BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ronnie Clayton

Manc Rover

Stand to be corrected but Duggie was out of the England picture well before 1966. Another Lancashire winger, John Connelly of Burnley and ManU, (and later Rovers) was in the 1966 squad and (I think) started the match against Uruguay but was then dropped. Ramsey famously didn't like wingers anyway.

Certainly true that Ramsey didn't like wingers but as all good Rovers supporters know, Douglas was not a winger by then. For some years he excelled (dominated) as an inside forward. However he was never allowed to play for England in his best position!

Its my recollection that Duggie featured in the lead-up matches to the World Cup but wasn't chosen for the tournament. However my memory is probably the same as your's!

Dougie was quicker than Matthews until that bugger from Leeds United 'did' him right in front of the tunnel at Ewood, took a full yard of pace out of his game!!

Small wonder Kelbo, according to Duggie himself that was a cruciate ligament injury in the days when they could do nothing about it.

Am I one of the few who think he should have been in the team rather than Nobby?

Probably. Ronnie by then was 30 or so and getting on a bit. Stiles wasn't special on the ball but he did a magnificent job of simply marking the opponents top players out of the game. For Styles think a dirtier, harder and more determined Robbie Savage..... and note I've highlighted Robbies strong points!

Edited by thenodrog

Ronnie and Bryan never had a chance of playing in the 1966 World Cup. It came at the end of our worst ever season when we were ignominiously relegated without much of a fight. Bryan had been injured most of that season anyway. It also did for the chances of Keith Newton who was in the provisional 26 but missed out when the squad was finalised to 22. He lost his place to Gerry Byrne of Liverpool who was a journeyman at best. Having said that Ray Wilson was probably the best left back in the world at that time and Alf had a soft spot for right back George Cohen (in spite of him being one of the worst crossers of a ball I've ever seen) so Keith would have probably only warmed the bench even if he had been picked.

People say Alf didn't like wingers but he picked 3 out of 19 outfield players for that World cup.

The only time I saw Douggie play in midfield under Alf was when he played for the English League against the Italian League, Bryan was bang in form for Rovers and absolutely ran the show, he was the man of the match for most observers. I think that was when Roma made enquiries about him. Next game though it was business as usual with Arsenal's George Eastham back in the team and Bryan out in the cold.

How did they get 51,000 on Ewood ?

I was at the Rovers v Man City cup replay in 1969 with 42,000 and it was frightening. Never forget the Riverside crowd swaying back and forth. How did the barriers hold firm ?

Duggie was a magician with the ball, trickier than Matthews. Both wonderful players.

I was there twice with 52000 crowds, both times in cup games against Burnley.One we lost the other we won.

However I was cosily ensconced in the Nuttall Street stand so no issues for me! :closedeyes:

Edited by 47er

Two quick replies to recent comments:

-my Grandma and Grandad were in the crowd of 62000 in 1929 versus Bolton - 'we could not get our hands down to eat our sandwiches' was my Grandma's comment

-no mention of Bryan Douglas and his England chances can miss out the words 'Johnny' and 'Haynes'. The London press always thought that Haynes was better than 'Dougie' but on his day(and there were many) the guy was like Messi and absolutely unstoppable. He also scored with his hand once in the Darwen End and he and Fergie(Mike Ferguson) played a trick on Fred Else in a League Cup match at a pen for rovers when Fred was in the Barrow goal(I think)

Not enough has been said about the effect of this untimely death on dear old Dougie....the two guys have been inseperable for 60 years, and probably have met up together 3 times a week sinsce they retired(now 40 years ago).We now have to preserve Dougie as well. I think the idea of the new gates is a brilliant idea....but a big facsimile of Ronnies diving header versus Liverpool on one big Ewood wall is more fitting than naming a stand after him.I also think that Big Colin Hendry should be brought into things more at Ewood, as another legend of the good and not so good times. Not enough is made of the Full Members Cup win on the long-suffering supporters of the 70s and 80s.Maybe a picture of a Dougie weaving run and the Big Yin's block at Everton away in 95 should also be enlarged on a big banner ...like at Man City.

I don't think clapping is respectful enough. Should have been total silence

Clapping is retarded and makes the crowd look like a bunch of trained seals. It's a cheap way of covering up a few idiots who might boo and heckle. A solemn, dignified silence is the true way to honour someone's death.

Clapping is retarded and makes the crowd look like a bunch of trained seals. It's a cheap way of covering up a few idiots who might boo and heckle. A solemn, dignified silence is the true way to honour someone's death.

Let off some party-poppers and wear some party hats and we'll all have a big clap.

Clapping would be totally inappropriate for memorial of death eg 9/11, but to celebrate the wonderful life and career of a great it does seem the right thing to do. especially if the family were consulted and showed a preference.

• Like 6

Clapping would be totally inappropriate for memorial of death eg 9/11, but to celebrate the wonderful life and career of a great it does seem the right thing to do. especially if the family were consulted and showed a preference.

Exactly. Everybody dies - it's not a tragic death, like in your example, or the minute's silence for Terry Newton at the Grand Final (though I have little sympathy for the man, his demise was tragic)

I think applause celebrating his life is more appropriate than a minute of silence, but each to their own.

I would in all fairness disagree, indeed many modern Theologists believe that it is not to mourn a death but to celebrate the life of the deceased, I am inclined to agree but that is a personal opinion.

• Like 1

How did they get 51,000 on Ewood ?

I was at the Rovers v Man City cup replay in 1969 with 42,000 and it was frightening. Never forget the Riverside crowd swaying back and forth. How did the barriers hold firm ?

Duggie was a magician with the ball, trickier than Matthews. Both wonderful players.

I was there that night and I've always wondered how many more could have squeezed on. It was ram jam full. However I may be wrong but I seem to think that the Blackburn End stand might not have been built in 58. Building that would prob have reduced capacity somewhat.

Ronnie and Bryan never had a chance of playing in the 1966 World Cup. It came at the end of our worst ever season when we were ignominiously relegated without much of a fight. Bryan had been injured most of that season anyway. It also did for the chances of Keith Newton who was in the provisional 26 but missed out when the squad was finalised to 22. He lost his place to Gerry Byrne of Liverpool who was a journeyman at best. Having said that Ray Wilson was probably the best left back in the world at that time and Alf had a soft spot for right back George Cohen (in spite of him being one of the worst crossers of a ball I've ever seen) so Keith would have probably only warmed the bench even if he had been picked.

Daft decision if I can say that about a manager who won the World Cup. Alf may not have known it at the time but Keith Newton was equally good at either left or right back. A utility man like that is very valuable cover for any squad as it would allow managers to name another type of attacking player. Must bear in mind here that subs were only allowed if players were injured and were not allowed for tactical reasons.

I was there that night and I've always wondered how many more could have squeezed on. It was ram jam full. However I may be wrong but I seem to think that the Blackburn End stand might not have been built in 58. Building that would prob have reduced capacity somewhat.

You might want to check what you wrote about the Blackburn End stand.

The roof went on the stand after the 1960 cup run, from what I remember.