BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Wrestling Entertainment - we know, you don't have to tell us!

Magic Johnson, if people know who he was, big basketball player, he contracted the HIV virus in 1992 and yes, some players were hesitant to play with him. You are on the basketball court, people are sweating. Of course, some people are going to be apprehensive and perhaps the chances of transmission are minute.

https://www.nytimes.com/1992/11/01/sports/basketball-johnson-s-return-to-league-isn-t-welcomed-by-some.html

In this article, paywall but nonetheless, that's what it talks about. My last word on all of this, I don't mean to derail this thread.

Rest in peace Harley Race

• Backroom
9 hours ago, Vinjay17 said:

The question is how much has TNT changed? It's a big step for them to bring back professional wrestling considering the same network took it off the air (when they had a willing buyer to run and administrate day to day) so who really knows what their standards/practices are now. A lot of people at Turner looked down on Pro Wrestling but perhaps they have adapted from that kind of snobbery. The guy who cancelled Nitro/Thunder left years ago. 

Also have to remember it's still TV 14. So either that's paranoia over the slightest violence OR they are willing to "push the envelope" somewhat. Vince thinks TNT won't put up with certain things (and maybe they won't with blood) but they might allow more than WCW did (pre 2000 anyway). At one time WCW was so politically correct that they labelled foreign objects as international objects. I'm sure it's going to be a bit more sensible than that and apparently even Turner laughed when he heard about it.

I don't think Turner will be as bad as they were in the 90s, but obviously as a big corporation they will still be very conscious of both their image and the image of their network. I get the feeling they're bringing AEW in as a "sports" type of show rather than a male soap opera - similar to how FOX want Smackdown to be presented. I don't think they'll want much controversy out of it, just good action and solid storytelling which keeps people coming back. In truth not too dissimilar to what WCW was between 1996-1998. 

I doubt there's a hatred of wrestling within Turner like there was in the 90s, I'd guess they just see it as a commodity with the potential to draw very good ratings with minimal outlay. Basically a fairly safe business move. The fact they don't own AEW means that they have totally different and much less responsibility compared to WCW. 

• Backroom
8 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I would have him go after Rollins, with the title and then have Finn Balor return as the demon to battle for it at Wrestlemania 

I like Finn pursuing the title as part of OC, but Fiend must destroy the Demon. It needs to spend a good year or two utterly undefeated if it's to keep an aura.

That was the problem with cult leader Bray.

Edited by Mike E
  • Like 1

• Backroom

Wyatt has been the sole bright point of Raw for the past few months with his amazing Firefly Funhouse segments. I love what they're doing with it so far, and apparently the plan is to have Bray appear sporadically to increase the mystique, hence his non-appearance on Raw & Smackdown this week. I don't trust WWE creative to do this justice long-term, but it's been great so far. Wyatt's character desperately needed a refresh and this is an incredible way to do it without completely abandoning his previous character work. 

There are a lot of rumours that Finn is planning to take some time off soon, so it would make perfect sense for the Demon's first loss to be at the hands of the Fiend. It gives a massive credibility boost to Wyatt and sets up a return feud down the line if they want to go in that direction. You could easily have Wyatt win this feud by banishing Finn/the Demon, then have a final showdown at WrestleMania where the Demon exacts his revenge - as at the end of the day the good guys should go over. If done correctly it doesn't have to damage Bray at all, although WWE aren't exactly good at doing things correctly so I have my doubts as to whether they could. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Backroom

I'm really enjoying AEW tbh. Can't wait for them to get started on TNT. The biggest benefit to AEW starting up is that it's kicked WWE up the backside and got them moving in a different direction. They reportedly even had a few promos that weren't fully scripted this week. 

• Backroom
On 05/09/2019 at 22:09, Miller11 said:

Not been on here for a bit. Current thoughts:

AEW is rubbish.

TakeOver Cardiff was fantastic.

AEW is certainly not rubbish, behave. All Out wasn't their best show, but was at least as good as Takeover Cardiff.

11 hours ago, Mike E said:

AEW is certainly not rubbish, behave. All Out wasn't their best show, but was at least as good as Takeover Cardiff.

Seriously Mike? Nowhere near the standard of takeover. Match for match there is absolutely no comparison. Not to mention the production values, pacing, psychology. Far too much amateurish nonsense to be anything like a threat to anything WWE puts out. Janela, Havoc, Stunt, Cassidy, Dark Order, Chuck Taylor, Nakazawa, Librarians for starters are all dire and you can see better wrestlers at any indie show in any town on any given weekend. Omega and the young Bucks are just overhyped high spot merchants. MJF is the best heel in the world but not used properly. SCU under-utilised. Jericho, Cody, Page, private party and Pac are fantastic, oh, and Dustin obviously. Coming across as being jobs for the boys and inside jokes playing to a very narrow fan base. I think they will be luck to survive 6 months.

