BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

I had liked Rugby League for years but never been to a game. Quite often watched it on tv but then, in 1994, we got a new manager at work who was a Wigan fan. I went along with him to watch a game versus Featherstone (I think) and the connection was made. Wigan were my team.

A few years went by before I decided to go more regularly. That was in the 2000 season, taking in a few away games as well as going to most at home. The next decade was pretty poor by Wigan's standards and a cup final win against Saints didn't really compensate for not landing the big one. I was at Old Trafford for three Grand Finals and three losses.

Patience is a virtue, as they say, and I'm looking forward to going to a few more games than normal this season. Went to the World Club Challenge a week or so ago, which was a superb game, and have tickets for the Hull FC game (with Mrs & Miss CLB) on Sunday.

A fantastic game played by great athletes. Plenty of respect for the referee, plenty of honesty from the players and, generally, fan friendly. There's a lot of action packed into 80 minutes. It's a great day out.

Should be an exciting season for Wigan. The WCC was a really good game, but just couldn't get that try at the end. Really awesome to have nearly 24,000 home fans in the DW too.

Also liking the fact that Leeds have lost twice already this season :D

• Like 1

I've been following Rochdale Hornets since 1966, I've seen us beat every team in that time, Wigan, Saints, Leeds we've beaten them all. I used to go home and away but now it's just the home games. It's a great game, most Rugby League players have more honesty and integrity in their little fingers than a lot of our so called super stars. I saw a great game last Sunday, Hornets v Workington, we were 20-4 down at half time but came back to win 22-20, it almost made up for the Fulham game. Having said that when both teams lose it really ruins your weekend.

I'm a season ticket holder at Wigan, have been for years. Every year I get increasingly less interested in football and more interested in RL as a whole. I've taken quite a few to their first games and they've loved it and quite amazed at how hard the game is played. What most don't realise is how hard the players actually work and the hours they put in a day and then most do vocational training in readiness for a job after retirement (many Wigan players are highly qualified).

This season will be difficult for me, we now have twins that have just come home after three months on a neonatal unit so our hands are incredibly full! I will get too as many home games as possibly but I fear that wont be many :rolleyes:

I'm a season ticket holder at Wigan, have been for years. Every year I get increasingly less interested in football and more interested in RL as a whole. I've taken quite a few to their first games and they've loved it and quite amazed at how hard the game is played. What most don't realise is how hard the players actually work and the hours they put in a day and then most do vocational training in readiness for a job after retirement (many Wigan players are highly qualified).

This season will be difficult for me, we now have twins that have just come home after three months on a neonatal unit so our hands are incredibly full! I will get too as many home games as possibly but I fear that wont be many :rolleyes:

I've started going to the Huddersfield Giants this season and although I've only been once this season- I'm loving it. Don't know too much about the game, but as the Mrs is from Wigan, its kind of in her blood. Oh and £90 for my season ticket is a bargain!

Well an interesting round of games this weekend. Cas unbeaten still and Saints getting beat at "home" again (shame!).

Just got back from Wigan who were pretty lucky for the win but I'll take it! Thought they were poor in the 1st half, especially the kicking game which was well off. Bit better in 2nd half, but then made it difficult for themselves when Joel Tomkins went and got sent off. I didn't see the original incident that caused the first fight, but Tomkins was stupid to go in again straight after.

Strangely though, Wigan looked better with the 12 men and got a try to level it, then a penalty.

Yeaman threw the first punch in the fight and JT returned with some decent shots. The sensible thing to do would have been giving both 10 mins and cooling the game but that's not Gansons style. I knew it wouldn't end well when JT asked Sam for the ball from the penalty. It was stupid but Yeaman deserved it after some of the shots he put on Sam. Saying that Lockers or the props should have taken the ball and left JT out of a few tackles. Other than that a poor game very badly reffed. Wigan need some faces back and a decent centre to replace Gleeson.

• 4 weeks later...

Couldn't be bothered going last night so gave my ST to a young lass who is just getting into the game, not sure she'll want it again! Hearing tons of stuff coming out of the club, none of it good unfortunately, will Madge be here next year?

• 2 weeks later...

Union is much better :P

Unizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, sorry dozed off just thing about it. Only decent thing about Union is that I was good and it didn't hurt half as much as League which ruined my legs.

