BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Wrestling Entertainment - we know, you don't have to tell us!

Guest roverite1991

Are both not just a case of Americans ruining a perfectly good sport. ?

Spot on Ste. But both are still very entertaining (imo, at least).

more wierd having a hof for acting ,fixing and farce

They have lifetime acheivement award for actors why shouldnt wrestlers have similar honours?

I used to wrestle and was trained in the UK by Jake Roberts and yes of course wrestling is scripted but do the move hurt ? yes they do even if you land correctley you will still have bruises. I wrestled for 18 months and in that time tore my hamstring, broke my hand and injuried my elbow so badly it swelled to twice the size and also lost all feeling in my legs for approx 5 mins during a match and carried on because you are told too no matter what! . It is Dangerous

Edited by duffbear

I read an article which said that 14 of the 51 participants in Wrestlemania VII are now dead. Included in the list was Macho Man's ex-wife Elizabeth.

I have to defend American football somewhat. It really isn't a game for the faint hearted, despite all the pads. In fact that makes it worse.

• Backroom

No way Benoit should ever go into the HoF, Vince did the right thing by saying he'll never be mentioned again.

'The Wrestler' is a superb film for fans of the business especially but for anyone really.

Nice to see Wade Barrett doing well in WWE, Preston lad.

They have lifetime acheivement award for actors why shouldnt wrestlers have similar honours?

I used to wrestle and was trained in the UK by Jake Roberts and yes of course wrestling is scripted but do the move hurt ? yes they do even if you land correctley you will still have bruises. I wrestled for 18 months and in that time tore my hamstring, broke my hand and injuried my elbow so badly it swelled to twice the size and also lost all feeling in my legs for approx 5 mins during a match and carried on because you are told too no matter what! . It is Dangerous

18 months? Not even served an apprenticeship ;)..try 35 years lol..

Guest roverite1991

No way Benoit should ever go into the HoF, Vince did the right thing by saying he'll never be mentioned again.

'The Wrestler' is a superb film for fans of the business especially but for anyone really.

Nice to see Wade Barrett doing well in WWE, Preston lad.

2 of Britain's wrestling exports are from t'up Narth! Barrett from Preston and I believe Regal is from Blackpool. Be interesting to see if an 'era' storyline can be made of that (asuming Regal would be willing to have one last feud as an active wrestler).

I think my view on Benoit is perhaps clouded by the fact he (and Kurt Angle) got me into so-called 'mat wrestling' (as a spectator) after they put on a fantastic 'Ultimate Submission' match at Backlash 2001.

I never really got to see MachoMan wrestle (or many of the greats come to think of it). I was spoilt by being introduced at a time when Foley, Taker, HHH, SCSA and The Rock were at or just hitting their prime. Benoit, Guerrero, JBL, Angle, Jericho, Mysterio, HBK (2nd time round), Hogan (2nd time) and Lesnar came next. Now, there's just Cena and Orton at the top without a good mid-card.

Here's hoping Barrett, Cody Rhodes, Miz, Alex Riley, Sin Cara lead us into a new 'generation'.

• Backroom

Not quite dude although Regal likes to be billed from Blackpool due to him wrestling on the pleasure beach in his youth he is originally from Doncaster or Darlington (I forget which)

18 months? Not even served an apprenticeship ;)..try 35 years lol..

I would love to still be doing it now but stopped when Jake went back to the states.

Tried getting back into a couple of years ago but have back problems and would go training and every few weeks would pull my back out and have to take time off work and if I would have carried on I would probably have lost my job and not been able to wrestle anyway :(

reffed a couple of matches after but no longer have the same love for the business as WWE (still find it hard calling it that) is for want of a better word @#/? these days!

Guest roverite1991

Not quite dude although Regal likes to be billed from Blackpool due to him wrestling on the pleasure beach in his youth he is originally from Doncaster or Darlington (I forget which)

Cool, learn something new everyday! Still the good ole North though ;)

I would love to still be doing it now but stopped when Jake went back to the states.

Tried getting back into a couple of years ago but have back problems and would go training and every few weeks would pull my back out and have to take time off work and if I would have carried on I would probably have lost my job and not been able to wrestle anyway :(

reffed a couple of matches after but no longer have the same love for the business as WWE (still find it hard calling it that) is for want of a better word @#/? these days!

I was the same until the Rock's recent return. It's VERY SLOWLY getting better. Been torturing myself with various episodes of Raw (Edge's retirement was a great shame), but the most recent episode hit a relative high in recent times. In the sense that (for once) I can't wait to see the next episode. Some interesting developments coming about.

Once Vince gives full control to TripleH, I suspect the quality will go back up. No more (or fewer) PG-13 restrictions and hopefully more attitude.

In terms of wrestlers, the future IS there, it just needs to be given a REAL chance to shine. Miz, Sin Cara and Cody Rhodes are well under way, but there's still DelRio, Ted DiBiase, Swagger, Barrett, Sheamus, Justin Gabriel, Trent Barretta and a number of others who look to have the talent (and mic skills) to get standards back up. Old school guys like Taker, HHH, Big Show, Kane and CM Punk need to assist them in this. Jericho and Batista are rumoured to be returning fairly soon too.

