BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Great win for Wigan last night and a superb send off for Shaun Wane, our departing Head Coach who is heading over to the ‘dark side’ and a coaching role with Scotland. It was a really tough game with both defences on top but Wigan having the edge on creativity and doing just enough to win it. Also leaving now are John Bateman and Ryan Sutton, both have signed on for Canberra in the NRL together with Sam Tomkins who is heading for Catalan Dragons. Special mention for Shaun Wane who has had his detractors over the last couple of seasons for a ‘less exciting’ brand of football. I have never wavered in my support of him and our trophy cabinet speaks volumes. Three Championships, one Challenge Cup, one League Leaders Shield and one World Club Challenge (winners) under his seven year tutelage. Legend.

• 9 months later...
  • Backroom

Messy end to the Catalan Warrington match tonight.  

3 or 4 players sent from field of play after the 80th min hooter.

Bit of a mini riot in the stands as Wire fans clambered up hoarding to fight.

All very football. Unlike the rugby fans.

Tomkins has been suspended for three games and McIlorum for two after their part in the end of game rumpus. Both were also fined £500.

Haven’t really seen any proper footage of the crowd trouble although it does surface from time to time, sometimes at Challenge Cup Semi Finals, Grand Finals or one or two other high profile games where supporters have been on the lash all day. On the Warrington RL Fans forum, they seem to be blaming a mix of both sets of fans in corporate above and behind the Wire supporters with objects having been thrown around. That’s only one side of the story though. An investigation is currently underway and no doubt hefty fines for both clubs will follow. It’s definitely not wanted in Rugby League.

• 1 year later...
7 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

I’m not a rugby fan at all, but I came across this video again at the weekend and thought I’d share. ‘I can’t speak’. Brilliant.

https://youtu.be/U2cmMUrwRKs

Yeah it's hilarious, just tell us what you really think about the ref Mick. Skerrett, who went in with the swinging arm, got his jaw broken by a similar " tackle " in a subsequent game against Cas.

Not rugby league at all but there doesn't seem to be an easy to find rugby union thread and I have to say it somewhere. Huge congratulations to Sale Sharks on winning the Premiership Cup last night. Bit like us winning the Worthington Cup. Its not the biggest competition but its a trophy. De Klerks  try was worth watching for on its own.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gumboots said:

Not rugby league at all but there doesn't seem to be an easy to find rugby union thread and I have to say it somewhere. Huge congratulations to Sale Sharks on winning the Premiership Cup last night. Bit like us winning the Worthington Cup. Its not the biggest competition but its a trophy. De Klerks  try was worth watching for on its own.

Tell you what gumboots they made heavy weather of it!

Looked for a while like they’d lose out, they had little continuity to the play, but they came through in the end as Harlequins tired :tu:

We were all but conceding we'd lost it at the hour mark. It was very hard to watch and the ref wasn't great. Seemed to miss a lot and not consistent which was lucky for Sharks as, having given away all those penalties, some of which were doubtful and could have gone either way, at the crucial stage of the game they suddenly got the benefit of every 50/50. That Will Evans penalty seemed to knock the stuffing out of Quins. Big shout to Rob du Preez who had a disaster in the earlier league match against Quins with his poor kicking, but stepped up and put in a flawless performance last night. Just wish we could have been at the AJ Bell to enjoy it with the team.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

One of the great Rugby League Finals today. Just a shame it was behind closed doors. Anybody that needs cheering up after todays Rovers no show I can recommend it. Most of the guys out there expended more energy in 5 minutes that our lot did in a full 90 according to my son.

I missed the League final, gutted really, but I did manage to catch some of the European Cup final Exeter Chiefs v Racing 92 - Superb game from what I saw. You watch football and see the modern footballer rolling around on the floor when the strong wind blows, these lads are 100% every game and tough as old boots, puts thing into perspective for me. 

As for Rovers, we've had a tremendous start to the season and an excellent window, lets hope it pays dividends. 

21 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

One of the great Rugby League Finals today. Just a shame it was behind closed doors. Anybody that needs cheering up after todays Rovers no show I can recommend it. Most of the guys out there expended more energy in 5 minutes that our lot did in a full 90 according to my son.

That was a great game,wanted Salford to win,when it's a Lancs v Yorks scenario i always pull for the team on the west of the pennines.I know Salford is classed as Greater Manchester but when it comes to sports they're still in Lancashire for me.

• 1 month later...

