BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

How does Game of Thrones compare to the books? Is it like most things where the books are better? I take it you highly recommend the books? And do the books get better/worse or stay roughly the same as they progress? I get the impression when watching Game of Thrones that it hasn't truly kicked off yet if you get what I mean....maybe not counting the last episode.

Re Game of Thrones Books, they're good, but I'm getting to the point where he really needs to START MAKING THINGS TIE UP. That's all I can say without major spoilers.

At least with LOTR you know there's only 3 books & there will be an ending. Im not sure Martin knows how it's going to finish. And he's five books in

Although Blackwater was very good "There's some very brave men knocking at our door, let's go and kill them"

How does Game of Thrones compare to the books? Is it like most things where the books are better? I take it you highly recommend the books? And do the books get better/worse or stay roughly the same as they progress? I get the impression when watching Game of Thrones that it hasn't truly kicked off yet if you get what I mean....maybe not counting the last episode.

Season 1 was a pretty faithful adaptation to the first book.

Season 2 has taken a lot of liberties. Some changes are forced and others are just baffling. But then Book 2 is a lot more complicated than the first and doesn't really have a central protagonist like Book 1 did with Ned.

Book 3 is considered to be the very best, whereas Books 4 & 5 have been panned in some quarters as glorified filler.

Edited by Topman

The books are fantastic. I can't recommend them highly enough. However, even after 5 (huge) books, things haven't truly kicked off. It's a very slow burn.

Edited by Rovermatt

GRRM has said he's always aimed for seven books, due to the significance of seven, but he wouldn't be surprised if he went over that. He needs to start cutting down on all the unnecessary fluff used in his recent installments. It shouldn't take over 6000 pages to wrap this thing up.

Comedy - Arrested Develepmont is very funny once you get into it. Most of the actors have gone on to bigger things after it was wrongly cancelled.

Entourage is pretty hilarious once you get into that also as the characters are not very likeable at first. Summer Heights High especially and also Angry Boys can be really funny.

Drama - Highly recommend Boardwalk Empire, Breaking Bad and Band of Brothers/The Pacific. Also Game of Thrones and Californication.

Have heard good things about Spartucus: Blood and Sand, American Horror Story, Mad Men and Underbelly

• Moderation Lead

Comedy - Arrested Develepmont is very funny once you get into it. Most of the actors have gone on to bigger things after it was wrongly cancelled.

Entourage is pretty hilarious once you get into that also as the characters are not very likeable at first. Summer Heights High especially and also Angry Boys can be really funny.

Drama - Highly recommend Boardwalk Empire, Breaking Bad and Band of Brothers/The Pacific. Also Game of Thrones and Californication.

Have heard good things about Spartucus: Blood and Sand, American Horror Story, Mad Men and Underbelly

Seen all of the dramas etc, currently on The Shield.

Want to watch GOT, but will wait for a while- don't like long waits between seasons!

So who is everyone's favourite GoT character?

Mine has got to be Jaime Lannister.

I think the show sullied Jaime's character somewhat with what he did in Episode 7 of Season 2. Most of Jaime's crimes were inflicted on him (pushing Bran to protect Cersei), (killing King Aerys because.... well read the books). What he did in Episode 7 never happened in the book and was completely gratuitous. He has a few more karma cookies to win back now. But in the books, yeah, he's one of my favourite POV characters.

A lot of what is great has already been said but just want to throw one out there I haven't seen mentioned yet: House of Lies on Showtime. Very good first series, 12 episodes. Don Cheadle, Kristen Bell, Richard Schiff ,Ben Schwartz, and quite a few more.

Also, obligatory BSG and GoT endorsements.

• 3 weeks later...

The new Alan Partridge program currently tickling us. The fact we can see parallels with a certain PR man makes it even funnier.

Not watched the new programme, yet. Is it a replaying of the Fosters Webisodes - with added stuff?

Highly recommend "I Partridge. We Need to Talk About Alan." Especially the audio version! Absolute genius.

I`m upto episode eight I think of Breaking Bad season two. It`s beginning to take over my life. I usually put Netflix on about ten PM, and plan to watch one episode, but often it gets to another, then I wake up around half twelve three episodes later, vaguely confused. Next night I have to skim through and work out where I fell asleep the previous evening.