It'll never be QUITE as good as the days of Rock, StoneCold, Taker, HHH, HBK, Benoit, Angle, Eddie, Jericho though.

Edited by roverite1991

Disgusting he was never inducted into the hall of fame whilst alive. I will never forget his matchup against the dragon. I so wish the rumour that he took Stephanie McMahons virginity is true. Whay a legend! Who can forget his rap against Hogan aswell. Be a man!!!

Edited by slough_rover

• Backroom

I have almost zero interest in WWE nowadays, but when Savage was wrestling - both in WWF and WCW - it was a great time to be watching wrestling.

Be a Man is a tune as well... 'hollywood hulkster, you're at the end of your rope, and i'm gonna kick you in the butt and wash your mouth out with soap' :lol:

• Backroom

Disgusting he was never inducted into the hall of fame whilst alive. I will never forget his matchup against the dragon. I so wish the rumour that he took Stephanie McMahons virginity is true. Whay a legend! Who can forget his rap against Hogan aswell. Be a man!!!

I'd rather those rumours weren't true as she was meant to be about 13 at the time!

I think i echo most of what's been said.

I stopped watching wrestling after the montreal screwjob.

Bret Hart was my hero back when i was 11/12.

I treid watching it again as my little lad watches it, But by christ it's awfull.

It seems no match is allowed to end in a straight clean pin.And you have to always see a wrestlers trademark move.

The entertainment has defenitly taken over the actual wrestling.

I remember when it was just about calling someone out, a couple of interferences and beat downs later you would get the payoff at a PPV

Hogan joining the NWO, Sgt Slaughter joining The Anti-Americans, Hogan body slamming Andre, Mega-Powers explode, Hogan handing The Ultimate Warrior the WC belt, Macho Man elbowing Ric Flair from the top rope......

and that was just the WWF!

Days of our lives roundabouts now, and it becomes tedious and time consuming.

• 1 year later...
  • Backroom

Could we make this a general wrestling thread?

Still remain shocked to learn of the death yesterday of William Moody (more commonly known as Paul Bearer or Percy Pringle). His character as a wrestling manager was fantastically cartoonish and his skill and charisma helped build 2 of the greatest 'big' wrestlers of the modern era: Kane and (more famously) The Undertaker.

Rest In Peace, Paul. The Hall of Fame beckons.....Ooooohhhhhh Yeeesssss!!!!

• Backroom

Bearer played a huge part in getting Kane and Taker where they are today when you consider how little either of them ever spoke in the early days

Meant to be a really nice guy as well, will be missed

I'm going to a PCW event on April 26th Kevin Steen is there along with the million dollar man Ted Dibiase making an appearance.

• Backroom

Heaven forbid

I don't take it seriously at all but yes I enjoy watching just like I enjoy watching game of thrones or many things on TV, fiction can be fun

• Backroom

Guys , you take Wrestling seriously ?

I find it entertaining. Before this turns into 'hur-hur its fake', we know that ;)

Ofc some of it is laughable in terms of the matches, but some of us invest in the characters in a similar way to Corrie or Eastenders.

And occasionally we see an incredible feat. It's the one place you can see the son of a billionaire leap 50ft onto a fat bloke with foam all around him.

Edited by darrenermike

• Backroom

Bearer played his role very well, and by all accounts he was a very nice guy. He was a big fella though and sadly this probably contributed to his early passing (I believe a blood clot is the official cause). He was supposedly very cut up over his wife dying fairly recently, so maybe it's merciful that he's with her now.

3 weeks ago, Jack Swagger got popped for marijuana, driving under the influence, maybe other charges like speeding.

zeb-colter-and-jack-swagger.jpg

Swagger in red, his manager, Zeb Colter.... read about this in the news, though I don't tune it in too much, I thought they looked kind of humourous.

Some wrestlers, sad a number have passed on but a number of them aren't bad for entertainment, I liked Brett the Hitman Hart, Jake the Snake was pretty cool too.

I use to not know much about Bruce Lee, just who he was. But now, if one sees a picture of a young Ricky Steamboat, to me they kind of look similar. http://www.profightdb.com/img/wrestlers/thumbs-600/13ad4b61eerickysteamboat.jpg I watched some movie on Bruce Lee the other day and have read a few articles on him. Bruce Lee was the man.

I think wrestling wasn't too bad, though still staged in the old days before the merger. Rick Flair, that old wrestling federation coming out of the South really wasn't too bad. I know I've seen people use Rick Flair's picture for their avatar.

But just my opinion.

I've heard people say Steroids aren't too bad for you, if you know what you are doing. I'm not going to judge that angle because I haven't or won't do them, don't know if they are natural ever in food like meat though. What I do think is these guys have used too much and may be using steroids and pain killers... maybe some recreational drugs too. A lethal combination, heck, even pain killers can be addicted, I'm told to even watch out how much ibuprofen one uses or to not use it at all.

Edited by Audax