BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Rovers vs. QPR

Amo

I don't know and I don't care if Kean does better than Sam. Nicko who claims to be in the know says Kentaro actually wanted Sam to stay.

Mrs. Desai was in charge for a while before Sam was sacked. She would soon notice for example if he took a lot of time off in the wake of last year's health scare, or delegated a lot of responsibility. Which you couldn't blame him for.

What you put in your last paragraph is not only potentially incorrect but potentially libellous. It could equally be nothing more sinister than new owners coming in and wanting a change in direction and a different style of play from the team.

I am only stating what a lot of people within the game and journalists/media have been discussing (best to say no more) - if that is the case, not only does it leave a sour taste in the mouth, but you worry at any future decisions which could be taken (that is my main concern).

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hoilett's "breakthrough" and the arrival of Kean are just a coincidence because the player is so talented it was bound to happen sooner or later.

It makes me laugh those crediting Kean with Hoilett's form yet brush over Sam Allardyce's part in bringing through the likes of Olsson and Jones.

Hoilett's "breakthrough" and the arrival of Kean are just a coincidence because the player is so talented it was bound to happen sooner or later.

It makes me laugh those crediting Kean with Hoilett's form yet brush over Sam Allardyce's part in bringing through the likes of Olsson and Jones.

Sam did well with Jones and Olsson.

Hoilett not so much

You go to games Bucky? He's been improving all season - no?

I would say that he had regressed until the last two games and I think many would agree. 5mins here, 10 mins there, he wasn't really given a chance. Sam probably identified him as a luxury player.

Full credit to the new regime. I don't think he would have stuck around under the last one.

1] Hoillet rarely if ever started a game under Sam's preferred system so it's unlikely he'd even have been on the pitch the last two games to put in those sort of performances.

2] And he 's certainly never put in performances like the last two before then.

3] I also saw Hoillet several times for the reserves last season and he didn't particularly impress even at that level. So something or someone has got him fired up all of a sudden.

Blimey Rev, getting any kind of balanced post from you is impossible nowadays. You didn't used to be like this, did you? :)

1] Unlikely he'd have been on the pitch! - and how would you know that? Jeez.

2] No-one said he had, so why say that? He's been improving all season because he's got talent.

3] Last season he wasn't impressive in the reserves! So you're basically saying he's done nothing until Steve Kean took over.

I know you weren't posting earlier in the season, but were you watching?

I would say that he had regressed until the last two games and I think many would agree.

Regressed - I think you would be wrong.

Yet we can't apply that logic to Olsson & Jones?

Guardian Match Report

Apparently the QPR fans didn't think it was a bad tackle in any way. In fact, they accuse a Rovers fan of "lying" when they even suggest it.

The caption of the photograph in the article says

Blackburn Rovers' goalscorer Junior Hoilett (L) challenges Queens Park Rangers' Gary Borrowdale during their FA Cup soccer match at Ewood Park.

Hoilett challenges Gary Borrowdale? What the dickens? Borrowdale is all over Junior with a hand on his throat.

Of course no-one says anything about the tackle. They are too busy trying to bad-mouth Diouf. Diouf is no saint, but he isn't a bad man. The QPR players were busy trying to wind him up all through the match. So, are the QPR fans saying it was a bad tackle from Givet? I don't think that it was.

I guess on the subject of Steve Kean and the impact on the last couple of games for Hoillet divides opinions.

There are those who if we won 9-0 would still slate Kean because of a fixed opinion and those who are reserving judgement. My comment was not intended to provoke a strong reaction, just an observation that the change of tactics may have enabled him to be more creative. The talent has been there for a while but it has only really shone in the last couple of games. That includes not going to ground as quick as he had in previous appearances.

On that basis you have to give some credit to Kean for modifying the style of play or maybe you wouldn't credit him for anything because you made your mind up the day he took over?

Personally I'm pleased we won two games with all the goals coming from open play, that is a change.

I do not deride Sam's style, it was effective but there are other ways to play football and Kean seems to be adopting a different style. Big test against Chelsea to come.

I think you can't read anything into the attendance - cup attendances are always pretty low until about the 6th round for us and normally sub 10k against teams not in the PL.

We only had 18,000 on for the cup semi final last year!

According to "The Observer" today, 21 out of 26 home teams in yesterday's FA Cupties had attendances lower than their League average for this season.

Our drop was 2nd-largest after Sunderland's, another area doubtless badly affected by the Age of Austerity. And they had not terrifically attractive opposition.

I guess on the subject of Steve Kean and the impact on the last couple of games for Hoillet divides opinions.

There are those who if we won 9-0 would still slate Kean because of a fixed opinion and those who are reserving judgement. My comment was not intended to provoke a strong reaction, just an observation that the change of tactics may have enabled him to be more creative. The talent has been there for a while but it has only really shone in the last couple of games. That includes not going to ground as quick as he had in previous appearances.

On that basis you have to give some credit to Kean for modifying the style of play or maybe you wouldn't credit him for anything because you made your mind up the day he took over?

Personally I'm pleased we won two games with all the goals coming from open play, that is a change.

I do not deride Sam's style, it was effective but there are other ways to play football and Kean seems to be adopting a different style. Big test against Chelsea to come.

I don't know who you're referring to Roversider, but I'll assume you meant me. If you didn't then I apologise. :)

I said in my first post that Kean deserves some credit for the performances of Hoilett over the last two games and I think that's clear enough. I do have a difference with people who reckon that Allardyce did nothing for the lad, nor is it any kind of progression from Hoilett himself - and it's all down to Keen.

