BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

• Backroom

For anyone that can handle foreign language and subtitles, I've just got into this show. 

Fauda.jpg

I'm currently halfway through the 3 seasons. It's excellent. 

Gets 100% from Rotten Tomatoes.  To put that in perspective other shows that score 100% are: 24, Sopranos, The Wire, Breaking Bad and Fargo. 

Tip: In Uk it will be set to dubbed audio. Switch it to Arabic and use subtitles only. You have to hear the inflections in their voices to appreciate the tone and emotion.  (And dubbing is just generally awful). 

8 hours ago, Silas said:

For anyone that can handle foreign language and subtitles, I've just got into this show. 

Fauda.jpg

A superb film from the early 90's - City of God - subtitled in Portuguese.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0317248/

I put of watching it for years due to the subtitles, but wish I hadn't, great film.

Ps - I watched season 1 episode 1 of Top Boy on Tuesday night, that could have done with subtitles, couldn't understand a word of it :D - But its got me interested, appreciate the heads up.

Edited by Gav
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

I had to check, 2002 that came out. Had a little panic there as I remember watching it, was sure it wasn’t 30 years ago! ^_^

Yes sorry Matty, my mistake, it even says it on the link I posted :rolleyes:

• Backroom
3 hours ago, Inglorious basturk said:

Ignore me it’s not , however it looks up my straße rather than dragons or drug dealers with silly catchphrases 

Isreal/Palestine conflict. 

You mean like "wagwan fam". ?

25 minutes ago, Gav said:

A superb film from the early 90's - City of God - subtitled in Portuguese.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0317248/

I put of watching it for years due to the subtitles, but wish I hadn't, great film.

Ps - I watched season 1 episode 1 of Top Boy on Tuesday night, that could have done with subtitles, couldn't understand a word of it :D - But its got me interested, appreciate the heads up.

Yeah caught 30 mins of City of God once, and was gripped.  Always meant to go back and do entire thing but never got round to it.

You're supposed to be watching Topboy Summerhouse before Season 1 episode 1. 

8 minutes ago, Silas said:

I know I know.... just came across Topboy and jumped straight in, I'll look for summerhouse once I've finished The Wire.

• Backroom

Last season of Schitt's Creek available on Netflix from today. Really recommend it as a light comedy that manages to be 'real' rather than full of pure sitcom tropes.

Not 'must watch', but well-written and easy to watch, with great comic leads in Eugene Levy and Catherine O'Hara.

25 minutes ago, Silas said:

Yeah caught 30 mins of City of God once, and was gripped.  Always meant to go back and do entire thing but never got round to it.

I was thinking of ‘bitches !!!’ 

41 minutes ago, Gav said:

Yes sorry Matty, my mistake, it even says it on the link I posted :rolleyes:

Now this is showing off but I saw it at a tiny indie cinema in Nottingham with some uni mates who did film studies . They brought their mates shame meadows and Andrew shim ( while Romeo brass was in production )

Edited by Inglorious basturk

1 hour ago, Silas said:

You should watch City of god, it's brilliant. How scenes repeat from different character's perspectives, the story is told and so on is so we'll put together.

• Like 1

• Backroom
1 hour ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

You should watch City of god, it's brilliant. How scenes repeat from different character's perspectives, the story is told and so on is so we'll put together.

It's been in my Netflix list for about 2 years.

Now 2 of you have bigged it up I'm gonna have to pull my finger out. 

The second part of Real Kashmir is on BBC Scotland. It covers David Robertson who upped sticks and went to Kashmir to manage the football team and it's trials and tribulations. It's not for the squeamish as the language is pretty choice but nonetheless it's very enjoyable.

Edited by arbitro

• Moderation Lead
1 hour ago, Silas said:

It's been in my Netflix list for about 2 years.

Now 2 of you have bigged it up I'm gonna have to pull my finger out. 

Make that 3, it’s a belter of a film.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Silas said:

Fauda.jpg

I'm currently halfway through the 3 seasons. It's excellent. 

Gets 100% from Rotten Tomatoes.  To put that in perspective other shows that score 100% are: 24, Sopranos, The Wire, Breaking Bad and Fargo. 

Tip: In Uk it will be set to dubbed audio. Switch it to Arabic and use subtitles only. You have to hear the inflections in their voices to appreciate the tone and emotion.  (And dubbing is just generally awful). 

Watched a couple . Has promise so far . 
people who won’t watch subtitles? Oh it’s called reading you should try it if you can 

• Backroom
39 minutes ago, Inglorious basturk said:

Watched a couple . Has promise so far . 
people who won’t watch subtitles? Oh it’s called reading you should try it if you can 

It builds from there. I almost bailed out after 2 episodes, (didn't help I watched episode 1 with the awful dubbing), thought I'll give it one more, and then I was hooked.

Watching now, Series 2, Episode 9, all sorts of drama going on. 

• Backroom
32 minutes ago, gumboots said:

I dont like subtitled programmes. I can read well enough but subtitles are rarely translations. Theres often a lot more said than they put on the subtitles. 

I used to be the same.

I had 2 rules, never watched anything in black and white ( other than Schindler's List, I mean old b & w), and never watched anything with subtitles. 

Then 5 seasons of Narcos converted me. 

I'm all over it now. Will be moving on to Money Heist with full subtitles next.  Heard good things. Again, I think a lot of people watch it with dubbing. 

I occasionally flick on the subtitles on French and German films, because I'm not reliant on them. I can understand what they're saying unless it's a really poor soundtrack which rarely happens nowadays. Having said that I dont like subtitles I'll probably watch Parasite when I can get round to it.

7 hours ago, gumboots said:

I dont like subtitled programmes. I can read well enough but subtitles are rarely translations. Theres often a lot more said than they put on the subtitles. 

Yes that’s true, the ideal would be to speak every language fluently I can only do Spanish and some would argue my English is dubious but they are still such an improvement on dubbing . 
what you say though , some languages have things that can’t be translated , the Germans I’m sure you know are ever so literal . Have you ever seen the Japanese film ‘ring ‘? There’s a bit that refers to a Japanese legend about a horse , in the American remake they literally just show a horse 

Edited by Inglorious basturk

7 hours ago, Silas said:

It builds from there. I almost bailed out after 2 episodes, (didn't help I watched episode 1 with the awful dubbing), thought I'll give it one more, and then I was hooked.

Watching now, Series 2, Episode 9, all sorts of drama going on. 

I seem to get in a flap nowadays if I’m confused after 3 minutes and asking my wife . “Are we supposed to know who he is yet ?” But then I’m fine . No I like the feel of it . I’m going to tel aviv in the new year which gives it added interest 

• Moderation Lead

I always found dubbing to make things a lot more cheesy, but then that may just have been the Chinese/Japanese martial arts films it was commonly featured in!

Subtitles aren’t ideal, but I’d certainly put up with them for good entertainment. It just means concentration has to be an all time high (and I remember to wear my glasses)!