BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] which is the best laptop to buy

Hi, I need to buy a laptop and I was wondering what is the best one to buy?

I use my laptop for internet and playing games on?

can anybody help me with this?

Processor wise I'd go for an Intel i3, i5 or i7, depending on budget.

Memory wise I'd make sure it had minimum 2Gb preferably 4Gb.

Depending on what games you play the graphics card comes next.

EDIT:

After a quick look these are ok

Medion - German - Very good spec

HP - Decent Spec - 8% off with Quidco

• 9 months later...

I shall be looking for a new laptop in the next few weeks. Uses are very simple; surfing,e-mail, photo storage and music storage for iTunes.

Anyone found some good deals or recommendations recently?

What's your budget Paul?

To be honest with those uses in mind, just go for something as cheap as possible. It sounds like hard drive space might be your main concern, depending on how many picture/music files you intend to keep on there.

I'd be a bit careful about using a laptop as a primary source of storage though, the sheer nature of their usage means that hard drives are more prone to breaking.

A better solution for less money could be a separate network hard drive (all computers on your network could access the contents of the hard drive, so your pictures/music could be used on all home computers) and a good netbook for browsing/emailing, as well as accessing the files on the new hard drive.

So...you could get 2 terrabytes (2000 gigabytes) of networked hard drive space for £129.99 and a netbook for £134 (Argos refurb with 12 months warranty) that would probably cost less than a suitable laptop, and perhaps be better suited to your needs; you would have a more portable machine for browsing and email, plus 2tb of storage space, accessible not only by the netbook but by every machine you own (I think I'm right in saying you can access the files from any machine connected to the internet with the fairly simple software provided).

If your budget is higher you could upgrade the networked hard drive to one which has automatic backup capabilities (it runs two hard drives alongside each other and mirrors them) and a better netbook, I just went for cheaper options to demonstrate the cost benefit.

There seems to be a shortage of laptop deals around this year, which is perhaps why there is a lack of responses.

If you can wait till Q3 or Q4 2012 you will get Windows 8 pre-loaded and the new laptops with Windows 8 will be pushing touch screens in some cases. Check out the Lenovo Yoga etc. from CES.

I'm really liking the new ultrabooks like the macbook air

No problem. I should have added networked hard drives are very simple to install, they just plug into your router like a computer would.

If you're still more keen on a laptop for a reasonable price, this seems the best deal <£400 at the moment: http://www.ebuyer.com/321355-asus-x53e-laptop-x53e-sx947v?utm_source=google&utm_medium=products It's over-specced for what you listed in the first post, but future proofing is never a bad idea.

Interesting. I had thought about Asus because I've had an Eeee since they first came out and it's a wonderful but of kit, though I guess must have been overtaken by others since then.

Interesting. I had thought about Asus because I've had an Eeee since they first came out and it's a wonderful but of kit, though I guess must have been overtaken by others since then.

Paul I have an Asus eee pc 900, it's 160gb, 2gb ram, it runs XP and is great for general stuff I.e surfing, email etc.

Only paid £160 on EBay. It's been very reliable.

I take it to Tenerife regularly and use a Vodafone dongle on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Think they're still top of the pile, I remembered reading this article a few months ago - Asus Eee Pad Transformer is Stuff's gadget of the year

I only noticed that laptop because it appears as the hottest deal of the day on HotUKDeals. It's the i5 processor that seems to make it such a good deal, not very often they appear in laptops as cheap as that one.

Probably worth adding you can upgrade the warranty from 1 year to 3 years for £17.27 - http://www.oyyy.co.uk/product.php/141710/asus-extended-laptop-2-year-warranty-3-years-in-total--?utm_source=affwin&utm_medium=aff&utm_campaign=General&awc=3136_1327272666_82c93b3b299c85185684b479d6474c61&jssCart=8bfc4ed40c07f804d365a872d03a495c

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought a new Dell XPS 15 and it's awesome.

The i7 is lightning quick and runs the few games I've got (Batman, Assassin's Creed II) with a Gallic shrug of the shoulders and a slight 'hmpf' from the fan.

Highly recommended as a desktop replacement (as it is also carrying a few extra Gallic pounds which makes it zero fun to lug around).

Archived