Just watched the NZ vrs Argentina game which the All Blacks won at a canter after losing to them a few weeks ago.

The highlight for me was actually before the game started,  the All Blacks lined up for the Haka and Sam Cane walked forward, placed an All Black shirt with 10 Maradona on the centre spot, absolute class.

The Grand Final, last night, was one of the best Rugby League games I have ever seen. An absolute arm wrestle of a match. Saints won 8-4 with a freakish try right on 80 minutes. They had enjoyed the better of the possession and territory but Wigan’s defence was immense. When Wigan edged ahead 4-2 with 10 mins left, that could have been it but more drama was to come. St Helens levelled it to 4-4 with a harsh penalty for an alleged high tackle and then Wigan were awarded a penalty of their own with 2 mins remaining. They opted to try for the two points on offer instead of going for field position and going for the drop goal, which would have undoubtedly won the game. Zak missed, Saints came upfield, went for their own drop goal. They also missed but the ball bounced back off one of the posts, down into the field of play then spun wildly, taking it into the in goal area, where one of theirs touched the ball down to win the game. You couldn’t have written it.

The tackling during the game was brutal and both teams must take credit for their defence and stamina. It’s not very often that low scoring games have you on the edge of your seat. To put (association) footballers to shame with their play acting and cheating feigning injury, Wigan’s centre Oliver Gildart tweeted a photo of himself with Joe Burgess, saying between them they had a broken finger and a broken jaw. Wigan’s Jackson Hastings took studs in the face, leaving him cuts to his forehead, eyebrow and cheek, two of which looked like they could have done with stitches. St Helens’ James Graham took a tackle early on that could have damaged one or more ribs (when that lad stays down, you know he’s hurt) and their Walmsley somehow managed to finish the game, despite being severely injured. All the aforementioned carried on playing, without even the hint of a whinge towards either the ref or their own bench. Most of these lads are on about £75k per YEAR or less.

A big shout out to two legends of the game who retired after the match, Warriors’ Sean O’Loughlin and Saints’ James Graham. It’s been a pleasure to watch you both.

What an advert for the game. If no one can get interested in Rugby League after that, then there’s no chance. I am deeply disappointed but there’s always next season. We go again.

• Like 3

That's a great post CLB, it sums up perfectly what Rugby League is all about.  Possibly before your time but I remember the great Alex Murphy doing the same thing, hitting the post with a shot at goal but following up to score a try, on more than one occasion.

One of the most titanic games I ever saw ended 7-2

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

Union not league, but I'm at the AJBell tonight for Sale v Bristol. Transport laid on from Trafford Centre. Cost £1 return. Free drink outside. Free bottle of water to take in. Names of those who are members  or who donated remainder of last season's ST listed on the cardboard Clapper things they were giving out. Great to be back along with about 3k others.

Edited by gumboots

3 minutes ago, gumboots said:

Union not league, but I'm at the AJBell tonight for Sale v Bristol. Transport laid on from Trafford Centre. Cost £1 return. Free drink outside. Free bottle of water to take in. Names of those who are members  or who donated remainder of last season's ST listed on the cardboard Clapper things they were giving out. Great to be back along with about 3k others.

0-0 at half time gumboots!

You don't often see that.

12 hours ago, gumboots said:

It was a cracker. Sale's defence was immense then in the second half they scored 3 tries to win 22-12. Great night!!!!!

Yes, I read the full match report in today’s Guardian. It sounds like De Klerk’s understudy made the difference when he came on. “ Defence wins games “. You’ll be getting hooked on rugby if you’re not careful. I played football exclusively when I was younger but after watching one game of League I was hooked for life. It’s just more exciting and honest than modern football.

The half time score reminds me of a game I took a new girl friend to. It was a Friday night match against our deadly rivals Oldham. It was a cold and foggy Friday night and the game was a borefest. Same score at half time, 0-0. The girl was in my ear right from the off, “ I’m cold, my feet are hurting, I can’t see, I’m bored “.

So at half time I gave  in and we went to the nearest pub for a beer. After an hour my chums came bursting in all excited, laughing and joking. I said “ What was final score “ ? 
They said ” 24-0 to Hornets “ !

I think that was the beginning of the end for our new relationship.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

I've always liked Rugby Union. Used to watch 6 Nations back in the 5 Nations days and Kim always went to Twickenham when we were first married through connections with Taunton Rugby Club. We've been going to Sale for more than  10 years now, but on a casual basis at first. We've got more and more hooked by it as Rovers have deteriorated. Not the team, but the ownership and management.

