilpshire (there werent many - we lost almost every game...) was the award evenings when I got to shake his hand and wear one of his england caps! I picked the Brazil one :) I knew almost nothing about his football career, but I remember thinking that he would have been a great grandfather.

Am I one of the few who think he should have been in the team rather than Nobby?

Clayton was slowing down by that point and Stiles played a different game. The big surprise was that Dougie didn't play a big role in that World Cup. He was just about the best player in the country at that time whereas Martin Peters was almost unknown.

To be fair to Ramsey he did win the World Cup though!

The big surprise was that Dougie didn't play a big role in that World Cup.

Stand to be corrected but Duggie was out of the England picture well before 1966. Another Lancashire winger, John Connelly of Burnley and ManU, (and later Rovers) was in the 1966 squad and (I think) started the match against Uruguay but was then dropped. Ramsey famously didn't like wingers anyway.