BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished 1st series of Schitts creek on Netflix.

very, very funny. 6 series in total but easy to watch because an episode only lasts 20 mins. As with most successful TV, the characters make it.

It must be funny because it even makes my wife laugh - and she has no sense of humour.

• Like 2

• Backroom
8 hours ago, den said:

Just finished 1st series of Schitts creek on Netflix.

very, very funny. 6 series in total but easy to watch because an episode only lasts 20 mins. As with most successful TV, the characters make it.

It must be funny because it even makes my wife laugh - and she has no sense of humour.

Loved it, was our first Lockdown binge watch. 'Fold in the cheese' describes every effort that my mum made to teach me how to cook 😂

8 hours ago, Mike E said:

Loved it, was our first Lockdown binge watch. 'Fold in the cheese' describes every effort that my mum made to teach me how to cook 😂

The kids get me. That Alexis isn’t cut out for picking litter up for a living, or painting the side of a shed with a roller is she 😂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

There was a good film on Saturday night. " The Hill " with Sean Connery. Connery thought it was his favourite performance.

Seen it before, years ago, B&W I think Tyrone? 

Very good.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, den said:

Just watched the ripper on Netflix. 4 - 1hr episodes documenting the Yorkshire rippers attacks and following the police handling of the case. Seen these kind of progs before but this one is the best one IMO. Very interesting.

My son mentioned this a few days ago, I’ll certainly be taking a look. 

• Like 1

• Backroom
50 minutes ago, den said:

Just watched the ripper on Netflix. 4 - 1hr episodes documenting the Yorkshire rippers attacks and following the police handling of the case. Seen these kind of progs before but this one is the best one IMO. Very interesting.

Fascinating insight that even the police can be dragged down red herring rabbit holes even with the evidence literally stood in front of them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, den said:

I saw it Den and it was probably the most in depth crime series I have seen. It was an awful time as fear was rampant in the north. The catalogue of errors from senior policeman clearly lead to more fear and deaths. The temerity of the one who, because of his incompetence retired early, bought a villa in Spain and then sold his story to a tacky tabloid.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, den said:

Watched this one last week. Thought it was excellent & very in depth. Certainly didn't try to sugar coat all the police failings.

There's another one on Discovery+ (free for 12mths for Sky VIP members) about Saville. Not as good or in depth as the Ripper one, but gives an interesting insight about how he was literally 'hiding in plain sight' for years & got away with it.

Edited by windymiller7
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, windymiller7 said:

Watched this one last week. Thought it was excellent & very in depth. Certainly didn't try to sugar coat all the police failings.

There's another one on Discovery+ (free for 12mths for Sky VIP members) about Saville. Not as good or in depth as the Ripper one, but gives an interesting insight about how he was literally 'hiding in plain sight' for years & got away with it.

Might give that one a go then 👍

• Like 1

21 hours ago, den said:

I just finished it. It was superb.

I have vague memories of it all as a kid.

It spent very little time dealing into why he did it and lots on the police efforts to catch him.

Britain was a different place in the late 70's, a lot of the political uncertainty and societal changes taking place factored into how it took so long to catch him. Fascinating.

Sutcliffe died of Covid last month. 

• Like 3

On 24/12/2020 at 16:28, speeeeeeedie said:

It spent very little time dealing into why he did it and lots on the police efforts to catch him.

Britain was a different place in the late 70's, a lot of the political uncertainty and societal changes taking place factored into how it took so long to catch him. Fascinating.

The fundamental mistake they made was persisting with the theory that the " Ripper " had a Sunderland accent when after a few months it was pretty obvious that wasn't the case. By that time any man in the age bracket who sounded like that had been interviewed and excluded. A pal of mine was interviewed at the time. He was came from that area of Sunderland but he could prove that was in the RAF in Germany at that time.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

On 24/12/2020 at 16:28, speeeeeeedie said:

I remember it quite clearly. My younger sister was at Uni in Hull at the time and they set up a system of volunteers to walk girls home from events so they weren't out alone after dark. One of the victims was local to us. My friend had taught her in Sunday School. 

On 23/12/2020 at 19:59, den said:

Let me know what you thought.

Finished The Yorkshire Ripper last night, very good den.

The thing that strikes me every time I watch anything on Ripper is how the police demonised/categorised those poor women, more or less saying they deserved it.

Different times I know, but shocking to see these days.

• Like 3

• Backroom
2 hours ago, Gav said:

Finished The Yorkshire Ripper last night, very good den.

The thing that strikes me every time I watch anything on Ripper is how the police demonised/categorised those poor women, more or less saying they deserved it.

Different times I know, but shocking to see these days.

That got me a bit, when they suddenly described one as 'innocent'. The irony of it being that (according to my dad, who was often in police buildings as an electrician at the time) there was talk among northern police officers of having it off with prostitutes and refusing to pay them.

There will be several officers (possibly even in that documentary) degrading the victims who were prostitutes publicly, possibly to distance themselves from having used their services.

People complain about the police now, but there's plenty of improvement in standards of conduct over the last 40-50 years.

I hope.

Edited by Mike E

2 minutes ago, den said:

Just finished the last of Schitts creek. It goes beyond being funny. You grow into the programme and the characters. There is a follow up episode that’s worth watching. The show went huge and I can see why.

It's what i would call a feel good watch,it's the kind of series where you can watch and just get rid of the troubles in life for a while.

• Like 2