SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Phil Jones

47er

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

Hopefully it comes to fruition, great for him and us if we do have to sell it's upped his value.

Most of all though it would be great to see a Rover's player represent England again.

Great news for the guy, his family, and of course Rovers. I do hope this isn't all too much, too soon for a 18 year-old who hasn't even played a full season of PL football.

Never let us hear anymore from our star players about needing to leave Rovers for their England careers. Whenever our players have performed week in, week out, they have been chosen for their country: Jansen, Dunn, Bentley, Warnock... and now Jones. Rovers is a true platform for a player to make a name for himself.

Absolutely brilliant. Who was the last 18 year old central defender to be called up to the England squad?

Micah Richards? Think he holds the record for youngest defender to have played for England, and has Jonesy beaten by a few months.

What do we all think Jones did for his chances of being picked in the final squad today? Terrible error to let Pavlyuchenko in, his first proper error that I can think of. Terrible timing for it, and I reckon probably a result of the England pressure- otherwise it is an enormous coincidence. Great tackle near the end though to stop a near-certain goal epitomised what he is all about though.

To be honest, since he hasn't been picked for the U-21s, I think Fabio has already decided to put him in the squad.

Great news for the lad

Can only assume it's part of Fabio's new policy (seeking some sort of retribution clearly) of given younger players experience, and in Phil Jones' case this surely means as an England centre back.

Capello picks Smalling over Jones

Smalling a guy who played 10 minutes up front for United today :unsure:

To be fair, he's played more minutes in defence this year than Jones.

I don't really see how Jones can be in the squad whilst he's playing midfield.

To be fair, he's played more minutes in defence this year than Jones.

I don't really see how Jones can be in the squad whilst he's playing midfield.

Er, because he's good enough?

By picking Smalling, once again Capello goes against his own policy of picking players playing, in form, for their clubs.

Let's hope Jonesy gets his head down and re-focusses on Rovers.

EDIT: so he was left out of the U-21's for WHAT exactly?? (Me ranting - not aimed at you Chuck!)

I honestly don't think he performances this year are good enough to warrant an international call up.

He's not an international quality midfielder and never will be. As soon as he starts playing centre back I reckon he'll be an England regular.

By picking Smalling, once again Capello goes against his own policy of picking players playing, in form, for their clubs.

Let's hope Jonesy gets his head down and re-focusses on Rovers.

EDIT: so he was left out of the U-21's for WHAT exactly?? (Me ranting - not aimed at you Chuck!)

as poor a looking england squad as ive ever seen........jones better off out of it potential shambles on the cards against france, not a squad to be associated with.

I honestly don't think he performances this year are good enough to warrant an international call up.

He's not an international quality midfielder and never will be. As soon as he starts playing centre back I reckon he'll be an England regular.

He's getting game time - in the PL - against PL players, e.g. Drogba, Rooney et al. Doesn't matter (for me) that he's currently playing a holding midfielder role. He's still defending.

He's been defending more than Chris Smalling has been this season - put it that way.

He's getting game time - in the PL - against PL players, e.g. Drogba, Rooney et al. Doesn't matter (for me) that he's currently playing a holding midfielder role. He's still defending.

He's been defending more than Chris Smalling has been this season - put it that way.

I wouldn't have Smalling either so I can't justify that, but I completely understand why Jones isn't in the squad.

• Backroom

Jay Bothroyd for England?? FFS :unsure:

Smalling?? :unsure:

Jordan Henderson?? :unsure:

Bothroyd fully deserves his place given the current injuries etc, he's on fire at the minute so why not give him a shot?

The other two I agree with though.

I don't think Jones is quite ready yet though either as good as he's been for us but certainly offers more than Smalling.

There is time for Phil, not too fussed.

Yes he has plenty of time - and like LeChuck says, he really needs to be playing centre half so that proper judgements can be made.

Having said that, if Smalling were at rovers and jones at Man U, we all know who would have made the squad.

Archived