BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Phil Jones

47er

1 hour ago, DE. said:

United's inability to decide what position he should play turned him into the new John O'Shea when he should have been so much more. Jones' positional sense is atrocious, although how much of that is down to coaching and how much of that is down to his natural intelligence on the pitch I don't know. Injuries have obviously played their part in his development stalling as well. You can see from the way he runs he isn't a 'natural' athlete and his body has subsequently suffered from playing at the top level from a very young age. He's not the first or last it'll happen to.

If he was released this summer I could see a top six side still picking him up, but I don't think he'd necessarily be a first team choice.  

Inaccurate.

He's playing v world class every week, he's a wonderful player. And he is an athlete, you don't get where he is without being athletic. Short memory.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom
13 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Inaccurate.

He's playing v world class every week, he's a wonderful player. And he is an athlete, you don't get where he is without being athletic. Short memory.

There's a difference between being athletic and having a naturally athletic body. I think in your haste to discredit me you haven't read what I wrote closely enough.   

I think we also have a different view of world class as I wouldn't consider most PL players on that level but that might be semantics. Hard to tell without your thoughts being a bit more fleshed out.

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

Inaccurate.

He's an athlete when fit just didn't become a great defender to go with it. Which is a shame.

1 hour ago, OnePhilT said:

Let's at least give him a chance first.

FFS.

Anyway, back to Phil Jones. I remember him clattering into John Terry at Ewood. Every club in the land wanted him. He chose Man U. He should have gone to Liverpool as he would have played every week and given a chance to develop. Man U stunted his growth, as have his injuries. Playing for Mourinho won't do him any good. He has a posse of central defenders at his disposal. 1 mistake and he ships them out to put another in. 

I read an interview with Vidic a month or so ago. He said that Ferguson's plan was for he and Ferdinand to groom Jones and Smalling. However Ferdinand's back went, and then Vidic's body gave up so nether of them played much, which unfortunately left the young lads to learn without an experienced head next to them.

23 hours ago, speeeeeeedie said:

I read an interview with Vidic a month or so ago. He said that Ferguson's plan was for he and Ferdinand to groom Jones and Smalling. However Ferdinand's back went, and then Vidic's body gave up.

Blimey, that was some grooming job!

Archived