Cracking game, always delighted to see the Stains go home in a sulk.

Never been to a RL game, but wouldn`t mind trying one out. Very nearly went to a Saints game about 4yrs ago, but it never materialised.

The nearest i came to seeing a game, was at the old Central park in Wigan. We were on a night out at a club (which was in one of the stands) at Central park. There was a game on at the time & we snook a peek at it. Central Park always looked pretty awesome to me with that big terrace behind the goal (or whatever it`s called?) ;)

Does Blackburn have a RL team of any kind? :huh: I`ve never heard of one.

There was the Blackburn Knights (originally Accrington RL) that played at Blackburn RU, they played in the NW Counties. I doubt they're still going as interest was non-existent in Blackburn though I might be wrong. Go down the road to Accrington and you'll find quite a few decent amateur clubs and there's a thriving junior game in the area - I wouldn't be surprised to see a few in the Wigan set-up before too long.

Go to a game, it's eye-opening, try to get near the pitch for your first game and experience the intensity of the game, it'll make you laugh when you watch football after that! It's cheap to get on the DW and tickets are available for most games.

I used to play and follow Union, still follow it Internationally, but I was introduced to League back in the mid 1980's with a trip to the grand final at Old Trafford with a friend. (He came from Wigan but supported St Helens... brave lad.

As it happens, St Helens ground at Knowsley Road was only a few minutes drive from where I lived at the time and I started to go a bit. Really enjoyed it, and the fact that I could stand up throughout the game and give it one with the vocal encouragement made it more enjoyable.

It is a game I really do enjoy when I can get to see it. I suppose I am a Saints supporter really as it is the team I went to see.

Another thumping win for the Wire yesterday (0 - 60). At one point in the match there was a full-on brawl, actual punches thrown and it was staggering how quickly it was broken up, the players then moved into their packs and not a single player attempted to get a member of the opposition punished. The ref' in turn helped himself by dealing with any offender and not bottling it like any Premier League ref' would on one of the many occasions they are disrespected by Rooney et al.

Salford's Willows stadium is a real throw-back by the way, it'll be good for them when their new ground by the Trafford Centre is finished, but it was very enjoyable on the terraces in the sunshine yesterday. Same can be said for Knowsley Road!

Further to Koi's comments, anyone who is contemplating going to a RL game, get down and prepare for an eye-opening experience if you stand/sit at pitchside. High-impact, high-intensity and high-power!

The final try yesterday was right in front of me, which was cool!! Brilliant end to end game, two excellent teams really. But you cannot get any better than a last minute winner vs Saints :D Really glad that Richard's is back - the lack of a kicker hasn't been good for us, and he is a big threat down on the wing.

Great atmosphere too, this is from before kick off in the home end. Looks pretty cool, although the woman in the bottom was the worst flag waver ever!

5646137152_3c2b65a61b.jpg

Cletus - if you do go, one thing you may find a little odd is that away fans are free to sit anywhere they want and are often in the home fans without any bother.

I've tried but I can't whip up much enthusiasm for either code of egg chasing. Too much stop and start. Strange though that I do like American Football and that is more stop and start than ever. No explanation.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Relived a bit of my youth by going to the Racecourse Ground a few weeks ago to see Wigan beat Crusaders. Last time I was on there must have been a good 37 or 38 years ago! Changed a bit with a nice new(ish) stand down one side - fairly small, but stylish. Great day out in the sunshine, supping a lager or two whilst watching the game. Great following from Wigan with close on 3k away fans.

I'm struggling to get to the games at the moment, tonights is touch and go but I think I've squared it!

Something fishy going on at Wolves - Paul Woods, a squad player at best, has just signed a £94k p/a contract (Mrs Woods has been telling all), that's incredible, how much are the main players on? I do know that a new rule is coming in or may even be live now which allows certain players to be taken off the cap but it is strict. I think the only player at Wigan who will come off the cap is Lockers so I can't see who Wolves have got in the Lockers category?

Got to say I'm really really looking forward to Gaz coming back, the guy looks an animal and ready to kill! No way would I like to be the first person in when he takes that ball up for the first time, I'd just step to one side and let him through! Saying that, saw big Stu the other day, he is looking in better shape than ever, again I wont get in his way!

Edited by koi