BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Phil Jones

47er

think it says it all why

phil jones of blackburn rovers who has started 15 games this season

and chris smalling who doesnt even start for manchester united is in the england squad - one plays for man utd and the other blackburn :/ ...this is why i have no interest in england whatsoever - they pick players based on playing for a big club ie man utd, chelsea, arsenal and man city ..martin albrighton from aston villa probably should of been there aswell (thats if he is english) ...

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surprised that he didn't get the call-up, he's been every present this season so a lack of game time really isn't an issue. Hard to have a non biased view but I genuinely believes Jones looks twice the player of Smalling and yet he gets in? LeChuck may have a point in regards to Jones has been playing midfield pretty much all of the season so far (an area that England have plenty of players). However it’s obvious he is a central defender and his performances for the under-21's which have been very impressive recently have been at the back.

I get the impression from the various interviews he has done that he has a pretty level head and will not be too disheartened at not being picked. However longer term it could be an issue if he isn't selected because of his makeshift midfield role.

Smailing has made the step up to Man Utd though. Much more pressure of his shoulders than Jones who is playing for his home town club.

I think he would do a good job at centre back but he isn't playing there enough to be called up in my opinion either.

His time will come

Smailing has made the step up to Man Utd though. Much more pressure of his shoulders than Jones who is playing for his home town club.

I think he would do a good job at centre back but he isn't playing there enough to be called up in my opinion either.

His time will come

No doubt Smalling will have faced pressure but Jones has had a lot of pressure himself. Put into the the team at 17 years old and in his first game he faced Anelka and Drogba. Ever present in the Rovers side this season and putting in decent performances at 18 years old, 2 years younger than Smalling.

Smalling has played what, two league games this season?

I guess what annoys me most is this whole talk from managers in particular England managers who say they will only pick those who are in decent form and those that have been playing week in week out. Well this selection just goes completely against that. It's not the only one by the looks of it; Agbonlahor for example has played his first game for five weeks.

As Rovers fans the last thing we should wish for is that our players get picked for England.

Sod the prestige and our pride in one of our boys done good, all it eventually leads to is them having their heads turned and eventually leaving as was the case with Bentley and Warnock. As far as I'm concerned I want Jones playing week in week out in a rovers shirt and not swanning off for a meaningless half arsed friendly and coming back either half fit or with his head swimming with what he could earn elsewhere.

As Rovers fans the last thing we should wish for is that our players get picked for England.

Sod the prestige and our pride in one of our boys done good, all it eventually leads to is them having their heads turned and eventually leaving as was the case with Bentley and Warnock. As far as I'm concerned I want Jones playing week in week out in a rovers shirt and not swanning off for a meaningless half arsed friendly and coming back either half fit or with his head swimming with what he could earn elsewhere.

The problem with that is, if he didn't get picked for England when he was clearly good enough, then that would become a motive to leave in itself. And plenty of people would be telling him so.

The problem with that is, if he didn't get picked for England when he was clearly good enough, then that would become a motive to leave in itself. And plenty of people would be telling him so.

Maybe 47er but if he's any good he'll be off anyway (be it that the club needs the money or the player wants out to fulfil his ambitions) so the way to prolong that inevitability is to stay under the radar. Let's face it, we all knew Warnock was the 2nd best English full back 2 years before his call up, as soon as the call came he was off quicker than sh!t off a shovel.

Maybe 47er but if he's any good he'll be off anyway (be it that the club needs the money or the player wants out to fulfil his ambitions) so the way to prolong that inevitability is to stay under the radar. Let's face it, we all knew Warnock was the 2nd best English full back 2 years before his call up, as soon as the call came he was off quicker than sh!t off a shovel.

Maybe so but Jones must be reflecting that if he were at Manure now and Smalling was at Rovers, it would be Jones in the squad.

Maybe so but Jones must be reflecting that if he were at Manure now and Smalling was at Rovers, it would be Jones in the squad.

Or maybe he's taking advantage of the oppurtunity to think about, and concentrate on, the Villa game.

Rubbish.

It is a source of immense pride for our club.

Bentley and Warnock would have left either way but their England caps meant we could command a higher fee than what we could do previously.

People decry the sales of the likes of RSC, Bentley and Warnock but it's arguably whats kept us afloat these last few years.

Rubbish.

It is a source of immense pride for our club.

Bentley and Warnock would have left either way but their England caps meant we could command a higher fee than what we could do previously.

People decry the sales of the likes of RSC, Bentley and Warnock but it's arguably whats kept us afloat these last few years.

Sod the pride I want Jones in our side for years to come, if he gets in the England set up he will be off in a minimum of 6 months after the call up.

If he's a regular for the next 3 or 4 years and we're still in the Prem we'll sell anyway but at least it will be on our terms.

Sod the pride I want Jones in our side for years to come, if he gets in the England set up he will be off in a minimum of 6 months after the call up.

If he's a regular for the next 3 or 4 years and we're still in the Prem we'll sell anyway but at least it will be on our terms.

So you think if Bentley and Warnock hadn't made the England squad they would've stayed for 3-4 years?

Warnock was sold on our terms anyway but we arguably got a higher transfer fee because of the England cap.

Bentley would have left very soon anyway - people were sitting up and taking notice of his performances and he had already got a pretty big head.

Both however, were older when they left than Jones is now. They were arguably at the stage where a big club interest had to lead to a transfer. They were doing very well here and if they'd turned the chance down, who knows if it would have come again. Jones is able here just to concentrate on his football. There's not the same kind of pressures and temptations to sidetrack him. If he continues to develop, the caps will come and the big money move will happen and, unless he gets an horrendous injury, his value will rise for a few years yet. Players don't spend their entire lives at one club much nowadays, but it won't harm him to have another couple here.

As I've said many times it's the England curse. The England set up is a nest of vipers. The only benefit to the club of our players turning out for England is that it raises their transfer value.

Great minds....... A comparison that I posted on the WBA thread. Robinson has regained his confidence under Sam.

I just wish that Capello had not selected him to go to the England training camp which has preoven to be a nest of vipers for BRFC in the past

Tell Brooking to druck off and tell the FA and the press and media the same and explain precisely why...... All the England set up at any level has ever done for BRFC is inject dissatisafaction into our players and turn em into wantaway wannabees.

I bet it's a right old nest of vipers with agents elbowing each other aside to fill young players heads will all manner of false promises.

Nest of vipers that England set up.

Somebody really should be calling an exterminator to deal with this persistent viper problem that the England setup has!

The less time Jones spends with the England squad the better. Not being in the England squad equals no unnecessary injuries, no extra exposition for clubs to come and take him away from Rovers and no tapping up from players like Terry, Gerrard, Ferdinand a.s.o about how great life is in the top four.

I know what you mean LD, but the club no doubt welcome and encourage our players being selected for their country, particularly England. It does bring a certain amount of pride and prestige to the club - and it does encourage others to come here.

Somebody really should be calling an exterminator to deal with this persistent viper problem that the England setup has!

Good research Bellamy. My opinion of the England set up is certainly consistent. But all the same it's nice to see that you and so many others take so much notice of my every word. :tu:

Here you'd better find me an alternative. http://users.tinyonline.co.uk/gswithenbank/collnoun.htm

Surely Jones is nowhere near an England call up is he? He hasn't even played in his best position since May. In my opinion he should be moved back to centre back where he can develop his skills and stop being played out of position every week. It might be that BFS thinks he isn't ready to play at centre-back yet which doesn't bode well for his international chances. Great prospect though, I would just like to see him playing where he is best.

Archived