BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

• Backroom
Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Doesn't owned Sky anymore. 

Only owned The Sun and The Times/Sunday Times doesn't he? 

Yep, 2 widely read papers among the working and the middle class respectively. Thankfully the Sun is experiencing lower and lower readership.

6 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Started watching Succesion. The producer of Peep show, with Will Ferrell. What a dream team. I was really enjoying it, but got around 5 episodes in and just lost interest. Anyone else watch it? Worth sticking with? 

Yes and Yes. Not quite as good as the reviews suggest but still very good.

On 20/07/2020 at 12:11, Mike E said:

Yep, 2 widely read papers among the working and the middle class respectively. Thankfully the Sun is experiencing lower and lower readership.

The Times and Sunday Times are the very best of print journalism. Balanced editorial line and columnists from across the political spectrum.

In what way do the Times/Sunday Times have a negative impact on British society and politics?

• Backroom
Just now, Mattyblue said:

The Times and Sunday Times are the very best of print journalism. Balanced editorial line and columnists from across the political spectrum.

In what way do the Times/Sunday Times have a negative impact on British society and politics?

Specifically those papers, no negative. I only read them and the Guardian.

However the Murdoch ownership issue (of various media outlets) has had huge negative impact imo.

I would say his empire is retrenching, Sky sold, 20th Century Fox sold, National Geographic sold, News of the World closed. The Sun is his only mass market vehicle left in this country and print media’s reach is getting ever smaller.

Trinity Mirror (Reach) are now the biggest print news group  - Daily Mirror, Sunday Mirror, Daily Express, Sunday Express, Daily Star, Daily Record, a host of local titles.

Edited by Mattyblue

• Backroom
3 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

I would say his empire is retrenching, Sky sold, 20th Century Fox sold, National Geographic sold, News of the World closed. The Sun is his only mass market vehicle left in this country and print media’s reach is getting ever smaller.

Trinity Mirror (Reach) are now the biggest print news group  - Daily Mirror, Sunday Mirror, Daily Express, Sunday Express, Daily Star, Daily Record, a host of local titles.

Fair point. As chaddy also noted earlier, his no longer owning Sky is a massive loss to his influence.

Edited by Mike E

• 1 month later...
  • Backroom
1 hour ago, Mike E said:

As a fan of Karate Kid growing up, I love love LOVE Cobra Kai!

What about a non Karate Kid fan?

My mate recommended it to me last night.

Told him I hated Karate Kid and found "Daniel san" irritating. 

He said I would be hooked after 2 episodes. ?

• Backroom
Just now, Silas said:

What about a non Karate Kid fan?

My mate recommended it to me last night.

Told him I hated Karate Kid and found "Daniel san" irritating. 

He said I would be hooked after 2 episodes. ?

It's good, not told from the goody goody POV. Told from Johnny's (bad guy in the film) POV and adds a lot of depth to the story.

Try it, only 30min episodes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike E said:

It's good, not told from the goody goody POV. Told from Johnny's (bad guy in the film) POV and adds a lot of depth to the story.

Try it, only 30min episodes.

My wife was watching it , I’d not actually watched karate kid so we watched it . Was ok , not the goonies debacle she put me through .  sanctimonious old man , Daniel like a young smutty John travolta wins with an illegal kick . 
cobra Kai was fine , feel good think breaking bad ... too jazzy 

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve just watched ‘Once we were brothers’ a documentary about The Band by Robbie Robertson.

Anyone who loves music will know about The Band, from Bob Dylan’s backing band to The Last Waltz, genius. 

A must for all music fans.

Watch The Last Waltz if you can’t watch the documentary. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Gav said:

I’ve just watched ‘Once we were brothers’ a documentary about The Band by Robbie Robertson.

Anyone who loves music will know about The Band, from Bob Dylan’s backing band to The Last Waltz, genius. 

They were top drawer in their day - " Stage Fright ", " The Shape I'm in " etc. Not massive hits like " The Weight " was but great songs.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

They were top drawer in their day - " Stage Fright ", " The Shape I'm in " etc. Not massive hits like " The Weight " was but great songs.

The Last Waltz was the last time they ever played together, tremendous, probably the best live recording of a concert ever, everyone played, Dillon, Young, Mitchel, Dr John, Ronnie Hawkins, Neil Diamond, Mavis Staples, the list goes on and directed by Scorsese:

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0077838/

Edited by Gav
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Gav said:

I lost my copy of The Last Waltz in an HD failure a year or so ago, it cost me about 750 GBs of music videos.

On reading your post I sourced and downloaded the Last Waltz and Once Were Brothers in about 30 minutes and have just spent the past couple of hours watching the latest one. I'll watch The Last Waltz later today

Words almost fail me. Superb stuff and brings back a load of good memories.

Thanks. I owe you one :) and God bless the Internet.

• Like 2

I’m sat here watching the first 15 minutes of Saving Private Ryan - Harrowing, traumatic, heroic and more superlatives I can’t think of right now.

Speilbergs a genius, truly takes you to heart of the battle, hero’s everyone one of them.

I’m also minded at this stage to mention Schindler’s List - A film that should be shown in every school across the globe. 

We are moaning and groaning about wearing face masks, not able to go to the pub, can’t follow rules on social distancing........

Try doing all the above whilst avoiding machine gun fire......

Edited by Gav
  • Like 1