BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Phil Jones

47er

Surely Jones is nowhere near an England call up is he? He hasn't even played in his best position since May. In my opinion he should be moved back to centre back where he can develop his skills and stop being played out of position every week. It might be that BFS thinks he isn't ready to play at centre-back yet which doesn't bode well for his international chances. Great prospect though, I would just like to see him playing where he is best.

Surely he's somewhere near or he wouldn't have been named in the original 30?

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe Thenodrog you could mix it up a bit-use the terms Bag Of Boas, Gang Of Adders, or Posse Of Rattlers etc.

A 'knob of toads' has a ring to it ozzie. :)

I was thinking more of a traditional "hornet's nest"

Hornets nest? Possibly, but Bucky you're very clever..... so where the hell does a 'bike of hornets' originate on that list?

I can't understand why someone would feel happy for a Rovers player being called up to the English team. Once upon a time it might have been an honor, but times have changed dramatically. First of all, you know that the only thing that has ever brought us is bad news. The only thing it means is that player is one step closer out of Ewood. Second of all, the current English team is managed by a man who has clearly lost his mind and has an obsession with Emile Heskey and nonsensical tactics. The players representing the team aren't much better either - Gerrard, everyone from Chelsea and Man City (maybe Hart is an ok individual), Rooney...it's basically a collection of mercenaries and/or cheaters. Stay away.

I'm sorry for the lad he's not been called up but personally I'm not bothered. As I remember one David Bentley was quite happy here until he hit the England squad. Clearly some of the "regulars" bent his ear about playing for us.

David Bentley said he was happy here but he was always the personality type that would have sought a bigger club sooner rather than later.

Being called up for England is symptomatic of being English and having your career go in an upward trajectory, however it is that upward trajectory that will get the big clubs to bid for you, not being picked for England.

I may be a Rovers fan first but I'm also an England fan and I would love to see one of our own trot out in an England shirt again.

I suggested yesterday that imo Phil Jones will be sold in January and although I cannot find a link it appeared in his column in last nights LT that Jason Wilcox has been charged with preparing the fans for him leaving in January too. Reading Jason's weekly tome I'd imagine Jones already has his bags packed. :angry:

I suggested yesterday that imo Phil Jones will be sold in January and although I cannot find a link it appeared in his column in last nights LT that Jason Wilcox has been charged with preparing the fans for him leaving in January too. Reading Jason's weekly tome I'd imagine Jones already has his bags packed. :angry:

Phil Jones looked very poor against Tottenham, and against Liverpool, so how any big club could think hes their answer would plain stupidity of the highest order on behalf of whichever manager decided to make that punt.

Phil Jones looked very poor against Tottenham, and against Liverpool, so how any big club could think hes their answer would plain stupidity of the highest order on behalf of whichever manager decided to make that punt.

Long term he could be the answer to anyone after a central defender. Short term he would be a versatile player who could easily slot in when needed, even for one of the big clubs. How many MoM's so far?

True, but then he was excellent against Chelsea, Man City and Arsenal. So he can mix it with the best - it is a case of being more consistent. Even the best players get taken apart from time to time. I remember Terry being owned by Roberts and Ferdinand being utterly destroyed by Bentley.

True, but then he was excellent against Chelsea, Man City and Arsenal. So he can mix it with the best - it is a case of being more consistent. Even the best players get taken apart from time to time. I remember Terry being owned by Roberts and Ferdinand being utterly destroyed by Bentley.

And Jay McEveley shackling David Beckham at Old Trafford. Anyway I don't think Jones was awful against Tottenham. He made one serious mistake, but did fine apart from that. Especially the raking, goal-stopping tackle near the end. Playing out of position too.

No big club would want him as a mid-fielder, they'd want him as the future lynch-pin of their defence.

I do worry about it, but wasn't Rio treated in the same way when he was younger? Used in midfield to accommodate him?

He may have done but the way players develop and respond to the challenges in front of them will differ from player to player. Pretty sure Rio played in midfield against us and was truly awful, my memory is vague but was that the Bentley hat-trick game?

The midfield stint may help Jones, then again there is a chance it might not.

Archived