• Backroom
9 hours ago, Miller11 said:

Seriously Mike? Nowhere near the standard of takeover. Match for match there is absolutely no comparison. Not to mention the production values, pacing, psychology. Far too much amateurish nonsense to be anything like a threat to anything WWE puts out. Janela, Havoc, Stunt, Cassidy, Dark Order, Chuck Taylor, Nakazawa, Librarians for starters are all dire and you can see better wrestlers at any indie show in any town on any given weekend. Omega and the young Bucks are just overhyped high spot merchants. MJF is the best heel in the world but not used properly. SCU under-utilised. Jericho, Cody, Page, private party and Pac are fantastic, oh, and Dustin obviously. Coming across as being jobs for the boys and inside jokes playing to a very narrow fan base. I think they will be luck to survive 6 months.

Production of a 9-month old start-up that's officially done 4 shows and only pushes 45mins-1hr of YouTube each week, versus a decades old $bn company that pushes a minimum of 6hours content every week? Ofc they're gunna be a little shaky, but only to the tune of a couple of camera cuts and one name banner error.

Janela, Havoc, Stunt, and Cassidy deserve more credit than give imo. Certainly Omega and the Young Bucks are among the world's finest, calling them spot monkeys gives me the impression you haven't watched much of them pre-AEW. You'd know they are anything but that. Missed out Moxley (admittedly not on All Out), and Excalibur rapidly becoming a superb commentator.

Agreed on the rest, to a degree, but the 'inside jokes' are generally related to modern pop/gaming culture. If one were to follow their YouTube channels, it'd be easier to go along with (after all that's their equivalent to TV until next next month).

If you just watch their wrestling shows as standalone shows without following their week-to-week YouTube, I understand how you'd conclude what you have though.

I think when they find their feet on TV they'll basically be the US answer to NJPW. They definitely need to change the rhythm of matches though. The odd 3-min match is ok instead of every match going 15mins plus.

I doubt they're looking to 'threaten' WWE, they just want to be another wrestling show. WWE must feel threatened though, putting their best show up against it on a Wednesday.

Edited by Mike E

Not seen any AEW but the UK Takeover was very good. The triple threat tag match - a difficult match to pull off - was exceptional, and all the others (bar the Women's match) we're all good to very good. An excellent show imo. 

On a couple of wrestling sites and by Jim Ross himself, it's been commented that the AEW younger stars are more concerned with getting all their moves in rather than selling and telling a good match. Hard to comment given not seen much of it but the length of matches from reviews I have read suggest there may be some milage in this. 

• Backroom

They've only done a few PPVs and don't have a TV product until October so it's understandable that the matches would be more style than substance at the moment. You can only do so much with YouTube as a promotion tool. They're trying to make a huge impression with the matches to get people to tune into the regular product on TNT. The ladder match between The Young Bucks & Pentagon and Fenix at All Out was sensational. So much so that it kind of overshadowed the main event (which I thought was a bit of a disappointment).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Backroom

AEW have released the Dynamite intro video:

https://twitter.com/AEWrestling/status/1178701033712820224?s=08

Pretty huge week for wrestling. The new Raw/Smackdown presentations with Smackdown debuting Friday on FOX, plus the debut of AEW Dynamite on TNT on Wednesday and the beginning of the 'Wednesday Night War' with NXT airing opposite on USA. 

Edited by DE.

• Backroom
Just now, DE. said:

AEW have released the Dynamite intro video:

https://twitter.com/AEWrestling/status/1178701033712820224?s=08

Pretty huge week for wrestling. The new Raw/Smackdown presentations with Smackdown debuting Friday on FOX, plus the debut of AEW Dynamite on TNT on Wednesday and the beginning of the 'Wednesday Night War' with NXT airing opposite on USA. 

AEW not airing live in the UK is a huge downer though. We only get the repeat.

AEW's lack of UK airtime live will be their biggest downfall on this side of the pond. WWE has done quite a lot in Blackpool and the UK stuff has been pretty nice to follow. As a UK fan I have nothing to draw me into AEW besides general intrigue into a new brand. Looking forward to Smackdown really more than anything. #bringbackthefist

• Backroom

From what I read the breakdown in UK TV discussions was between ITV and TNT over ad time. The original plan was purportedly for AEW to air live with a replay the following day and the Sunday morning slot. Instead they've now just got the Sunday slot, which is death. I think it will get resolved and they will get a better place in the schedule, but it'll kill the early momentum right out the gate in the UK which is a shame. 

Smackdown will be very interesting. FOX wanted a more sports-orientated product so we're likely to see something quite different.