BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Jermaine Jones

BBC

1749: Meanwhile, Blackburn Rovers manager Steve Kean confirmed they are close to signing Schalke's United States international midfielder Jermaine Jones. "Hopefully we can push that through," Kean told BBC Sport after the 2-0 defeat against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge.

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He sounds like he's exactly what we need.

I also doubt he earns 60k per week. Schalke do pay a bit more than the average team in Germany (Bayern M paying the most), but no Sky Sports type big money TV deals make the Bundesligue the lowest paid of the big 4 leagues in Europe.

Quite sure the Bundesliga has the third highest revenue of any league in Europe.

A German friend of mine who is a top coach for the German FA told me that Jermaine Jones should be a great signing for Rovers. He is "a great fighter on the field and his strength is his fitness" "So long as the team accept him he's a great fighter for the team" "This is the other side of Jermaine: he is “stupid”. He always plays football close to a red card but I think in Britain they will love him."." Have fun with him. He will help the Rovers on the field."

Sounds good to me....

I realise this is not totally relevant to Jones, but we suddenly seem to be raising the level of wages we are paying if the bandied around figure is correct for Jones and if Roque is on around £90,000 per week.

Supporters of other clubs with new owners were delighted with the quality of their signings, but were very displeased when their clubs went belly up.

I believe that having new owners in India could really pay off but I am concerned by the apparent level of these earnings.Especially as we are led to believe there will be more sibnings.

Perhaps Venkys plans to "pay" the Rovers a large sum to sponsor the club, get their name across the club's shirt? This would allow for a higher age and would still allow them to stay budget neutral which I've read is necessary to qaulify for Europe in the next year or two.

. . . Jermaine Jones should be a great signing for Rovers. He is "a great fighter on the field and his strength is his fitness" "So long as the team accept him he's a great fighter for the team" "This is the other side of Jermaine: he is “stupid”. He always plays football close to a red card but I think in Britain they will love him."." Have fun with him. He will help the Rovers on the field."

Let's hope that Jones bonds with Nelsen, Robbo, Givet, the other JOnes, etc. We need a fierce, physical midfield presence.

I don't care how good or bad this lad is or how much he is going to be paid - if he can even play half as well as an injured Robbie Savage, he'll be a massive improvement on the joke of a centre midfield that we have at present.

I never want to see David Dunn start another game in his current condition - he can't bloody tackle and his far too slow to spray the ball about at the minute.

We were really awful in midfield yesterday and our possession and ball retention was really poor!

Perhaps Venkys plans to "pay" the Rovers a large sum to sponsor the club, get their name across the club's shirt? This would allow for a higher age and would still allow them to stay budget neutral which I've read is necessary to qaulify for Europe in the next year or two.

Let's hope that Jones bonds with Nelsen, Robbo, Givet, the other JOnes, etc. We need a fierce, physical midfield presence.

Agree on both points Steve, I'm sure the Indian's have done their research and have several plans to be budget neutral, PR they haven't done so well, but they can't be faulted on the pure business side, and that side of it is just business.

Let us hope Venky's bring in some income to cover the increased expenditure, rather than use debt to fund it.

Not all new owners have done this.

I wonder if it will be harder to discover what the owners have done as the Rovers is likely to become a company with no outside shareholders.

He sounds like he's exactly what we need.

I also doubt he earns 60k per week. Schalke do pay a bit more than the average team in Germany (Bayern M paying the most), but no Sky Sports type big money TV deals make the Bundesligue the lowest paid of the big 4 leagues in Europe.

Errmh, Schalke's turnover is twice as much as ours. If we pay the likes of MGP £40k (or less if you ask Hughesy) or Zurab £28k, what do you think they, a regular CL-side, pay their starting lineup midfielders?

Wow, that's a pretty egotisitcal website right there, lol!

I'm pretty happy about getting this guy in, if what i've read about him seems to be the case. He has played at a decent standard for so long, i'd like to think he has something about him.

Also, considering we barely have a player in the team willing to stick the boot in, i'm expecting some proper reducers when he makes his debut.

Great. For a member of the pessimistic camp, I'm delighted of the both signings of the window. Hopefully they're worth their wages and they'll deliver the goods.

Yes I agree, certainly the kind of quality we need, not a Keef type from lower leagues, here we have established players and in two areas where we needed them, another couple of players and we may be able to kick on.

Hurrah we have a proper midfielder now for the first time in over three years, let's hope he can do the business and not collect too many cards in the process.

The 29-year-old arrives from Bundesliga side Schalke 04 on a six-month loan deal until the end of the 2010-11 season.

Note only a loan though...

Fair do's if he is cack we can send him back (rapping a bit there), but I am getting a sneaky feeling we aren't actually going to "sign" anybody as in actually purchasing someone this window.

Make of that what you may.

So we have finally made a signing which aims to fix our problem that our previous 2 managers have failed to do anything with…..Thank God!

I hope this man is the answer we have been looking for since as far back as Batty/ Sherwood….apparently a box to box type midfielder with a good pass on him & a strong tackler….all of a sudden we are beginning to sound a much stronger unit.

Welcome to the Rovers mate...own that midfield!

Archived