BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

nightlife in blackburn

I was in Darwen on Saturday night and didn't even go into The Bridgewater! Though I did end up in Level One with my mate until daft o'clock!

Oh aye I don't mean nowadays like, just when it first opened up (avenues for others to follow). I do believe it's still popular though I haven't been in years. Level One is another I wouldn't step foot in, though maybe I'm just a grumpy sod!

Number 39 is one of the places for me in Darwen, good ale and smells like a sweaty mop, the way all good pubs should smell!

Oh for the days of The Vulcan and The Peel! :(

In one of the back rooms of the Vulcan was an old fireplace with a small, wooden shelf over it. My mate Gus Goldsbrough kept laughing and asked me to put Whole Lotta Rosie on the jukebox.

I finally gave in and on it went.

Straight away a local loon some how climbed onto the shelf over the fireplace facing the wall, (narrow, his feet were at quarter to three) and danced to the whole record without falling off.

THAT'S a pub.

• Like 4

In one of the back rooms of the Vulcan was an old fireplace with a small, wooden shelf over it. My mate Gus Goldsbrough kept laughing and asked me to put Whole Lotta Rosie on the jukebox.

I finally gave in and on it went.

Straight away a local loon some how climbed onto the shelf over the fireplace facing the wall, (narrow, his feet were at quarter to three) and danced to the whole record without falling off.

THAT'S a pub.

Grown men cried the day they knocked it down

• Like 3

Oh aye I don't mean nowadays like, just when it first opened up (avenues for others to follow). I do believe it's still popular though I haven't been in years. Level One is another I wouldn't step foot in, though maybe I'm just a grumpy sod!

Number 39 is one of the places for me in Darwen, good ale and smells like a sweaty mop, the way all good pubs should smell!

JD Meatyard live at No 39 tonight.

• Moderation Lead

Ordinarily I wouldn't go to Level One, but I hadn't seen my mate for a while so he forced my hand! Number 39 is a good spot, I watched a reggae band there at Darwen Live!

• 1 year later...
  • Moderation Lead

'Prominent' forum members myself and Biz will be playing at an event at The Cellar Bar in Blackburn, Friday March 2nd. The event starts at 9pm, but Biz's band are playing 10-11 and I'll be doing an indie DJ set (but probably going slightly left field as well) 11-2am.

It would be grand if any forum members were able to come along!

Edited by K-Hod
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderation Lead
On 30/01/2018 at 13:39, K-Hod said:

'Prominent' forum members myself and Biz will be playing at an event at The Cellar Bar in Blackburn, Friday March 2nd. The event starts at 9pm, but Biz's band are playing 10-11 and I'll be doing an indie DJ set (but probably going slightly left field as well) 11-2am.

Bump....

On 30/01/2018 at 13:39, K-Hod said:

How would you describe the kind of music that both you and Biz play.

• Moderation Lead
9 minutes ago, JAL said:

How would you describe the kind of music that both you and Biz play.

Thanks for the question JAL! I'll let Biz answer the question re his band as I can't really tell you off hand.....

As for me, well, as I said above- an Indie DJ set, but we're talking anything like rock 'n' roll, funk, soul, dance, hip-hop, ska, reggae, whatever works on the night!

Just now, K-Hod said:

Thanks for the question JAL! I'll let Biz answer the question re his band as I can't really tell you off hand.....

As for me, well, as I said above- an Indie DJ set, but we're talking anything like rock 'n' roll, funk, soul, dance, hip-hop, ska, reggae, whatever works on the night!

Never mind all that. Who's your agent?

Joking aside, hope it goes well chaps.

3 hours ago, K-Hod said:

Is this what you mean by left of field ?  give us a few tracks we can listen too cheers.

• Moderation Lead
19 hours ago, JAL said:

Is this what you mean by left of field ?  give us a few tracks we can listen too cheers.

As seen as it’s you, JAL, here’s one of my  recent(ish) playlists- https://serato.com/playlists/id:9960490/17-06-2017

If there’s anything in there you like it recognise, the night might just be for you....

Edited by K-Hod

58 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

As seen as it’s you, JAL, here’s one of my  recent(ish) playlists- https://serato.com/playlists/id:9960490/17-06-2017

If there’s anything in there you like it recognise, the night might just be for you....

Cheers K hod one or two jump out like Dexy's midnight runners, come on Eileen. Going to listen to one or two of the tracks later . What's the audience like for a session like this are they lively.

• Moderation Lead
56 minutes ago, JAL said:

Cheers K hod one or two jump out like Dexy's midnight runners, come on Eileen. Going to listen to one or two of the tracks later . What's the audience like for a session like this are they lively.

I’m not sure mate, I’m hoping so! It’s been a long time since I’ve played at this venue. The crowd at my usual gig are pretty lairy as it goes!

2 hours ago, K-Hod said:

Some interesting tunes there K-Hod. I'll add a few to my playlists. Living abroad I forget loads of songs that I like but never hear.

• Moderation Lead
On ‎30‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 13:39, K-Hod said:

Bump 2. This Friday.....

• 2 months later...

The Yin KIn.. My night out in those days   was a pub crawl of rock pubs though.before going there or for a curry at the Khyber 

The Charles Napier is the nearest thing nowadays....saw a Hawkwind tribute there  last year.

.In the 70s loved  bands at the Regent  then Vulcan.and its famous jukebox..Peepers when younger..Anyone remember songs on the Vulcan  jukebox or at Peepers..Heres one for anyone who remember Peepers....The Nantuket sleighride

It seems quite strange to think that Blackburn actually had a 'rock scene' back in the 90s.  ?

I remember The Grapes and also I think Cest La Vie was more alternative (if you remembered to go downstairs and not straight to Kamp Kylie, lol).

On ‎28‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 13:38, Husky said:

It seems quite strange to think that Blackburn actually had a 'rock scene' back in the 90s.  ?

I remember The Grapes and also I think Cest La Vie was more alternative (if you remembered to go downstairs and not straight to Kamp Kylie, lol).

It was alternative alright I remember going down there and everyone was drinking bottles of Newcastle Brown.

Bloody students, always have to be different ?