BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Wrestling Entertainment - we know, you don't have to tell us!

• Backroom
On 4/4/2017 at 10:03 AM, Biddy said:

I've just watched it on the train into London and quite liked it. No wonder it's now stretched to a barmy 5 hours though. It takes them that long to walk down the ridiculously long ramp to the ring. Plus add on the extra 5 minutes it took Goldberg to actually get to the ring.

The Orton/Wyatt match was poor I agree. Wyatt was all over Orton suddenly RKO and he's down. Poor, poor.

It's actually 7 hours if you include the pre-show (which had three matches on it).

WM33 was the definition of safe booking. Some good stuff, but overall very predictable. The Hardy Boyz return was great, haven't heard a pop like that in a long time. The Raw after WM is now better than WM itself, imo. 

Speaking of which, Reigns had some seriously nuclear heat on Raw. The first fifteen minutes was just amazing :lol: and then Reigns cuts the best promo of his career in just five words. Haven't seen somebody get that much hate from a crowd since Cena at One Night Stand when he faced RVD. 

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Bloody hell, thought I'd take a look at this and there's names there I used to watch that have passed on recently and wasn't even aware of it.

I used to be into wrestling in a big way, back in the 90's and early 00's, Channel 4 and 5 would put on WCW and WWF as it was free to watch, but they eventually went off air to Sky television.   Impact wrestling is on one of the freeview channels now but I don't watch it.

Took me a while to realise it was all set-up and story-lined.   I honestly believed it was all random and better wrestlers win matches but this was at an earlier age so excuses can be made.    Once that illusion was shattered it was never really the same.

I go back to the days of Randy Savage, Hogan, Ultimate Warrior etc.     Now it's all names I don't really recognise and commercial sides and media have spoiled things considerably.     If the Undertaker is still going at it and making appearances then I'll know the company has gone too far and nostalgia and fan preference wins over common sense and reality.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • Backroom

I think you could make a pretty good case for either. I'd say Eddie was better at promos than AJ, which might push him marginally ahead. Both exceptional talents though. 

Eddie's best match (imo):

AJ's best (again imo):

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Give 'Em the Axe said:

Debate on my twitter feed about Eddie Guerrero and AJ Styles, as in who is better. Guerrero by a mile for me. My god he was amazing.

TNA/Impact AJ Styles was as good as anyone. Like with a lot of talent, he is kind of boring in the WWE machine. The one downside to Styles is that the styles clash is a ridiculous finisher. I am going to slam your feet into the ground!!! 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 2

According to TMZ, Jim Neidhart's wife Elizabeth (Ellie) Neidhart told investigators that Jim was having problems sleeping and got out of bed to adjust the theromostat.[24] Ellie then said that as Neidhart went to touch it, he turned "weirdly" as if he was "about to dance", then fell into the wall and ground.[24] She immediately dialed 911, believing he was having a seizure, something he was taking medication for. Neidhart had a four-inch gash on his face when EMTs arrived.[24] He died aged 63.[25] According to the Pasco County Sheriff's Office, the fall was his fatal cause of death.[2][26]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Neidhart

I almost thought I saw a book by Brett Hart in a book store one day. Maybe it even had a charitable angle to it.  That tag team was definitely entertaining.

Jim Niedhart rest in peace.

I guess some of these wrestlers have used a lot of painkillers.

Unrelated I think, but I always enjoyed Jimmy "Mouth of the South" Hart too. He was in a musical group, the Gentries, that had a hit in the 1960s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Hart

Edited by Audax

• Backroom

Ambrose returned to WWE this week and he's RIPPED! If his charisma is engineered into a more serious, dangerous lunatic character (rather than the gentle comedy one he was becoming) he could really hit the big time.

On 15/08/2018 at 00:03, Mike E said:

Ambrose returned to WWE this week and he's RIPPED! If his charisma is engineered into a more serious, dangerous lunatic character (rather than the gentle comedy one he was becoming) he could really hit the big time.

...and if he helps himself by not just accepting any old "creative" trash.

• Like 1

Or just flippy flopping around with no rhyme or reason. Guess it depends which styles you prefer. If it was "Lucha Underground" (thought that's where Mysterio is though I heard he might return to WWE so yet another reason not to watch) or somewhere in Mexico suppose it's as advertised.

Those of us of a certain vintage will remember ‘World Of Sport’ in the early-mid 80s, and it’s a reboot of that with a bit of WWE flair and glamour. Stu Bennett (AKA Wade Barrett) as commentator and authority figure, the odd appearance by Will Ospreay (when he’s not wrestling in Japan). The storylines and characters are old hat, but the in-ring action is a world away from the days of Big Daddy and Giant Haystacks.

People still report on wrestling in this country at times as if younger people think about WOS. Most people would think about WWE now. WOS wrestling (they used to show repeats on wrestling channel) was boring and as for Big Daddy think it says more about the British public that he was ever popular. People moaned about Hogan in the 80's but bloody hell it was nothing on Big Daddy's scale for awful athleticism. He was also related to one of the promoter's and Giant Haystacks never was allowed to beat him. Obviously he had some ability to engage with the crowd but once again what does that say about the British public? Thing about the 70's and 80's is a lot of the Tv (albeit not speaking from perspective at the actual time) was overrated and there was a lot of rubbish. More boring perhaps than lowest common denominator rubbish but boring = rubbish. Granted some subjects are just very serious (hence why they are boring) but it's not good Tv.

I didn't watch Summerslam but mostly read about the main event. 6 minutes is a bit too short for a PPV main event but of course many people didn't particularly want to see Reigns v Lesnar. Though the match itself (partly due to Stowman's involvement) sounds like they made it watchable. Lesnar's always watchable and Reigns isn't anywhere near as awful as some people think. If they want to talk about shoving corporate stuff down people's throats the women's stuff is worse.

Edited by Vinjay17

He wrestled under some other names as well before coming up with the Big Daddy idea. Really anything could be considered an update as far as in ring performance goes. Of course not all the wrestlers were like BD but obviously it's not gonna look like matches from the 60's and 70's. I imagine it's a form of "family safe" viewing probably with a lot of flippy floppy stuff and the usual brightly lit sets, etc. Obviously it's not gonna be barbed wire death matches on ITV but it's hardly "low rent" compared to "reality" shows with the main premise being who might sleep with each other. I did hear they used the "rounds system" that British Wrestling once used but not sure if that's been continued on the latest shows. 

Edited by Vinjay17

• Backroom
22 hours ago, Vinjay17 said:

I didn't watch Summerslam but mostly read about the main event. 6 minutes is a bit too short for a PPV main event but of course many people didn't particularly want to see Reigns v Lesnar. Though the match itself (partly due to Stowman's involvement) sounds like they made it watchable. Lesnar's always watchable and Reigns isn't anywhere near as awful as some people think. If they want to talk about shoving corporate stuff down people's throats the women's stuff is worse.

6 minutes is about right for a Brock Lesnar match. The guy gets blown up so easily in a competitive match. You could see at the end of his match with AJ Styles a few months ago he was totally out on his feet.

Reigns is decent but his booking has been horrific. WWE have made him into the next John Cena, which has its good and its bad points. Fact is WWE doesn't care what the fans want anymore, much like Premier League clubs the TV deal the WWE now has rules over everything else. 

NXT Takeover was the best show of the weekend by far. Watching the Takeover shows is a real privilege and it's hard to believe it comes under the WWE umbrella at times. 

• Like 1