BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Part way through a pretty good tour at the moment:

Day One: Chorley, Glasson Dock, then followed the new Bay Cycleway to Ulverston

Day Two: brutal headwind all day so slow progress but made Ulvesrton, Barrow, Broughton, Eskdale, Sellafield to stay in Whitehaven

Day Three: Whitehaven to Annan along the coast and Solway Firth. Maryport is a lovely place. I'd hoped to stay there on night two but legs failed around 6.00pm in Whitehaven!!!!

Not sure about today as Annan is on the northernmost edge of my map..

As it happens I did some of the Bay Cycleway in reverse on Monday. I cycled from Cartmel to Lancaster via Morecambe before my body gave up - probably something to do with the 17 courses and 10 glasses of wine at L'Enclume the night before.

Did you go to the races as well? I went through Cartmel at 5.00pm just as people started to leave the race course up a one way single track road!!

Bedlam!

I was outside the Midland at 1.00pm, didn't seem the place for a sweaty cyclist to have lunch.

Finished my tour today by going Annan, Lochmaben, Lockerbie, Gretna, Carlisle, Penrith were I jumped on a train to Preston

What is the Bay route like, is there much off road? Are there many A roads on there?

Anyone done Way of the Roses? Just curious about how much traffic (cars) I might encounter.

I was outside the Midland at 1.00pm, didn't seem the place for a sweaty cyclist to have lunch.

Finished my tour today by going Annan, Lochmaben, Lockerbie, Gretna, Carlisle, Penrith were I jumped on a train to Preston

Well that didn't end well Paul...

Regarding TDF 2 major tests left, followed by the procession to Paris, Froome looks very strong although 3 minutes isnt a unassailable lead in the Alps. 1 bad day and all....

What is the Bay route like, is there much off road? Are there many A roads on there?

Anyone done Way of the Roses? Just curious about how much traffic (cars) I might encounter.

The Bay is a nice route with some spectacular views. No off road or A roads. The short section at Levens Hall is probably busy at weekends or peak holiday season. I found the section between Cartmel and Ulverston tough but it was at the end of a long day. I thought the inland section between Ulverston and Barrow uneccessary as the coast road is very quiet however the inland lanes are lovely to ride.

The Way of the Roses is a favourite for me as York and Yorkshire is an area I love to visit having lived in York for four years. It is a great route. The first day climbing away from Morecambe is tough. After that you have a combination of rolling flat across the Yorkshire plain and gentle hills through the Yorkshire Wolds which are beautiful.

Two tips. At Pateley Bridge there is a huge descent which suddenly turns a slight left hander straight in to the town. I guess it would be easy to hit 50mph down this. DON'T! It's a dangerous road, people have died on the descent.

Secondly I turned up in Bridlington and couldn't find any B&B so book ahead.

A great route, well signposted.

• Like 1

I was there at 1.30. I didn't go in on Monday but the cafe at one end of the Midland is perfectly fine for cyclists to use. Not a cheap option but good quality.

Froome has done the business and joins a select group of nine (now ten) riders to win two+ Tours. Heroic, and sad that the French can only spit at him and search for reasons to discredit him.

We're on the 6.10am Flybe flight to Paris tomorrow morning to celebrate a fantastic British sporting achievement. #AllezTeamSky #VaVaFroome

• Like 1

Froome has done the business and joins a select group of nine (now ten) riders to win two+ Tours. Heroic, and sad that the French can only spit at him and search for reasons to discredit him.

We're on the 6.10am Flybe flight to Paris tomorrow morning to celebrate a fantastic British sporting achievement. #AllezTeamSky #VaVaFroome

French media have some blame to take, but even then its not like the guy in second is french.

Its not as though Froome is miles better, Quintana lost the race in the first few days on the flat.

Finished my first bike tour of Korea yesterday. 450km in 4 days during the country's worst heatwave in decades. Sensibly we managed to do most of the miles in the morning and evening.

Thanks for the advice and encouragement from this thread. Already thinking about other tours I could do in the future (although my arse needs some time to recover). It's a long way to come but i would recommend a holiday here. Korea has spent a lot of money on its cycle paths. Some fantastic mountains and rivers to see.

Edited by ultrablue
  • Like 2

I'm actually coming to Seoul next March but sadly only to an airport hotel at Incheon in transit back from new Zealand to the UK (where I will be getting some cycling in).

