BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

• Backroom

I know Amo is aghast by the divergence from the books, but it looks as if they are trying to merge back in some elements I thought were lost- i.e., Kingsmoot, the Blackfish etc.

Books and TV are very different media anyway. The imagination of the books wouldn't translate well to TV over the same timespan so it was inevitable that things would get jumbled up or left out entirely.

It's all with the author's blessing, which is good enough for me.

• Moderation Lead

This seasons had a few fun scenes but overall its been rubbish so far.

Give over! It's been way better than the last 2! Although the resurrection was ridiculous.

Give over! It's been way better than the last 2! Although the resurrection was ridiculous.

Too much filler not enough meat,

Pretty much everything that happens off the mainland has been pretty forgettable(and just plain silly in arias case)

Edited by T J Hooker

TJ has a point re non Kings Landing/North story lines- I was surprised they went back to the Iron Islands, bit of a borefest, they've made a complete hash of Dorne, not convinced by the Meereen stuff and the Ayra storyline needs to get a move on.

TJ has a point re non Kings Landing/North story lines- I was surprised they went back to the Iron Islands, bit of a borefest, they've made a complete hash of Dorne, not convinced by the Meereen stuff and the Ayra storyline needs to get a move on.

There where two main things in last nights episode that i just couldnt see the logic to, 1. seriously he could have held that door for a day and still bran wouldn't have got more than a half a mile away being dragged along the ground by that girl, so there is simply no way they could out run the white walkers 2. how the hell did theon, his sister and the thousands of people it must have taken to sail those fleeing ships just slip away when the guy that was elected leader and his remaining people where only around the corner for seemingly not very long going through the little baptism/drowning ritual ANd also how many people live in these iron isles, surely it must have taken the majority of them to sail those ships, so who exactly is going to be building and sailing the requested 1000 new ships(that will no doubt be built in less than a few episodes.

Oh! and finally a few more things that eirked me, did that play scene really have to go on sooo long(as funny as it was) Do we really need another ruddy red witch(or any new key characters at all tbh) and really what is the big fuss about the dire wolves, they seem to just get killed with little effort or much resistance.

Edited by T J Hooker

• Moderation Lead

Only realised this afternoon, the train wreck that is Chris Evans' Top Gear is on Sunday night.

I'll be honest, I've always found it hard to believe anyone would get enthusiastic about Top Gear in any guise, I always found it dull and didn't like any of he presenters. Clarkson was deservedly sacked (as any of us would have been for assaulting someone at work). He's got a lot of friends in the media who are desperate to tear Evans down though, they've done a number on the ginger one!!

I'll be honest, I've always found it hard to believe anyone would get enthusiastic about Top Gear in any guise, I always found it dull and didn't like any of he presenters. Clarkson was deservedly sacked (as any of us would have been for assaulting someone at work). He's got a lot of friends in the media who are desperate to tear Evans down though, they've done a number on the ginger one!!

Worldwide around 350 million, yes 350 million

First few series with them three (I was at uni around the time) couldn't get enough of it but the more deliberately staged it got, the more it bored me to tears. I'm not a big car fan tbh, but I had started to like the show. Can't see me watching Sunday though, Matt le Blanc and Chris Evans.... Just no.

Anyone watched "rovers" yet, going to give it a try but heard bad things.

• Like 1

I agree with bizzle on the top gear, it was good in the first few years and seemed genuinely unpredictable at times(even though it was likely staged even then) but i think probably after hammonds accident the show became ridiculously staged and lost its edge with mainly the challenge segments paying the price for that, so it seemed like clarkson had to resort to just being outspoken and controversial to keep the viewing figures up. Im not really interested in cars themselves but you cant deny the the cinematography and scenary on the show can be pretty amazing.

as for the new top gear, i cant stand evans but i really like Matt LeBlanc(He's brilliant in Episodes, which is a seriously underrated comedy imo) and i think he could be really funny if he plays up to the dumb arrogant american motor head stereotype, its just a shame he hasn't got a good British co presenter alongside him to play the more dry straight laced British stereotype.

Books and TV are very different media anyway. The imagination of the books wouldn't translate well to TV over the same timespan so it was inevitable that things would get jumbled up or left out entirely.

It's all with the author's blessing, which is good enough for me.

I'm aware of how the adaptation process works and the constraints of the TV show, but what they have adapted is crap. Sure, I'm a book snob about certain things and there are plenty of nitpicks, but the bottom line is... Game of Thrones isn't a good show. It's stupidly popular, but then so are the Kardashians. HBO have taken an epic fantasy saga, rich in lore and complex characters and turned it into poorly written schlock devoid of any nuance of understanding of the source material. And that's fine for your average TV viewer because they don't have the reference point and don't know any better. As long there's enough cheap shocks and titties on screen, then nothing else matters!
As for GRRM's approval, he's had less and less involvement on the show. I don't think he's even written an episode since Season 4. I've even heard that he's made a few ambiguous comments on his blog about the direction of the show. Although that's more fool him for selling out when he knew he was never going to finish the books in time. Not that his bank balance is hurting for it.
Edited by Amarillo

I'm aware of how the adaptation process works and the constraints of the TV show, but what they have adapted is crap. Sure, I'm a book snob about certain things and there are plenty of nitpicks, but the bottom line is... Game of Thrones isn't a good show. It's stupidly popular, but then so are the Kardashians. HBO have taken an epic fantasy saga, rich in lore and complex characters and turned it into poorly written schlock devoid of any nuance of understanding of the source material. And that's fine for your average TV viewer because they don't have the reference point and don't know any better. As long there's enough cheap shocks and titties on screen, then nothing else matters!
As for GRRM's approval, he's had less and less involvement on the show. I don't think he's even written an episode since Season 4. I've even heard that he's made a few ambiguous comments on his blog about the direction of the show. Although that's more fool him for selling out when he knew he was never going to finish the books in time. Not that his bank balance is hurting for it.

Season 1 and 2 were fairly faithful to the books, since then they have gone off piste to quite a large extent.

Personally I think the disjointed, cumbersome tome that is A Feast for Crows is a reason for them diverting heavily away from the books from about season 4 . The first three books were well written, 'Crows is just a mess- page after page of Martin at his rambling worst.

• Backroom

Are we going to see hordor become a whitewalker now(presuming he didnt survive)

Wight, not a walker imo. I think there'll be some twist that Bran can still warg into him.

The guy who plays Hodor said he's coming back apparently :)

I was expecting the new top gear to be a car crash with ginger balls at the helm, but I have to say it was a solid show, evans may be a doosh but history shows that he knows how to make a good live audience tv show(big breakfast, don't forget your tooth bush, tfi friday,) The tone is different, this is less cynical, more family friendly and Matt Le blanc is clearly an uber geek when it comes to motors and I though he came across really well and very sincere, The banter was a bit awkward but i think it will improve and become more natural with time(if they get the time)

Edited by T J Hooker
  • Like 1