There are those who if we won 9-0 would still slate Kean because of a fixed opinion and those who are reserving judgement.

If you're looking for fixed positions, look no further than Rev and Bucky.

You can see the Mackie/Givet clash Here

Watched it a few times and it's hard to tell exactly what happened but it looks to me that Mackie gets there first, but goes over the top of the ball and takes out Givet before he can get to the ball (hence the path of the ball doesn't change).

You can see the Mackie/Givet clash Here

Watched it a few times and it's hard to tell exactly what happened but it looks to me that Mackie gets there first, but goes over the top of the ball and takes out Givet before he can get to the ball (hence the path of the ball doesn't change).

That clip confirmed my initial impression. Givet went for the ball in a correct fashion.

THe QPR player went in completely recklessly.

How is it 'inspired' decision making by people that had never met the fella or watched a game of football?

SEM, now they obviously put the idea in Venky's mind and they obviously believe in their client, I will too when we are safe this season.

Despite football being different in many ways from other businesses, there are still many skills you need to run a successful business of any kind and it could be that our new owners, used to hiring and firing in their other businesses saw some things they really thought could be used in their football business, because that's what it is, make no mistake. Some people rise to opportunities and some go under under the pressure. I think it's time to get over the sacking of Allardyce, the questions as to why Kean got the job etc and get behind the manager and the team. It was good to hear some fans yesterday singing "Steve Kean's Blue and White Army" It's taken a while but I hope to hear it many times between now and the end of the season. Unless things go madly pear shaped for him, it would seem that he is to be our manager for the foreseeable future, I think he's handling things well on the pitch and as well as can be expected in the press, where he can hardly tell his bosses to shut up but did so in the most polite manner possible the other day. I, however he got the job and for whatever reasons, WANT him to succeed because any success he has is also success for my club and that's my priority. I put up with the dire stuff we often played under Allardyce for the same reasons - while it was working I wasn't necessarily happy with it, but I was with the results in the main. But I wanted him to succeed too because his success was Rovers success.

Despite football being different in many ways from other businesses, there are still many skills you need to run a successful business of any kind and it could be that our new owners, used to hiring and firing in their other businesses saw some things they really thought could be used in their football business, because that's what it is, make no mistake.

Football has FAR too many differences to general business for any comparisons to be relevant.

Every person who has ever bought a PL club has been successful in business. Doesn't change the fact theres been more bad owners lately than good ones.

As a side issue I reckon QPR will cause a mini riot if they get promoted and approach games like that in the Premiership. Tackles flying in at breakneck speed, elbows flying about all over the place and players jumping in at opponents rather than the ball. Extremely unpleasant.

If this is true, I can't see them lasting in the PL. The eyes of the world are not on the Championship. PL refs will stamp that behavior right out, the second it looks like a PL name player might be at risk due to a team's [alleged] tactics.

Absolutely not. Not even if he wins every game etween now and the end of the season. Because he's a Kentaro client. And a yes man. And a puppet for Venky's.

I'll make a deal with you. If Kean wins every game between now and the end of the season, I'll accept him despite the allegations that he is a Kentaro client, a yes man, and Venkys' puppet. :tu:

Seriously, if Kean finishes top 10, I'm still in his corner. B)

If he doesn't and we are mid-table, I'll hold my fire (despite thinking Sam would have done better). If we are in a relegation fight, however, I intend to spew venom.

That clip confirmed my initial impression. Givet went for the ball in a correct fashion.

THe QPR player went in completely recklessly.

I think the fact that the damage to Givet's leg is arounf the Knee area, is enough evidence to suggest it was a reckless challenge from Mackie. He's gone flying in there at pace, and just gone completely over the ball. Not saying for one minute it was his intention to hurt Givet, but going into challenges like that at that paceis asking for trouble.

As for Warnock, words fail me about him. I'm sure most people have and will take any comments he has made with a pinch of salt, given his track record. I dont think they guy has many allies within the game, he's a disgrace.

Warnock is a disgrace. He is more odious that Diouf ever has been. He really needs to learn to keep his mouth shut. I do feel sorry for his player though, he went in too hard and too fast and paid the price but it's not nice. Givet could have been seriously injured so Diouf was well within his rights to stand up for a teammate. Get well soon Mackie but don't hold it against Diouf because, if it had been the other way around, I bet your teammates would have done EXACTLY the same as Diouf.

I don't know who you're referring to Roversider, but I'll assume you meant me. If you didn't then I apologise. :)

I said in my first post that Kean deserves some credit for the performances of Hoilett over the last two games and I think that's clear enough. I do have a difference with people who reckon that Allardyce did nothing for the lad, nor is it any kind of progression from Hoilett himself - and it's all down to Keen.

I was considering others than you Den when I responded, I agree about Sam, he persuaded him to stay at the Rovers and if nothing else that was a valuable contribution! I just feel that he was playing with a bit more freedom than he had previously.

No issues with differing opinions, just with closed, very closed minds ........

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere.. But what was with the absence of Olsson for the game? Nicko said absences were significant.. Hoping he wasn't dropped for this reason.. Which I doubt obviously based on his recent performances.

Left wing sorted in my opinion.. I'll be very disappointed if that's where we choose to improve in this window. Give the lad his chance.

Eh? What are you talking about? I conceded I thought you were right "up to a point" as you did yourself about the other post!

Why are you being so abrasive with people whose opinion differs from your own?

Archived