BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Phil Jones

47er

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The medial meniscus is a cartilege that separates the lower end of the femur ( thigh bone ) and upper part of the tibia ( larger lower leg bone ), it lies on the inner side of the knee. Its function is to act as a shock absorber and allows the 2 bones to move easily and smoothly - in osteoarthritis ( wear and tear ) the cartilege wears out and bone rubs on bone - ouch!

The cartilege is often damaged when a bent knee twists against a resistance - Jones is lucky as it can often be associated with an ACL tear - a much more significant injury. It depends where the damage was as to what surgery was needed - parts of the meniscus have a really poor blood supply and the damaged tissue needs to be chopped out, in other areas the damage can be repaired. Uncommonly in UK practice donor transplants or collagen inserts which will hopefully grow into new cartilege tissue can be put into the knee.

It is not a career threatening injury but in later life he is likely to develop wear and tear arthritis prematurely. All surgery is done using a keyhole telescope approach and the surgery is relatively simple. He will need intensive physio and careful reintroduction to exercise but the estimates of 3-4 months out seem very reasonable without knowing exactly what was done.

Hope this helps - lecture over !

The medial meniscus is a cartilege that separates the lower end of the femur ( thigh bone ) and upper part of the tibia ( larger lower leg bone ), it lies on the inner side of the knee. Its function is to act as a shock absorber and allows the 2 bones to move easily and smoothly - in osteoarthritis ( wear and tear ) the cartilege wears out and bone rubs on bone - ouch!

The cartilege is often damaged when a bent knee twists against a resistance - Jones is lucky as it can often be associated with an ACL tear - a much more significant injury. It depends where the damage was as to what surgery was needed - parts of the meniscus have a really poor blood supply and the damaged tissue needs to be chopped out, in other areas the damage can be repaired. Uncommonly in UK practice donor transplants or collagen inserts which will hopefully grow into new cartilege tissue can be put into the knee.

It is not a career threatening injury but in later life he is likely to develop wear and tear arthritis prematurely. All surgery is done using a keyhole telescope approach and the surgery is relatively simple. He will need intensive physio and careful reintroduction to exercise but the estimates of 3-4 months out seem very reasonable without knowing exactly what was done.

Hope this helps - lecture over !

Fairly minor point (unless you happen to be the surgeon involved) but it was the lateral meniscus.

For Jones read Samba now.

Samba supposedly wanting to leave for a year may not be the most surprising thing, but he kept it quiet, was professional and one of our most committed players if not the MOST.

Now the club have come out and OFFICIALLY spilled the beans. Notice in his interview he never said he wanted to leave but rather if things progressed the way they had been.

Now Kean has said he can leave at the right price and has been wanting to for a year, etc... Could've been dealt with better to fall into the line with "we are NOT selling" and retain a higher asking price, which hopefully would never be met.

• 7 years later...
1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

He's not improved in any way since he left Ewood. He's still making silly mistakes. I don't like how he's drawn to the ball instead of staying with his man.

Yes you'd think he'd have had that side of it ironed out of him by now especially with the great coaches, managers and players he's had there. He's not much different to the Axe in some respects and he's been damn lucky to carve out a career still at United.  

Staying at Rovers would have suited him better in football terms imo or he should have been a mainstay at a team like Stoke or someone else of limited means. I don't know how much injuries have hampered him but the rashness is in his head, should never be anywhere near an England side.

It’s strange how some fans don’t see a top player when they see one. A lot of Rovers fans didn’t see his abilities when he came into our first team, but virtually every top six side at the time wanted him. Some of our fans weren’t even convinced he’d make it at PL level. He was -IMO - awesome in his first and only season as an 18 year old with us. United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, spurs all wanted him which kind of shows the difference. 145 appearances and 24 England caps later, despite a terrible handicap with injuries shows he definitely wouldn’t have been better off staying here or going to some club like Stoke! And he’s still only 26 years old.

yes he makes mistakes, all defenders do, but those picking on those mistakes as evidence that he’s almost useless are so far wide of the mark it’s untrue. He is and was way too good for us. He’s a regular at a top club and when fit, walks into their side.