Did the RideLondon again yesterday. Still haven't managed the full 100 mile circuit though as they had to close the top of Leith Hill as a rider had a heart attack and sadly died.

I completed the 96 miles i did in 6 hours 20 minutes, so a bit faster average speed than last year. With the better weather many more people than last year - I believe close to 26,000 in the end. It's wonderful to ride on closed roads for a day.

Visited Korea a few years ago...Kyongu.old capital,.Pusan and Cheju island.(think it was Englands Base camp during the world Cup).perfect for cycling on that island..Autumn colours and 1000s of honeymoon couples in colourful kimonos wandering round the parks on Cheju...Was Offered to join bulogi banquets as is The custom I believe ...Approached constantly by everyone wanting to practice their english..so found it a friendly place..In Soeul found most travellers were TEFL teaching english flitting between Korea and Japan if their visas expired...They were making good money doing it too..

Its a short cycle trip to Northern Ireland ,Sustrains Route 93 for me next .though..

Edited by JC4LAB

• 1 month later...

I couldn't go because of work commitments. About 20 friends from my club, Chorley Cycling Club, cycled over and saw the race from many locations. Everyone said it was an excellent day.

Some of the guys were on Sky - lime green (similar to Cannondale) and black shirts. Good to see Ian Bibby (Preston) doing well.

I watched them go round the double Hairpin bend opposite the Judge Walmsley / Billington Band club on the first circuit then caught them in the centre of Whalley in the afternoon. The pubs were doing very well, didn't get home till eight.

• 3 weeks later...

Nope never understood it. For example today we are heading over Waddy Fell. How can you head off there on appropriate gear? Relatively flat out to Waddy, big hill and then flying on the way home.

• Like 1

Thank You for your response Paul:

And then, on top of that, they cut, chop the handlebars up often. Some bikes like this, meaning fixed wheels, don't even have brakes (see picture below). To the uninitiated, if you have to pedal to make the bike move, then, technically, you don't need brakes. I've read up on it, some still say you should have brakes but I suppose that since you don't have a freewheel, you really don't need a brake.

It does make the bike simpler, for awhile, I'd have derailleur problems but that seems to be in the past, now, I enjoy the range of speeds.

To me, it has seemed like a "phenomenon" with youth mainly, they find some "classic" styled bike and then, strip it down, that in itself, I'm not a fan of. Or again, maybe it is for exercise, I tried it, it wasn't that big of a deal.

I usually ride a hybrid bike, comfortable and when I have to, at least for me, I can get a fairly good speed going if needed.

Which brings me to one more point, I have a light road bike but, I guess it's not really for me. Versus a lot of other cyclists, I enjoy having weight on the bike, I guess I'm not a real road bike cyclist or randonneur. I'm not into speed that much, I guess I will keep the lighter road bike around for emergencies.

The first bike has a front brake, the 2nd one, no brakes that I see. Some fixies make me wince a bit.

Maybe they are good in bad weather or something.

phpl1QXZAPM.jpg

windsor-the-hour-6983_5.jpg

Edited by Audax

Work in City centre Manchester and see lots.of "Fixed wheel nuts"as they are called.Used initially by bike couriers.who pedalhell for leather..less components to breakdown. one told me....You see bikecouriers in NewYork handing onto cars..Now a fitness fad..See lots of commuting in Manchester centre where its flat.....two spockets on some..you .turn the wheel round for easier gears

Brakeless cycles.as per the photo ...you see em at the Manchester velodrome....There s a taster session open to the public for £15 where they provide the bike and safety brief how to ride it ...Its exciting stuff..espec when you see how high it is..No brakes prevent you slowing down on those high steep bends which require a minumum speed.. if someone in is blocking.speed up instead and overtake on the outside..

Edited by JC4LAB

• 2 weeks later...

As I said in the other thread, Retro Bike was a forum I use to read regularly, classic lightweights as well: http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/

Those Hetchins back chainstays are wild, a lot of the old Peugeots, just old bikes from France, England and I'm sure it applies to Italy and Netherlands are very fine. And maybe economical too.

P1080288w.jpg

4230690667_3fe7f36c0b_z.jpg?zz=1

I'm loving riding my Raleigh right now; for various reasons, it sat idle for awhile. It's got that Reynolds 531 double-butted tubing and is now doing well.

At the same time, some of the old Classics of course, are far outside my budget but one can find some very nice ones for a low price.