BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

nightlife in blackburn

• Backroom
On 31/01/2019 at 14:57, Bigdoggsteel said:

Did you frequent the premises? It sounds like a classy place going off the name anyway 

My ex worked there, spent many a Wednesday evening in Moist!

£10 entry and free beer once inside 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 14/12/2018 at 16:16, Biz said:

More like nightlife in Oswaldtwistle but just a quick shout out for the Tap Select bar in Oswaldtwistle.

Really cool beers, good food, cool atmosphere. On the site of the old TSB. Also an old mate of mine running it!

Oswaldtwistle is developing a real route once again too so I’d advise you have a go! 

C68EFA07-56F7-45EB-A50F-23D53F27C369.jpeg

Put my head in the door the other night, no one in there and I believe they've stopped serving food now. Not great signs but I'll pop in for a beer at some stage while I'm up.

Had a pint in there yesterday evening, atmosphere OK, beer was £4.25 which won't go down well in Ossy, fantastic selection of bottled stuff but think they may be missing a trick by not selling any mainstream stuff. Also heard they weren't serving food as there was a problem with the extractors in the kitchen.

Good luck to them but reckon it will need to pick up custom from out of the area to be successful as it's a fairly niche market.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, 70sBoy said:

Anyone remember a club which I think was on Bolton Rd on the way to Darwen which used to have a New Romantics night in 82-83?

Bogarts (think it was called something else at one stage) on Cranberry Lane? probably not the one your thinking as its not just off Bolton Road , but they did do New romantic nights around that time.

Could have been special nights at the Crown Social club or Hollins Grove.

Was it called the Red House @old darwen blue on Cravens brow? Seem to remember a band night in a function room there , maybe they had new romantic nights?

Edited by perthblue02

5 hours ago, 70sBoy said:

Anyone remember a club which I think was on Bolton Rd on the way to Darwen which used to have a New Romantics night in 82-83?

2 hours ago, perthblue02 said:

Bogarts (think it was called something else at one stage) on Cranberry Lane? probably not the one your thinking as its not just off Bolton Road , but they did do New romantic nights around that time.

Was it called the Red House @old darwen blue on Cravens brow? Seem to remember a band night in a function room there , maybe they had new romantic nights?

Cranberry Fold?

5 hours ago, perthblue02 said:

Bogarts rings a bell. It was definitely a 2 syllable word and I’m pretty sure it began with a B or a D,  so  Bentleys, Bogarts, Blakeys, Doobies .... something like that. I only went a handful of times on a mid-week night (Tue or Thurs was ‘Alternative’ night  if I remember rightly. Used to dress up like Gary Numan - Ha! ) It was definitely somewhere en route to Darwen as I used to get the bus which went under the bridge and along Bolton (?)  Rd 

1 hour ago, 70sBoy said:

Bogarts rings a bell. It was definitely a 2 syllable word and I’m pretty sure it began with a B or a D,  so  Bentleys, Bogarts, Blakeys, Doobies .... something like that. I only went a handful of times on a mid-week night (Tue or Thurs was ‘Alternative’ night  if I remember rightly. Used to dress up like Gary Numan - Ha! ) It was definitely somewhere en route to Darwen as I used to get the bus which went under the bridge and along Bolton (?)  Rd 

If you went to Bogarts and you weren't from Darwen you would definitely remember it. Parochial battles were a nightly occurrence. I took the worst kicking I ever got in that place. The era you describe is spot on for Bogarts.

• Like 2

Just now, 70sBoy said:

There was never even a hint of violence in the place I went to. Just kids dressed up to look like Bowie or Numan. But it was fairly quiet being a mid-week night

As someone above said, it was probably more likely to be the Red House or somewhere like that. 

1 hour ago, oldjamfan1 said:

As someone above said, it was probably more likely to be the Red House or somewhere like that. 

It does sound like there if the OP got the bus from Blackburn. 

Bogarts, the place where Darreners and Bowtoners showed what they really thought of each other. 

?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, old darwen blue said:

Bogarts, the place where Darreners and Bowtoners showed what they really thought of each other. 

?

Exactly mate. Not to mention the coach loads from Accy, Rishton and Great Harwood (the latter were who did me over, five of 'em)

On ‎10‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 10:36, oldjamfan1 said:

If you went to Bogarts and you weren't from Darwen you would definitely remember it. Parochial battles were a nightly occurrence. I took the worst kicking I ever got in that place. The era you describe is spot on for Bogarts.

That's right, no fun afterwards when you were stuck in the middle of nowhere trying to get back to Blackburn without getting a kicking.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I wrote this story in April about the possibility of the Grapes becoming a pub again.  This follows its present incarnation - Liz and Lil's - calling it a day.  Now the manager of Blackburn Times says her friend has got the place and will be re-opening it as a pub.  Hope she's right.

Could Blackburn's Grapes Become A Pub Again?

• 1 month later...

Seems that Clitheroe Kate was running a pub in 2009 at 6 Mincing Lane called, funnily enough, ‘Clitheroe Kate’s.’ It used to be ‘The Old Bank’.  Don’t know if it’s still there or if it’s been renamed.  Bar Ibiza crops up online a lot. Not sure if it’s the same place 

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/05/2019 at 10:40, Roving Mick said:

I wrote this story in April about the possibility of the Grapes becoming a pub again.  This follows its present incarnation - Liz and Lil's - calling it a day.  Now the manager of Blackburn Times says her friend has got the place and will be re-opening it as a pub.  Hope she's right.

Could Blackburn's Grapes Become A Pub Again?

The Grapes will be opening as a pub again on 30th August.  Four pubs on King William Street now - brilliant!