Just now, den said:

It’s strange how some fans don’t see a top player when they see one. A lot of Rovers fans didn’t see his abilities when he came into our first team, but virtually every top six side at the time wanted him. Some of our fans weren’t even convinced he’d make it at PL level. He was -IMO - awesome in his first and only season as an 18 year old with us. United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, spurs all wanted him which kind of shows the difference. 145 appearances and 24 England caps later, despite a terrible handicap with injuries shows he definitely wouldn’t have been better off staying here or going to some club like Stoke! And he’s still only 26 years old.

yes he makes mistakes, all defenders do, but those picking on those mistakes as evidence that he’s almost useless are so far wide of the mark it’s untrue. He is and was way too good for us. He’s a regular at a top club and when fit, walks into their side.

Sort of agree Den, but a) he looks very unlikely to get into a very mediocre England starting xi  b) my guess is Man Utd will be signing new central defenders in the summer.

No doubt he's a good player but I think it's a hard push to say he has reached his potential. Thought he was superb for us, but as others have said he's not improved as he has aged as you would expect. 

Strange one is Jones. Looked awesome at 18 but never reached his potential. A good defender but never became a great one. Looks very ponderous at times. Utd will certainly be looking to replace him very soon if they are serious about  bridging the  gap and he  won't get a move to another top 5 side as he's not consistent enough. He'd fit right in at Arsenal though which speaks volumes.

Such a shame. The defensive equivalent to Jack Wilshire. 

He hasn't kicked on at all since leaving Rovers imo. Shearer nailed it with his half time analysis yesterday, he doesn't read the game well enough therefore a lot of his defending is last ditch and I dare say that contributes to him getting so many injuries as well.

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

He hasn't kicked on at all since leaving Rovers imo. Shearer nailed it with his half time analysis yesterday, he doesn't read the game well enough therefore a lot of his defending is last ditch and I dare say that contributes to him getting so many injuries as well.

Especially facial muscles ?

I think it's fair to say Jones has not developed into the player he promised to be when he was a precocious 18-year-old. Injuries and the subsequent lack of playing time have stunted his development, though at 26 he still has time to improve . He could yet reach the heights he promised 8 years ago, but he needs to stay clear of injury and be a first choice player from now on 

Didn't realise he was still only 26 although I can't see him ever changing much now and of course he's too good for us in our present scenario but had we remained as we were under Allardyce for a while longer I don't think he was too good for us at all, probably just about right.

He is a Premier league player no doubt and perhaps saying carthorse was a bit harsh although it was tongue in cheek, workhorse is probably a better description. Still feel he isn't a top level operator and is fortunate to have stayed where he is. Can't ever doubt his commitment and work rate though so I suppose that's why managers like him.

An England player ?  No thanks but you can say that about a good few of them these days.

I remember chatting to Ronnie Clayton on the stadium tour. He was talking about young players coming through at the club. He was great friends with the late Duncan Edwards and was to be his best man when Edwards was due to get married after the 1958 World Cup.

He said that he thought Jones was going to be the new Duncan Edwards. 

8 hours ago, den said:

I thought he made all the difference to stopping up on his return from injury that season Sam was potted

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I remember chatting to Ronnie Clayton on the stadium tour. He was talking about young players coming through at the club. He was great friends with the late Duncan Edwards and was to be his best man when Edwards was due to get married after the 1958 World Cup.

He said that he thought Jones was going to be the new Duncan Edwards. 

He had some games in midfield for England a few years ago and looked very comfortable. 

• Backroom

United's inability to decide what position he should play turned him into the new John O'Shea when he should have been so much more. Jones' positional sense is atrocious, although how much of that is down to coaching and how much of that is down to his natural intelligence on the pitch I don't know. Injuries have obviously played their part in his development stalling as well. You can see from the way he runs he isn't a 'natural' athlete and his body has subsequently suffered from playing at the top level from a very young age. He's not the first or last it'll happen to.

If he was released this summer I could see a top six side still picking him up, but I don't think he'd necessarily be a first team choice.  

Archived