While Rovers have lost connection with the fans, Sale have done all they can to engage with theirs. Their liaison over ticket sales for last night's match was brilliant and any delay in communications was immediately apologised for and rectified. The owner was there meeting fans etc before the match. The non playing players are around before matches, serving in the club shop, posing for pics with kids etc. After the match they'll pose for pics, chat to fans etc. The buses they run from various places to help solve the parking problems at the ground are generally free (last night they cost £1 each. Something to do with numbers we think). There was free hand sanitiser, a free drink, those cardboard clapper things given to everyone before the match. The clapper things had names of all who'd bought a membership this year or donated the remainder of last year's season ticket money to the club. There was a free bottle of water on entry for all fans because they were not allowed to sell drinks on the concourses of standing areas for social distancing reasons. All very small things but makes you feel valued. 

And this is a Premiership Club. Not a small time outfit. The owners care, and, when they needed a new manager, they went and got someone widely respected in rugby, although he'd never been a DOR before and this was a new situation for him. He had coached Saracens and been a big part of their management team and had played for Sale. He's immediately connected with fans and is so enthusiastic he can barely keep still in interviews. Fans already love him and he's the wow factor in a club with Faf de Klerk playing for them. Its not lemon drizzle for Alex; it's Malbec Sundays, a phrase fans have taken on. 

I used to think nothing would destroy the way I feel about Rovers, but this lot have come very close to it and Sharks are more captivating in just about every way. Means I can still love Rovers but get my fix of live sport and feel valued for it. 

2 hours ago, gumboots said:

I've always liked Rugby Union. Used to watch 6 Nations back in the 5 Nations days and Kim always went to Twickenham when we were first married through connections with Taunton Rugby Club. We've been going to Sale for more than  10 years now, but on a casual basis at first. We've got more and more hooked by it as Rovers have deteriorated. Not the team, but the ownership and management.

While Rovers have lost connection with the fans, Sale have done all they can to engage with theirs. Their liaison over ticket sales for last night's match was brilliant and any delay in communications was immediately apologised for and rectified. The owner was there meeting fans etc before the match. The non playing players are around before matches, serving in the club shop, posing for pics with kids etc. After the match they'll pose for pics, chat to fans etc. The buses they run from various places to help solve the parking problems at the ground are generally free (last night they cost £1 each. Something to do with numbers we think). There was free hand sanitiser, a free drink, those cardboard clapper things given to everyone before the match. The clapper things had names of all who'd bought a membership this year or donated the remainder of last year's season ticket money to the club. There was a free bottle of water on entry for all fans because they were not allowed to sell drinks on the concourses of standing areas for social distancing reasons. All very small things but makes you feel valued. 

And this is a Premiership Club. Not a small time outfit. The owners care, and, when they needed a new manager, they went and got someone widely respected in rugby, although he'd never been a DOR before and this was a new situation for him. He had coached Saracens and been a big part of their management team and had played for Sale. He's immediately connected with fans and is so enthusiastic he can barely keep still in interviews. Fans already love him and he's the wow factor in a club with Faf de Klerk playing for them. Its not lemon drizzle for Alex; it's Malbec Sundays, a phrase fans have taken on. 

I used to think nothing would destroy the way I feel about Rovers, but this lot have come very close to it and Sharks are more captivating in just about every way. Means I can still love Rovers but get my fix of live sport and feel valued for it. 

Rugby Union has improved as a spectacle over the last 15 years or so. Previously it was pretty dull lots of the time with too much kicking and not enough running with the ball. We in League didn’t call it “ kick and clap” for nothing. Since it went pro the standard has gone up massively. Some times I see a bit of a game on the news and I can’t immediately tell if it’s league or union.

It sounds like we could do with a bit of advice on the commercial side from Sale.

You can still have two teams, I have Rovers and Hornets. I care deeply for both. It makes for a bad weekend if they both lose though.

• 1 month later...

Recording artist Sabrina Washington has just murdered ‘Abide with me’ and the national anthem, let’s hope the final is better than that.

Cant see past a St Helens win.

5 hours ago, Gav said:

Recording artist Sabrina Washington has just murdered ‘Abide with me’ and the national anthem, let’s hope the final is better than that.

Cant see past a St Helens win.

Thought the same! There seem to be quite a lot of singers who want to put 'their spin' on anthems or traditional songs when they should be sung not only with gusto but so the crowd can join in too.

• Like 1